2023 Roster Discussion

Rosario.....not the most confident bloke but could the closer role suit him?
Possibly, or a 7th - 8th inning set-up guy when you need a K. My concern w closing would be his control. I know he was better this summer, but he seemed to average a BB/HBP per inning last year.

Advertisement
If Walters doesn’t actively want to be a starter, leave it alone unless the rotation is an absolute disaster again. I have a good amount of confidence in Ziehl transitioning to the Friday spot. Torres would be my early frontrunner to replace him as the primary setup man.

Roster as far as we know
Returning (20)
Dorian
Kayfus
Levenson
Rafe
Pitelli
Walters
Rosario
Garcia
Ligon
Ziehl
Gallo
Jones
Yoyo
Long
Villegas
Renzo
Torres
Gutierrez
Perez
Carrier

Freshman (13 or 14)
Martin
Cyr
Torres
Crowther
Walsh
Bermudez
Perez
Guevara
Scinta
Braendel
Derks
Dominguez
Fry
Morales (Not mentioned in 247 article from a few days ago)

JUCO(2)
Walters
Chestnutt

Portal(3)
Farrow
Scanlon
Gomez

Last edited:
If Walters doesn’t actively want to be a starter, leave it alone unless the rotation is an absolute disaster again. I have a good amount of confidence in Ziehl transitioning to the Friday spot. Torres would be my early frontrunner to replace him as the primary setup man.
That would be a luxury. Hopefully, Gino and J.D. can establish a consistent rotation, and hopefully, before the last month of the season.

Advertisement
Last edited:
Had some hype one upon a time

Last edited:
If it’s not a mistake by the Gulls (Garland withdrawls?), I suppose we need a live a body back there (if you’re not converting Cyr) and you’re hoping maybe Lopez can tap into the potential others have seen.

Last edited:
Jack is a great kid. I worked with him at a camp his sophomore year…maybe Junior year. I forget. But it was on the mound. He is a big kid and was already 87-88. I’d throw him back in the bump and see what happens. That’s where most wanted him early on.

Advertisement
Jack is a great kid. I worked with him at a camp his sophomore year…maybe Junior year. I forget. But it was on the mound. He is a big kid and was already 87-88. I’d throw him back in the bump and see what happens. That’s where most wanted him early on.
I was gonna say, his HS pitching stats were dominant. Maybe he's getting a shot at PITCHER here bc taking a 180 career hitter at any position seems like a waste.

If Walters wants 1.7 mill, then he needs to get drafted higher. To do this, he needs to address his shortcomings. Throwing your fastball 90% of the time, no matter how good it is, is a formula for disaster in affiliated ball. He needs three quality, plus pitches to make that impression on scouts. Being a starter gives the scouts a greater sample size to go on and increases their comfort level in spending a higher pick/more dollars. Also, if you look at the pitchers drafted in the first couple of rounds, they are overwhelmingly starters. Even Ben Joyce, who may be the hardest throwing human on the planet, went in the 3rd RD and only got 1 mill to sign.

Last edited:
Wow. Scanlon's career numbers are awful. He seems to have regressed too. JD Jones better not lose this competition.

The @canesbaseball twitter account liked the Gulls tweet about Scanlon so doesn’t seem to be an error

Advertisement
Definitely logic to bringing him in to pitch, while also having an experienced, if underwhelming at the plate, catcher on the roster in case Jones and/or Perez go down.

Oregon website says he transferred to Miami after 2022 season as well. So it’s not an error.

Oregon website says he transferred to Miami after 2022 season as well. So it’s not an error.
Hope he’s coming here for a fresh start on the bump as other have said already…

Because if he’s here to “compete” behind the plate… wooof I hope he’s paying his own way to get his degree…

Advertisement
Roster as far as we know
Returning (20)
Dorian
Kayfus
Levenson
Rafe
Pitelli
Walters
Rosario
Garcia
Ligon
Ziehl
Gallo
Jones
Yoyo
Long
Villegas
Renzo
Torres
Gutierrez
Perez
Carrier

Freshman (13 or 14)
Martin
Cyr
Torres
Crowther
Walsh
Bermudez
Perez
Guevara
Scinta
Braendel
Derks
Dominguez
Fry
Morales (Not mentioned in 247 article from a few days ago)

JUCO(1 or 2)
Walters
Chestnutt (Not mentioned in 247 article from a few days ago)

Portal(2)
Farrow
Scanlon
Central Florida’s baseball page still shows Chestnutt to be committed to us.

If Walters wants 1.7 mill, then he needs to get drafted higher. To do this, he needs to address his shortcomings. Throwing your fastball 90% of the time, no matter how good it is, is a formula for disaster in affiliated ball. He needs three quality, plus pitches to make that impression on scouts. Being a starter gives the scouts a greater sample size to go on and increases their comfort level in spending a higher pick/more dollars. Also, if you look at the pitchers drafted in the first couple of rounds, they are overwhelmingly starters. Even Ben Joyce, who may be the hardest throwing human on the planet, went in the 3rd RD and only got 1 mill to sign.
His number was $1.7 mill to sign. That's what he put the value of another year and probably completing his degree from Miami, being able to play a season with his brother, spending another season as a kid because playing minor league baseball is truly a job, and any NIL deals he might be able to sign as well. I doubt that he thought it was a legitimate ask and had his mind set on coming back no matter what.

His number was $1.7 mill to sign. That's what he put the value of another year and probably completing his degree from Miami, being able to play a season with his brother, spending another season as a kid because playing minor league baseball is truly a job, and any NIL deals he might be able to sign as well. I doubt that he thought it was a legitimate ask and had his mind set on coming back no matter what.
Wish it happened more often - kid has his priorities. Good for him.

A bit surprised we weren’t able to keep some kids like Palm, Burke, Garland, etc. with the money Ruiz has been throwing around in Football and Basketball. Especially since his son was a member of the team. If Ruiz does decide to go all in on baseball as well. Things could start getting interesting.

Advertisement
Back