2023 Roster Discussion

We’ll realistically need two catchers in that case. I don’t see one on our commit list.
We certainly need two.

Left handed hitting catchers are worth their weight in gold. Romero showed enough to prove he was worth a pick. IMO he should go. He would have to have a Grandal like season to slide up to that top 5 round range. It’s a big risk and another year on the knees, to come back.

Advertisement
Lotta players in the transfer portal, let’s get to recruiting.

Start with SS.
No need:
Blake Cyr is a 2022 SS/2B with a 6-0 175 lb. frame from Windermere, FL who attends Windermere. Tall and high waisted build with lots of room to fill out the frame. Ran a 6.60 in the sixty yard dash. A primary infielder, rangy shortstop with a quick first step and good lateral ability to both sides. Works the feet through the ball with balance and ability to change arm angles and throw on the run. A right-handed hitter, quick stroke and gets the barrel in the zone deep with a good plane. Can adjust the hands to barrel line drives with backspin to all fields. Plays with high energy and and can disrupt or produce runs. Very good student. Verbal commitment to Miami.

Pitelli didn't hit for sh#t in high school. He's actually hit better as a D1 player. Cyr hit for average and power and stole a lot of bases with that 6.60. Should be an interesting SS competition.

Advertisement
Anyone seen any JUCO names other than Walters brother?

I spoke with Brian Walters at the Ole Miss game. I asked him if he can touch 99 like his brother. He laughed and said not yet, he's gotten it up to 95. He said give me a couple years in the weight room and I'll get there. I than asked him if we have any other Juco guys coming in, he mentioned a kid named Ben Chestnutt out of the College of Central Florida. He said he's a pretty legit player. I asked him if Ben was a starter or a bullpen guy, he said definite starter.

My only concern is we seem to only be bringing in rightys. Where are some stud lefties

Gino needs to tell his dad to make some Tomato commercials and put all the incoming kids on an NLI and maybe have ruiz kick in a bit. Green is likely the only no doubter thats gone(although he swings and misses a lot...he is going to take some time. But man his potential is unreal). But the rest arent stone cold locks. But a few will get some very good offers from MLB teams so Gino now has an opportunity to combat it with NIL.

I spoke with Brian Walters at the Ole Miss game. I asked him if he can touch 99 like his brother. He laughed and said not yet, he's gotten it up to 95. He said give me a couple years in the weight room and I'll get there. I than asked him if we have any other Juco guys coming in, he mentioned a kid named Ben Chestnutt out of the College of Central Florida. He said he's a pretty legit player. I asked him if Ben was a starter or a bullpen guy, he said definite starter.

My only concern is we seem to only be bringing in rightys. Where are some stud lefties
Feels like we’ve been short on lefties for quite a few years now. Quite a change from when JD was in charge of recruiting.

Advertisement
Chestnut helped them make it to Grand Junction. Also named FCSAA pitcher of the year...he isnt putting up numbers on slouches.

School had some big time talent. Caleb Cali is a grown man in their line up. They have a Lefty...Mason Ronan. I think he was at Pitt LHP low 90's but really knows how to pitch. At worst he could be a late guy for us. 7th/8th inning. They are going to have a handful of guys drafted. Dont be surprised if Chestnutt goes too. MLB teams are really shifting their focus and JUCO arms are going to be a hot commodity in the draft

Marty Smith does an outstanding job of developing kids once they get to the campus and he has said it took some assistants to open his eyes and make changes and get away from 1st and 3rd's and Bunt Defense taking up an hour of practice. Crush weights, more swings, assessments, tracking everything, etc.

No need:
Blake Cyr is a 2022 SS/2B with a 6-0 175 lb. frame from Windermere, FL who attends Windermere. Tall and high waisted build with lots of room to fill out the frame. Ran a 6.60 in the sixty yard dash. A primary infielder, rangy shortstop with a quick first step and good lateral ability to both sides. Works the feet through the ball with balance and ability to change arm angles and throw on the run. A right-handed hitter, quick stroke and gets the barrel in the zone deep with a good plane. Can adjust the hands to barrel line drives with backspin to all fields. Plays with high energy and and can disrupt or produce runs. Very good student. Verbal commitment to Miami.

Pitelli didn't hit for sh#t in high school. He's actually hit better as a D1 player. Cyr hit for average and power and stole a lot of bases with that 6.60. Should be an interesting SS competition.
Yea, I know we have Cyr coming in and looks promising, but you never know. If we can get a known commodity at SS to beef up the lineup, then you do it and give Cyr a year to hit the weight room.

Advertisement
Yea, I know we have Cyr coming in and looks promising, but you never know. If we can get a known commodity at SS to beef up the lineup, then you do it and give Cyr a year to hit the weight room.
Not only that but you always need depth and you typically have 13-14 players getting 80+ at bats a season which equals 20-25 games started. We need all the MIF depth we can get. Use guys like Garcia as a bat first replacement. We haven’t been able to find a true CF in years. They can do experiment with guys like pitelli, etc in CF in the fall.

Not only that but you always need depth and you typically have 13-14 players getting 80+ at bats a season which equals 20-25 games started. We need all the MIF depth we can get. Use guys like Garcia as a bat first replacement. We haven’t been able to find a true CF in years. They can do experiment with guys like pitelli, etc in CF in the fall.
Pitelli can experiment with the portal. He can’t hit. Why would changing his position change that?

Advertisement
First and foremost, convert Walters into a starter and do whatever is necessary to get him back. Ruiz can show the baseball program a little love if necessary for a 1 year NIL, can't he? And then he needs to do like Palm did and develop secondary pitches in the off-season.
Did Walters hit that Arizona kid in the 9th trying to throw that breaking ball of his? Needless to say, it needs work.

Pitching. Don’t feel good about walters coming back even though the starter experiment with Palm should really make him consider it if he feels he can get at least a 3rd pitch lock down

After that I look at grabbing the best kids available minus 3B and 1B in terms of plug and play….

Wish Rad would also start fishing around for interest in the Miami HC job as well in case Gino shats the bed again next year he can at least have some names in mind and maybe keeping track of

Last edited:
Did Walters hit that Arizona kid in the 9th trying to throw that breaking ball of his? Needless to say, it needs work.
I think it was a fastball that just got away from him, but am not sure since I watching on TV.

Advertisement
Back