Zion Nelson, OT, Sumter HS (SC)

Advertisement
How long it is until he can contribute as a tackle is unknown but one thing his dedication to the S&C program cannot be disregarded. The way he is gaining it would not be surprising by the summer he is 285-290. At that weight at 6'6" he has the size and muscle to get some learning reps during the year under the new red-shirt rule.
He is 285 now you hit that one right on the nose.

Advertisement
Well I'll say he definitely got his weight up fast as ****. But I'm not going to say his strength is even close yet until we actually see him. And I definitely don't think he's ready to be a starting OT anytime soon. He's clearly put in a lot of work though, which is great.

But people acting like this dude is going to be an immediate stud because he gained 60 pounds or whatever is pretty dumb. Sorry but the only way this kid sees any valuable PT this year is if our OT situation is plain abysmal - which it actually looks like it might be (pretty worrying). We NEEDED an OT to step up which is why it was so critical we got Neal...but since we missed out on him, literally it's going to be whoever is the best of the bad...

Nelson deserves credit for the work he's put in, but if our OT depth was anywhere near adequate my timeline would be correct...

Advertisement
Well I'll say he definitely got his weight up fast as ****. But I'm not going to say his strength is even close yet until we actually see him. And I definitely don't think he's ready to be a starting OT anytime soon. He's clearly put in a lot of work though, which is great.

But people acting like this dude is going to be an immediate stud because he gained 60 pounds or whatever is pretty dumb. Sorry but the only way this kid sees any valuable PT this year is if our OT situation is plain abysmal - which it actually looks like it might be (pretty worrying). We NEEDED an OT to step up which is why it was so critical we got Neal...but since we missed out on him, literally it's going to be whoever is the best of the bad...

Nelson deserves credit for the work he's put in, but if our OT depth was anywhere near adequate my timeline would be correct...

You have absolutely no clue as to what you're talking about. Zero clue. Evan Neal is playing Guard for Alabama dummy-we already have enough guards on the roster. If you're going to make hoe *** predictions on this forum, at least be man enough to be accountable for what you say.

Advertisement
Advertisement
As much as I'm excited for Nelson (and even didn't mind the take at the time, as I believe it was mjackson6 gave us a decent scouting report)...Just remember guys, there are probably about 50 teams at minimum, and probably more into the 60s, that he wouldn't be starting for in cfb right now. It is as much an indication of UM's situation as it is Zion Nelson. And again I'm excited about the kid.

As much as I'm excited for Nelson (and even didn't mind the take at the time, as I believe it was mjackson6 gave us a decent scouting report)...Just remember guys, there are probably about 50 teams at minimum, and probably more into the 60s, that he wouldn't be starting for in cfb right now. It is as much an indication of UM's situation as it is Zion Nelson. And again I'm excited about the kid.

He did beat out Kai-Leon Herbert, who is a four-star tackle in his third year. Maybe that’s an indictment on Herbert, but most teams in FBS don’t have any four-star tackles.

I remember this line from the spring

Nelson has really come on strong, enough so that Scaife was shifted to guard Saturday.

This told me that he was ready to play because we couldve easily started Hebert or one of those other guys at Guard and kept scaife at Tackle

He did beat out Kai-Leon Herbert, who is a four-star tackle in his third year. Maybe that’s an indictment on Herbert, but most teams in FBS don’t have any four-star tackles.

Agree with both possibilities (Nelson real deal, Herbert possible bum)...and like the poster above said the fact Scaiffe is inside makes me lean to the fact this kid as AT LEAST a shot to be an all ACC type sooner or later.

Advertisement
Back