Zion Nelson, OT, Sumter HS (SC)

If Richt has pulled Neal would you be happy or would you be talking about how many 5 star tackles turn out to be busts and that we should hold off on the optimism and stop being star whores? How may of these project tackles pan out? 1.6% ?

Good point. You are right, if we pulled Neal I would be ecstatic because of his potential. However, I wouldn’t necessarily assume he would be ready to start day 1 like others because I know LT is a tough spot. I am not saying we need to be jumping for joy that we pulled this kid, but I trust that the staff has seen something they like which compelled them to take his commitment. Searels has seen the failure of his OL. Unless he is on a suicide mission, you would have to assume he has learned from past mistakes. He has to see something in this kid that makes him feel he could coach this kid into something down the road. Secondly, the OL is a sore spot for the team, do you think they would reach on a kid like this if they didn’t think he had some value. I will not be surprised if all of a sudden this kid starts getting late offers. Keep in mind, this was a secret visit.

Advertisement
Good point. You are right, if we pulled Neal I would be ecstatic because of his potential. However, I wouldn’t necessarily assume he would be ready to start day 1 like others because I know LT is a tough spot. I am not saying we need to be jumping for joy that we pulled this kid, but I trust that the staff has seen something they like which compelled them to take his commitment. Searels has seen the failure of his OL. Unless he is on a suicide mission, you would have to assume he has learned from past mistakes. He has to see something in this kid that makes him feel he could coach this kid into something down the road. Secondly, the OL is a sore spot for the team, do you think they would reach on a kid like this if they didn’t think he had some value. I will not be surprised if all of a sudden this kid starts getting late offers. Keep in mind, this was a secret visit.
My man, only reason he went after this young man is because every other 3-4 star linemen have told him to F off.

My man, only reason he went after this young man is because every other 3-4 star linemen have told him to F off.

I watched his tape.
-VERY quick off the line
-gets to the next level with ease
-though he is light, he “arrives” at the point of contact.

I believe what Searles sees here is a kid with a 5* foundation they can’t believe was just hanging out there. They figured they better not only give him an offer, but make it comittable to lock him up before others jump on (like Kennedy). He is a kid who has the frame to add 50-60lbs of good weight. A kid who has explosion that when they add the strength and power will be a force. I could see him being being a pro OT. He has too many intangibles even some 5* don’t have.
-

When you start recruiting like we have during this cycle ... you know the program is in disarray.

This entire staff is going down the road Shannon and Golden went down.

It’s the beginning of the end for this staff.
Lol losing the last 3 games and lsu did it for me

Advertisement
I watched his tape.
-VERY quick off the line
-gets to the next level with ease
-though he is light, he “arrives” at the point of contact.

I believe what Searles sees here is a kid with a 5* foundation they can’t believe was just hanging out there. They figured they better not only give him an offer, but make it comittable to lock him up before others jump on (like Kennedy). He is a kid who has the frame to add 50-60lbs of good weight. A kid who has explosion that when they add the strength and power will be a force. I could see him being being a pro OT. He has too many intangibles even some 5* don’t have.
-

I totally concur, you can be 6’7” 350 and play and run like HERMAN MUNSTER and useless slow off the ball and fall down exhausted by the time you get to second level blocking.

Dwight Stevenson arguably one of the BEST NFL centers played at maybe 240 and dominated why he got on you so fast and wouldn’t let go till whistle blew.

Unless you know intricate line play of course you’d be lost on why this kids got all the basics of line play already figured out.

This kid will bulk to 300 plus in no time when his training at division I level kicks in.

This kid WILL play on Sunday IF he continues to take ownership of his play.

The NFL is loaded with guys like Zion.

Again from an experienced standpoint ZION is a STUD his body just hasn’t caught up yet in weight.

Last edited:
I totally concur, you can be 6’7” 350 and play and run like HERMAN MUNSTER and useless slow off the ball and fall down exhausted by the time you get to second level blocking.

Dwight Stevenson arguably one of the BEST NFL centers played at maybe 240 and dominated why he got on you so fast and wouldn’t let go till whistle blew.

Unless you know intricate line play of course you’d be lost on why this kids got all the basics of line play already figured out.

This kid will bulk to 300 plus in no time when his training at division I level kicks in.

Again from an experienced standpoint ZION is a STUD his body just hasn’t caught up yet in weight.

Good post. You see a pic of the El Gammen kid. That kid has a OT ready body now. He plays ball so he is athletic. OT have to have some length and good feet. They don’t have to be powerhouses. The idea is engage and recover. We have had slow plodding guys there with no feet. Searles has learned. At OT, I ain’t worried about stars. Only athletes with the tools who are coachable and want to be the best.

Good post. You see a pic of the El Gammen kid. That kid has a OT ready body now. He plays ball so he is athletic. OT have to have some length and good feet. They don’t have to be powerhouses. The idea is engage and recover. We have had slow plodding guys there with no feet. Searles has learned. At OT, I ain’t worried about stars. Only athletes with the tools who are coachable and want to be the best.

I’m impressed here and concur 🙌

Sr year highlights - your going to need a strong drink considering what was / is available in Florida alone for 2019

You sir stick to dt, you have one side of the ball to worry about and tbh you’ve been slacking this year.

Step it up or we’ll be finding another dt guru, that’s not a threat. It’s a promise.

Advertisement

Lol

You sir stick to dt, you have one side of the ball to worry about and tbh you’ve been slacking this year.

Step it up or we’ll be finding another dt guru, that’s not a threat. It’s a promise.

Jalar Holley says hello, since I have been slipping.

Go Canes

It’s not like he’s a Tulane or some other crappy program. We would kill for the type of winning app states has done over the last 15 years and they put out a kid or two to the league. Let’s just hope that it’s not the same kind of thinking they are using for the offensive schemes!!

Advertisement
Advertisement
This is my first time watching his high school film and to my untrained this kid looks tough and agile. I thought that's what is wanted in an OT. Why were people so down on him? Was it because of his star ranking or because he was an App State commit?

I don’t think as much down on him as much as the belief we keep reaching and settling for lower level OL talent. I believe we got lucky with him. He has a lot of potential due to his freakish physical aspects. If he has a mean streak and hard working mentality, he will really be a steal.
Who says he’s lower level talent? He looks like a 2 star to you? Just bc the rating guys think he’s lower level talent means nothing. Use your eyes and judge what type of talent you think this kid is.. it’s **** sho higher than 2 stars imo.

Advertisement
Back