Zion Nelson, OT, Sumter HS (SC)

Advertisement
Yes we were all so silly for doubting the take of a 240 lb OL committed to App State in the middle of Richtirement.
That App State coaching staff knew what they were doing, consistently outperforming their recruiting talent level. I’d much rather steal a developmental OL recruit from that staff than an already filled out guy from a Wake Forest.

He did beat out Kai-Leon Herbert, who is a four-star tackle in his third year. Maybe that’s an indictment on Herbert, but most teams in FBS don’t have any four-star tackles.
I dont recall herbert was viewed as a LT. He was a RT (or G) kid all the way.

Our LT recruiting has been dreadful. Prior to Zion, we hadn’t recruited a tackle with feet, quickness, balance, punch and length - i.e., a true LT prospect - since KC McDermott, and I believe he was better suited to RT. Campbell is really a RT guy, maybe there was some hope for LT. Hillery was a project who IMO is more of a RG prospect lacking the feet, balance and quickness for LT. Maybe he gets there at RT. St Louis should have been on the right his whole career. Milo and Loftus were not good. Flowers and Gadbois were really the last two true LTs we have recruited. McDermott and St Louis were good OL who could play there, but their best position was prolly RT. G. Brown was probably supposed to have been a LT prospect, but he couldn’t even make an impact at RT.

That App State coaching staff knew what they were doing, consistently outperforming their recruiting talent level. I’d much rather steal a developmental OL recruit from that staff than an already filled out guy from a Wake Forest.
i want the guy to be successful. i suppose by winning the starting job he has already blown away expectations but now comes the hard part. he has to perform on the field against another team. i know its a cliche but its all that really matters.

at this point i hope he plays like this song

p.s. great thread though

Last edited:
Advertisement
Well I'll say he definitely got his weight up fast as ****. But I'm not going to say his strength is even close yet until we actually see him. And I definitely don't think he's ready to be a starting OT anytime soon. He's clearly put in a lot of work though, which is great.

But people acting like this dude is going to be an immediate stud because he gained 60 pounds or whatever is pretty dumb. Sorry but the only way this kid sees any valuable PT this year is if our OT situation is plain abysmal - which it actually looks like it might be (pretty worrying). We NEEDED an OT to step up which is why it was so critical we got Neal...but since we missed out on him, literally it's going to be whoever is the best of the bad...

Nelson deserves credit for the work he's put in, but if our OT depth was anywhere near adequate my timeline would be correct...
Well, Wrong again!!!! He's are starting Tackle!!!!! I say going up against our DEs, and surviving.....he just maybe a stud LT that's at 290

Well, Wrong again!!!! He's are starting Tackle!!!!! I say going up against our DEs, and surviving.....he just maybe a stud LT that's at 290
I literally said "if our OT depth was anywhere near adequate my timeline would be correct" and only way he'd see real PT is if our OT depth is plain abysmal. Well guess what? It just so happens our OT depth is basically nonexistant. If either of Nelson/Campbell go down, we will put Scaife at OT..

I'll wait until he actually plays to crown him as a Freshman All-American. He absolutely has blown past my expectations to this point, but honestly I view that as an indictment on the ****** *** OT's we have been unable to develop. I hope he steps all the way up obviously. But lets not act like him being our starting LT and playing at a high level wouldn't be the most surprising thing of the season..

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back