Your QB of choice against Bama

JHallCanes

2028 is our year
Premium
I had a discussion with some fellow Canes fans off the board that was interesting, thought I would pose it here

If you had to pick one of the great Miami QBs of the past (or King) for this game against Alabama, who do you roll with?

We’ve had a lot of great QBs that had great teams around them. But what about with this team? Considering what Bama does well and where they might be vulnerable, I thought it was interesting how much support King had in this area

Anyway, thought I would pose the question here

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
I've said for years, and maybe others as well is if Berlin stays in the shotgun for the entire season, Miami wins the title going away.
I think there’s a lot of Canes fans right there with ya brother

waking up from nightmares saying “why is he under center??”

I want TVD. He fits this offense. None of the other guys fit this offense…Maybe Jim Kelly?!?! I think TVD should and the guy.

Look, I love Kings leadership, maturity and intangibles. And he’s great running the ball. But I think he’s waaaaaay too short (5’8) snd he’s not good enough throwing the ball to beat Bama or any other good team throwing the ball. He’s just not.

Hes too short to see the entire field and you need to cull back 50% of the passing playbook due to his size. I think we lose 3-4 games with King at QB.

To me, he’s a shorter version Kelly Bryant (former Clemson QB Trevor Lawrence replaced). Good runner, merely solid thrower.
I think its fair to have some reservations about King's passing ability, though he was pretty darn good last year. But to want him replaced for someone who's thrown almost no passes in college, for a game against alabama is insane.

Advertisement
I want TVD. He fits this offense. None of the other guys fit this offense…Maybe Jim Kelly?!?! I think TVD should and the guy.

Look, I love Kings leadership, maturity and intangibles. And he’s great running the ball. But I think he’s waaaaaay too short (5’8) snd he’s not good enough throwing the ball to beat Bama or any other good team throwing the ball. He’s just not.

Hes too short to see the entire field and you need to cull back 50% of the passing playbook due to his size. I think we lose 3-4 games with King at QB.

To me, he’s a shorter version Kelly Bryant (former Clemson QB Trevor Lawrence replaced). Good runner, merely solid thrower.

Bro, how do you know he doesn’t sh*t himself? Kid hasn’t played one meaningful down and you would take him vs Bama? What kind of Peanut Butter and Jelly

I know this guy's schtick is just to **** on anything Miami, so this is par for the course, but I only need to comment in the off-chance that he somehow pollutes someone else's brain here:

Kelly Bryant started his 3rd season at Clemson, 2017, and that season, against FBS competition, he ranked:

67th in passer rating (lower than Malik Rosier, by the way)
70th in Yards per Attempt
11th in completion percentage (you know how limited you have to be throwing the ball downfield to complete 65% of your passes but be 70th in yards per attempt?)
2.6% TD percentage
2.1% INT percentage
10/8 TD to INT ratio
And he was throwing the football to Deon Cain (6th round pick), Hunter Renfrow (5th round pick), Ray-Ray McCloud (6th round pick), and Tee Higgins (2nd round pick). Those were his top 4 WRs. All NFL draft picks.

He then loses his job to Trevor Lawrence in 2018, quits, and goes to Missouri. In 2019 at Mizzou, he ranks:

59th in passer rating (lower than Jarren Williams, by the way)
66th in Yards per Attempt
51st in completion percentage
A 14/5 TD to INT ratio
He also ran for 665 yards in 2017, and 242 in 2019.

D'Eriq King played WR his freshman year and half of his sophomore year. So we'll start his clock in Year 3, same as Bryant.

In the 2 years at Houston and 1 year at Miami he:

Never ranked lower than 20th in passer rating
Never ranked lower than 26th in Yards Per Attempt
Never ranked lower than 38th in Completion %
Has a 66/13 TD to INT ratio
Has run for over 1500 yards
Throwing to Dee Wiggins, Mark Pope, Mike Harley, and half a year to Brevin Jordan...and at Houston his best WR was Marquez Stevenson, a 6th rounder, and not a **** soul else.

So **** disrespectful to compare this kid to Kelly Bryant, it's not even funny. Anyone who spends any time on this board knows this dude is a complete clownshoes operation, but this is just example 17 billion to not believe what you read on the internet. Kelly ******* Bryant....FOH.

Advertisement
Bro, how do you know he doesn’t sh*t himself? Kid hasn’t played one meaningful down and you would take him vs Bama? What kind of Peanut Butter and Jelly
Baptism by fire, plus, he’s already been in this system for a year. I really like TVD, and I think he’s going to be a very VERY good QB…possibly great. He has NFL tools.

Bama is starting a new QB too, and it’s on a neutral site, so if there were any game for TVD to start this would be it.

Last edited:
Advertisement
In this offense with Lashlee setting up plays with a QB who is a threat to run....

Hmm. King or Morris.

But if we're assuming any QB and the offense tailored to them, probably Erickson. I like the pick for Berlin in his comfort zone, shotgun.

Brock is one of the forgotten ones , I was there for the gator game in the OB one the most heroic exhibitions of a warriors heart that the whole team drew inspiration from in this EPIC come from behind win a classic.

This is the Herculean effort we all will need in beating BAMA, it would be a awesome if they show that game to all the players with The Playmakers PASSION speech.

All our hero’s from the past should visit and talk to the players in the same positions then the team.

GOCANES
I’ve been fortunate to have been in a seat for most of the big games we’ve played in the last two decades, but that game will forever have a special place in my heart. The gator chomp to the UF bleachers after sealing the comeback must forever remain an iconic moment in our history.

Bernie. But we would also need Michael Irvin, Randall Hill, Andre Johnson and Jimmy Graham to join Bernie. Talk about lighting up the scoreboard. Automatic TD every possession.

Advertisement
Back