Your QB of choice against Bama

JHallCanes

2028 is our year
Premium
I had a discussion with some fellow Canes fans off the board that was interesting, thought I would pose it here

If you had to pick one of the great Miami QBs of the past (or King) for this game against Alabama, who do you roll with?

We’ve had a lot of great QBs that had great teams around them. But what about with this team? Considering what Bama does well and where they might be vulnerable, I thought it was interesting how much support King had in this area

Anyway, thought I would pose the question here

Advertisement
Advertisement
I want TVD. He fits this offense. None of the other guys fit this offense…Maybe Jim Kelly?!?! I think TVD should and the guy.

Look, I love Kings leadership, maturity and intangibles. And he’s great running the ball. But I think he’s waaaaaay too short (5’8) snd he’s not good enough throwing the ball to beat Bama or any other good team throwing the ball. He’s just not.

Hes too short to see the entire field and you need to cull back 50% of the passing playbook due to his size. I think we lose 3-4 games with King at QB.

To me, he’s a shorter version Kelly Bryant (former Clemson QB Trevor Lawrence replaced). Good runner, merely solid thrower.
It's not that he's a bad thrower, and he does make great decisions. His problem is he can not see the whole field. He makes decisions based on what he sees, and he misses a lot of guys that are downfield because he doesn't see them. If he was 6'3" with the same arm, he'd be fine. Actually, he'd probably be in the NFL already. Being 5'8" is a serious issue for a QB. I love what King can do, but when your downfield vision is that limited, teams scheme against you. When they take away everything short, it makes it hard for him to run. He can make some incredible plays from time to time, but you need to be consistently good to beat top teams, not be super electric 5 times and simply average the rest.

In my humble opinion, this is why he's never beaten a top flight team. He feasts on sub par competition, but the big boys will always have his number. My hope is that Lashlee can find a way to scheme him into being able to see down the field. If he tries to do what he did last year, it's going to be a rough year. We'll beat the bottom dwellers by a lot, but then hit a brick wall against teams like Alabama and Clemson, and possibly another ACC team or two. I am not writing King off, at all, but there needs to be a serious step forward if we're actually going to compete for any sort of title. Here's hoping it happens. I do have some hope with it being Lashlee's second season with him at the helm.

Advertisement
I had a discussion with some fellow Canes fans off the board that was interesting, thought I would pose it here

If you had to pick one of the great Miami QBs of the past (or King) for this game against Alabama, who do you roll with?

We’ve had a lot of great QBs that had great teams around them. But what about with this team? Considering what Bama does well and where they might be vulnerable, I thought it was interesting how much support King had in this area

Anyway, thought I would pose the question here
Ed Carney,.. or Art Carney

Gino Toretta. He was tough as nails, never saw any other Hurricane QB take so many hits and just kept bouncing back. I know he was immobile but since Bama has a great defense his toughness would prevail.

Advertisement
Testeverde as long as we can make sure he’s not throwing the game like against Penn State in bowl game. He had an accurate arm and could escape pressure pretty good. Either him or NFL Kelly 😂🤣😂🤣

Some are forgetting that in this offense & OL the QB should also have legs

Some of the suggestions like Kosar or Dorsey would garner the same results like having Kaaya with the keys in his last year here

With them, the QB run option would be completely ignored. So our run game would be stuffed

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back