Young, Owens, Mccray

I wouldn't mind seeing Perryman loose about 10 lbs, and work on speed and agility stuff more.

He was way more effective at around 225/230 IMO.

He has lost speed, quickness, flexibility, and stamina(his ability to stay in the whole game)

With his frame, he should never try to get past 230/235 ever.

Advertisement
I wish weight weren't such a point of emphasis and badge of honor for our defenders.

SoFla is BY FAR the nation's #1 area for fast, super aggressive, maybe-not-the-brightest, almost always undersized defensive football player, while football intelligence and size/strength/length are the things we seem to value most. It is so facking frustrating.

Disagree with the part about football intelligence. South Florida kids may not have the most sophisticated coaches, but they are often savvy as **** from playing at such a high level since youth football. That's one of the reasons they always play early.

I can tell you from first hand experience, all but a couple programs have laughable coaching staffs. That includes BTW and Central. They're the most organized of the pieces of garbage. They lock down a few plays in their playbook, play base defense, and beat the crap out of people on pure talent. As a result, the kids down here have incredible instincts, but they have no assignment based skills when they make it to the next level.

I wish weight weren't such a point of emphasis and badge of honor for our defenders.

SoFla is BY FAR the nation's #1 area for fast, super aggressive, maybe-not-the-brightest, almost always undersized defensive football player, while football intelligence and size/strength/length are the things we seem to value most. It is so facking frustrating.

Disagree with the part about football intelligence. South Florida kids may not have the most sophisticated coaches, but they are often savvy as **** from playing at such a high level since youth football. That's one of the reasons they always play early.

Perhaps what Swagger meant is that they haven't been exposed to overly complex systems. For the most part, football is about instinct and training. There are very few players who are figuring things out on their own and breaking down concepts.

I suppose Big and Slow is better than the Small and Slow guys we have seen at LB recently.

I can tell you from first hand experience, all but a couple programs have laughable coaching staffs. That includes BTW and Central. They're the most organized of the pieces of garbage. They lock down a few plays in their playbook, play base defense, and beat the crap out of people on pure talent. As a result, the kids down here have incredible instincts, but they have no assignment based skills when they make it to the next level.

I agree 100%.

All I'm saying is that the kids themselves aren't dumb. Whether we call it instincts or FBI, they know the game and pick things up fast. I look at a kid like Bridgewater. He is competing with guys who have had private QB coaches their whole lives, and he's sharper than all of them.

Advertisement

I agree 100%.

All I'm saying is that the kids themselves aren't dumb. Whether we call it instincts or FBI, they know the game and pick things up fast. I look at a kid like Bridgewater. He is competing with guys who have had private QB coaches their whole lives, and he's sharper than all of them.

Oh I think it's actually a good thing. They get to college with the clean slate. They can be molded into anything the college staff wants. Their diets are a joke too. A lot of these kids are physical freaks, while getting their sustenance from vending machines. A year on a college mean plan and they blow up to super freak levels, lol.

Last edited:
Big, slow, and cumbersome. I love that. Has worked really well for us.

Young and Owens are FAR from slow and cumbersome. What's amusing is I recall a few years ago a lot of people complaining about our "tiny" LBs like Spence getting blown out of the way by blockers and runners all the time and how we needed more size like Bama. Now everyone complains that our LBs are too big.

Crazy how this board flip flops. First everyone was excited about running a 3-4 but after this season everyone's certain it can't work and wants to move back to the 4-3. Everyone was saying for years our strength and conditioning was pathetic and was ecstatic, fapping to themselves when the lbs came in at 240. Now everyone's back to wanted undersized 215-220 LB dudes. We've had it both ways. The problem is our linebackers were not talented at any possible weight and we haven't had interiors lines that can protect them for several years.

Exactly. Just made a similar post before I saw yours.

Golden on 560 just said they weigh 240, 235, and 228...those are some big linebackers already

Golden has already changed how much they weigh in his presser. Young weighs 230, Owens is 220 and McCray 228. No way in **** Young and Owens were as big as he originally stated.

Advertisement
Crazy how this board flip flops. First everyone was excited about running a 3-4 but after this season everyone's certain it can't work and wants to move back to the 4-3. Everyone was saying for years our strength and conditioning was pathetic and was ecstatic, fapping to themselves when the lbs came in at 240. Now everyone's back to wanted undersized 215-220 LB dudes. We've had it both ways. The problem is our linebackers were not talented at any possible weight and we haven't had interiors lines that can protect them for several years.

Very true.

We lusted over Bama LB size and now we recruit big boys and people want the undersized kids again, so I guess they can go back to complaining about Swasey, S&C, and being outmuscled by bigger teams.

I just want players ... whether 215 or 240.

Ask bama about huge lbs that can run and cover. Our Undersized speed lbs can not hold up against modern day football.

Lmao.

Modern day football.

If anything, you need more agile guys for "modern day football", with all these teams spreading the ball out and what not.

Last edited:

Yeah, it's bad.

Advertisement

Ask bama about huge lbs that can run and cover. Our Undersized speed lbs can not hold up against modern day football.

Lmao.

Modern day football.

If anything, you need more agile guys for "modern day football", with all these teams spreading the ball out and what not.

Spread teams jamming the ball down your throat with big backs and getting their OL on your small lbs.... huge athletic stretch Te that small lbs can't cover....yah, modern day football.

Fact of life: big and fast is greater than smaller and fast.

You dudes complain about EVERYTHING

To my eyes our entire defense looked smallish compared to Alabama or even south Carolina

naw...SC's Linebackers were small as ****......Skai is like 220 and he was one of their bigger guys.....even on the dline their small @ spots...but those guys are fast sideline to sideline..........

This is probably the biggest lb class we will bring in size wise foreal..i still think Golden and crew are looking for their Ahmad Brooks and Daryl Blackstock.

Advertisement

Lmao.

Modern day football.

This.

****, the Super Bowl MVP was a 220-pound linebacker.

Unfortunately without effective DTs the LBs get pounded by opposing OLs and need the size.

Advertisement
Back