Young, Owens, Mccray

Advertisement
I love the fact we finally have LB's that are coming in at actual Linebacker size as Freshman.

Having guys who are LB/Safety hybrids & LB's coming in at 205/210 that we have to pump up for a year or two before they can play has been hurting us.

Those are the types of backers that are more suited to a 4-3. You want guys that can fly.

Fsu doing it too. They going after lbs who are 6'2-6'3 230+ so they can be at 245 without loosing speed.

DJ Williams played at 245 and he didn't have a problem

LB who are 6'1 245 and can run 4.5 flat are extremely rare to find. DJ was a very unique athlete

And he still wasn't better than Vilma... His production wasn't even close to Morgan... He was a great athlete but it took him 3 years to make some noise...

Actually he led the team in TFL in his Jr year. And the WLB in a 4-3 Over will never have as many tackles as the MLB.

Were we playing a 43 over or a 4-3 under when DJ was here? Does it make any difference when it comes to the WLB?

Another problem... (and this is the fault of local high school coaches)

Most of the kids down here aren't being taught how to engage blockers at the point of attack. How to attack blockers, lock-out their arms, create separation and disengage.

Remember D'Onofrio yelling at Futch about "running around the block"?

I imagine a kid like Grace would have problems with that once he gets to college. It's foreign to him. Same applies to the local D-linemen.

I'm beginning to think that south Florida is a high school coaching wasteland. I can't believe that washed up rappers end up as coordinators at public high schools, or that parasitic street agents actually get employed as assistant coaches.

Maybe that's why I heard years ago that JJ and staff liked to recruit Texas, because the kids were already well-coached. Maybe that's why AG likes to go to Jersey.

Most of the kids down here aren't being taught how to engage blockers at the point of attack. How to attack blockers, lock-out their arms, create separation and disengage.

I imagine a kid like Grace would have problems with that once he gets to college. It's foreign to him. Same applies to the local D-linemen.

I'm beginning to think that south Florida is a high school coaching wasteland. I can't believe that washed up rappers end up as coordinators at public high schools, or that parasitic street agents actually get employed as assistant coaches.

Maybe that's why I heard years ago that JJ and staff liked to recruit Texas, because the kids were already well-coached. Maybe that's why AG likes to go to Jersey.

I definitely think we need to be going to Texas more often

Advertisement

That's all well and good, but FSU just won a title with a roster full of South Florida guys...

I guess Bama is just LUCKY to find these guys YEAR AFTER YEAR AFTER YEAR....hmmmm ok

One of these days you'll realize that just because Alabama can do something doesn't mean Miami can do something.

Is Bama finding these LB's in South Florida? No, cause they don't exist down here.

Who's the last South Florida Linebacker you seen in the range of 6'1"+ 240+?

Southern Boys can eat. Florida boys can run.

Much of this has to do with instincts more than it has to do with size or speed.

Quiet as it's kept, Sean Spence wasn't a speed demon if you take his size into account. Sean ran a 4.7 at 230, while Olivier Vernon ran slightly slower at 260. Sean was lights out because of his instincts, not his physical profile. It's about having linebacker instincts and guys like Jermaine Grace and Juwon Young have that IN SPADES. It's about being able to diagnose a run alignment, read you keys, and choose the quickest route to get to the right hole, while also either avoiding or shedding blocks. Sean did a great job of that. Honestly, how much does running 4.5 help you when you are playing 5 feet from the line of scrimmage? It's about explosion and diagnosing a play quickly.

These arguments over size and speed are fruitless. I do know one thing, I'll take a big and slow guy, before I take a small and slow guy, because guys who have the instincts of a Sean Spence are few and far between and even they will be compromised some when going up against elite competition, because of their physical limitations. Guys like Cornelius and Armbrister and Gaines aren't BCS caliber linebackers. Hopefully guys like Fig, Owens, and Young become the norm.

Remember Ramon Buchanon? Great athlete. 225-230 and blazing fast.
Problem was he would get lucky once a game and run fast and hit a ball carrier.
The rest of the game he run real fast the wrong way.

Golden seems to like football players. Young looks like a football player who just happens to be 240lbs of granite. Same with Owens and Smith.

I'll take good speed running to the right places all day long over the Buchanon's, Ray Ray Armstrong's and Vaughn Telemaque's every day.

i know size matters but Sean Spence was one of the better LBs we've had in recent years.

but I'm not sure if our current coaching staff would have recruited him at LB

Advertisement
i know size matters but Sean Spence was one of the better LBs we've had in recent years.

but I'm not sure if our current coaching staff would have recruited him at LB

Probably wouldn't have recruited Denzel or Grace either

Wouldn't matter if our staff could coach

257.jpg

Darrion Owens and Trent Harris

Advertisement
**** thats some good size pre-Utough...these two won't need a redshirt if they can master the mental part of the game as EE's

Advertisement
Much of this has to do with instincts more than it has to do with size or speed.

Quiet as it's kept, Sean Spence wasn't a speed demon if you take his size into account. Sean ran a 4.7 at 230, while Olivier Vernon ran slightly slower at 260. Sean was lights out because of his instincts, not his physical profile. It's about having linebacker instincts and guys like Jermaine Grace and Juwon Young have that IN SPADES. It's about being able to diagnose a run alignment, read you keys, and choose the quickest route to get to the right hole, while also either avoiding or shedding blocks. Sean did a great job of that. Honestly, how much does running 4.5 help you when you are playing 5 feet from the line of scrimmage? It's about explosion and diagnosing a play quickly.

These arguments over size and speed are fruitless. I do know one thing, I'll take a big and slow guy, before I take a small and slow guy, because guys who have the instincts of a Sean Spence are few and far between and even they will be compromised some when going up against elite competition, because of their physical limitations. Guys like Cornelius and Armbrister and Gaines aren't BCS caliber linebackers. Hopefully guys like Fig, Owens, and Young become the norm.

You just mentioned everything Jimmy Gaines was awful at.

the weight is not a big deal really the only college team i see putting out super size LB's is bama and i think thats due to their scheme and recruiting area, but thats not the only way to be successful on D, as mentioned by another poster LSU actually has some smaller linebackers they just play with such velocity at the point of attack you can't tell/it doesnt matter they're pure football players not weightlifters.

as far as needing to be a really big LB to fit in modern football not true, remember all the hype rolando mcclain got back in '09? he was exposed in a major way in the NFL he got burned in every way possible in oakland he went 260. LB's that weighed in the 230's in that same 2010 draft like sean witherspoon out of missouri or sean lee from penn st 4 years later have proven them selves impact players and starters, while rolando is out of the league and was a top 10 pick.

if those weights are true golden reported i just hope he doesnt force on more pounds at the expense of athleticism on these young guys.

That's all well and good, but FSU just won a title with a roster full of South Florida guys...

That's a stretch. They have some, sure...and a few are high profile (Freeman, O'Leary, Joyner, Hart...Benjamin if you include Belle Glade as SoFla). Otherwise, I don't really see any SoFla kids on that roster who played any real role on that team. I may have missed a few?

Advertisement
Back