Young, Owens, Mccray

I get how the south FLA kids may be the fastest but how come they are always thought to be undersized?

is South FLA not feeding its kids right?

Advertisement
I'd take knowing what the **** you're doing and knowing how to tackle over weighing 230+. Our LBs were huge this year and we were blowing coverage left and right. Our run D was better for a while though.

I love the fact we finally have LB's that are coming in at actual Linebacker size as Freshman.

Having guys who are LB/Safety hybrids & LB's coming in at 205/210 that we have to pump up for a year or two before they can play has been hurting us.

Those numbers are inflated. Lack of talent and development has hurt us. Telvin Smith's skinny *** would've done just fine here.
Telvin benefited from a D Line that takes up blockers and frees up the LB's.

Big, slow, and cumbersome. I love that. Has worked really well for us.

yep and if any would have flipped to another school you would be whining about that too......

Mcray is stud...Saben wanted this kid so did Miles...

I get how the south FLA kids may be the fastest but how come they are always thought to be undersized?

is South FLA not feeding its kids right?

we dont have middle school football...and for the most part have kids lose weight in order to play optomist ball thoughout life or not play at all till high school

Advertisement
Young says **** your slow & cumbersome!
5CCE88F7-562B-446A-8652-56D6ABAECBBC.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I wish weight weren't such a point of emphasis and badge of honor for our defenders.

Ask bama about huge lbs that can run and cover. Our Undersized speed lbs can not hold up against modern day football.

Lmao.

Modern day football.

If anything, you need more agile guys for "modern day football", with all these teams spreading the ball out and what not.

Spread teams jamming the ball down your throat with big backs and getting their OL on your small lbs.... huge athletic stretch Te that small lbs can't cover....yah, modern day football.

Fact of life: big and fast is greater than smaller and fast.

You dudes complain about EVERYTHING

Fact of life: big and fast is rare

Obviously everybody would love 6'3" 250lb LB's that can run sideline to sideline but that is the exception.

There's also zero proof that says you need LB's that big to succeed. Some of the best defenses in college football have LB's that are in the 220's.

I love the fact we finally have LB's that are coming in at actual Linebacker size as Freshman.

Having guys who are LB/Safety hybrids & LB's coming in at 205/210 that we have to pump up for a year or two before they can play has been hurting us.

Those numbers are inflated. Lack of talent and development has hurt us. Telvin Smith's skinny *** would've done just fine here.

And you know those numbers are inflated because...?

You must have been there with Golden when they weighed them when they arrived at Miami.

So how big do you think Juwon Young is gonna get? He is 240 as a college freshman? Is he gonna leave here as Lavon Kirkland? Golden always rounds up.

He is 6'3 he can be 255lbs easy with no lose of speed!

Advertisement
I wish weight weren't such a point of emphasis and badge of honor for our defenders.

Ask bama about huge lbs that can run and cover. Our Undersized speed lbs can not hold up against modern day football.

Lmao.

Modern day football.

If anything, you need more agile guys for "modern day football", with all these teams spreading the ball out and what not.

Yep. The reality is that there aren't a whole bunch of 245 pound 19 year olds who can play in space. Those dudes are rare. They're likely future NFL top picks. If you build a defense reliant on future NFL top picks, that doesn't seem like a very sustainable model. But, what the **** do I know. Teams like LSU field some of the meanest and most aggressive defenses year in and year out. Everyone assumes they're "huge," but they're just fast and explosive.

The best 2 LBs we've had here over basically the last 8 years are "small." The coaches were skeptical of their best LB right now. Go figure.

Last edited:
If Golden is still insistent on the move to more frequent 3-4 looks, larger LB's are a must. I don't agree with it, but that's what has to happen.

The idea that small = fast and big = slow is just flat out wrong.

I mean we really want to go back to recruiting 6'2 195 Tyrone Cornelius?

Isn't it a positive thing that the guys we brought in are game-ready weight wise?

The idea that small = fast and big = slow is just flat out wrong.

I mean we really want to go back to recruiting 6'2 195 Tyrone Cornelius?

Isn't it a positive thing that the guys we brought in are game-ready weight wise?

Cornelius didn't succeed because he wasn't any good. If Young and Owens can't play it won't matter. Find me ball players first.

Advertisement
It's pretty obvious that the days of the Ty Cornelius-sized LB's at UM are over

However, that in itself doesn't guarantee good linebackers. I refuse to believe it's that black or white...

I think the more important thing we need to be looking at is strength and how a player utilizes that. Size doesnt always mean strength so being bigger doesnt always mean better. Just beacause someone is bigger doesnt necessarily mean he is stronger.

Also strength gain doesnt always have to mean weight gain. Its not like all of our players are at 5% body fat and cant lose any more body fat. Gain muscle mass, lose body fat instead of doing what it seems a majority of our players have done where they just bulk up to weights where they probably shouldn't be at because they are just adding way too much weight and not loosing enough to balance it out.

Another big difference with guys like Owens and Young is that they can hold their weight better than someone like Perryman because they are 2 or 3 inches taller than him. It'll be easier for them to be playing at weights in the 240's and being able to keep their speed and explosiveness.

Still, I think we are focusing too much on size when strength is the much more important factor to me.

Advertisement
Some of you probably had boners for Allen Bailey and Jeff Luc when they were coming out of high school too.

Do you know how big of a freak someone would have to be if he was 240+ pounds and could still move well at the age of 18?

How often do we see that in college football?

Amen to this, I'll take a bunch of 200 lb kids that make plays. We are woefully void of playmakers, particularly on D

Size is essential for the 3 -4. We made hay with smaller fast lbs for years because our grizzle bear DTs in the 4-3 ate offensive linemen up on the way to QB, which let small backers free. Without those DTs our old D doesn't work any better than Al's 3-4 without a real NT. Defense starts on the line and in the middle. I would like to go back to "move the speed forward" but we must have the DTs for it.

Big, slow, and cumbersome. I love that. Has worked really well for us.

yep and if any would have flipped to another school you would be whining about that too......

Mcray is stud...Saben wanted this kid so did Miles...

Did mcray have an actual offer from lsu or bama ?

for a fact LSU...and I am 99% sure Bama offered late last year...seeing his Senior year at ELI..

Rivals has him being offered and notes on his like for lSU etc....

ESPN and Scout does not ...

when I went to a ELI game last year his so called cousin said he was a Miami lock but getting SEC offers...he did not say who..

Advertisement
Back