WR Dont'e Thornton (Oregon transfer) is visiting this weekend LOL commits to Vols

I guess my question to you is why. You have said the narrative about Mario and offense exists, you’ve said you have seen it play out with recruits, and you have said you would prioritize paying stud WRs over stud OL. But you’re also in the coaching game, so I guess I am just confused how all of that kind of lines up to you.
I know Mario is obsessed with getting better. And by sheer willpower he’ll make sure the offense will improve. We’ll be better on offense next year. The only question is how at this point. So yeah it’s alarming the amount of WR’s we’re missing on but it’s only a matter of time before Mario self corrects imo

Advertisement
I get it, and I'm not asking for it to "move the needle" with anyone. I'm just pointing out that the "Gattis is staying, because nothing has happened" evidence is just about the same as it is for the other side of the argument.

And I'm not saying I like it, but "the waiting" (if that's what it turns out to be) was intended to give guys a chance to find alternative employment.

But I understand the concerns. I'm not saying it's easy to root for Mario.

Maybe I'm not completely freaking out because I remember this:

2003 recruiting class - no new WRs signed (Darnell Jenkins committed in 2002 and had to prep)
2004 recruiting class - Lance Leggett and 2-star Khalil Jones
2005 recruiting class - no new WRs signed
2006 recruiting class - Sam Shields and 2-star George Robinson

That's all. Two blue-chip WRs in 4 years. Not saying that it makes our current situation infinitely better, I'm just saying I have a bit of a different perspective.

Also, this was my freshman year (1986): #1 (WR) and #3 (RB) were first round draft choices. #2 (WR) and #5 (WR) were second round draft choices. #4 and #8 were tight ends. #6 and #7 and #9 and #13 and #14 are RBs. I believe #10 is a flat-out mistake. #12 is our Heisman-winning quarterback.

I realize the game has changed, and teams throw the ball more and WRs catch the ball more.

But in 1986, every single WR reception (except 3 by Kintigh and Wilson) were by Irvin, Perriman, and Blades. I'd love to have more than 3 productive WRs at any given moment, but I'd like to point out that it's possible to succeed with only 3.

View attachment 223823
Just because we had to move a punter to WR does not mean we should aspire to wind up back there. And that 2002-2006 stretch was with the guy who let the wheels fall off, not an $8mm/yr guy who we brought in for his recruiting and hope to move the program forward. We are not far off from having to do that with DT either.

It is not even whether Gattis is staying or leaving. I also think he is gone. It is he essentially put this guy over the program and the fact that a "CEO" head coach is failing at alarmingly high number of CEO tasks.

I guess it really all boils down to me on if you have faith in Mario Cristobal or not? He’s a smart guy and I heard about some of the people he considered before landing on gattis. He got this one wrong I don’t think he’ll get it wrong twice in a row

I guess it really all boils down to me on if you have faith in Mario Cristobal or not? He’s a smart guy and I heard about some of the people he considered before landing on gattis. He got this one wrong I don’t think he’ll get it wrong twice in a row
I agree 100%. Mario wants to win more than anyone and I believe that he knows that he got it wrong this time. I think everybody’s frustration is just with the timeline/urgency to make quick changes. Add on the constant portal/staff moves by other teams and it can definitely make the fan base a little irritated.

remember shortly after the last game of the year you said we would be happy soon. Is whatever you were referencing still on the table?

Advertisement
I agree 100%. Mario wants to win more than anyone and I believe that he knows that he got it wrong this time. I think everybody’s frustration is just with the timeline/urgency to make quick changes. Add on the constant portal/staff moves by other teams and it can definitely make the fan base a little irritated.
in Mario’s position I hire Josh gattis 10 times outta 10. I’m in year one of a lifetime deal essentially at the school that made me plus he runs a lot of stuff I like. Sometimes it just doesn’t work. Sure we had a talent issue but it wasn’t as drastic as our scheme made it seem

Also helps that Jimbo got absolutely KILLED by the media this year after the way his offense played. Im sure mario payed attention and will not look to be the next Jimbo Fisher for the media.

(yes ik their OC hire this year was not popular but point stands)

I know Mario is obsessed with getting better. And by sheer willpower he’ll make sure the offense will improve. We’ll be better on offense next year. The only question is how at this point. So yeah it’s alarming the amount of WR’s we’re missing on but it’s only a matter of time before Mario self corrects imo
My hope is it’s done quickly and we are able to get a couple of WR1 types either in February or the post spring portal period. It seems like this one is a wash for now. But whether they come now, spring or summer, as long as they are on the roster for next season with a better play caller at the helm it doesn’t really matter when these additions happen.

Advertisement
miam iwr portal.jpg

Also helps that Jimbo got absolutely KILLED by the media this year after the way his offense played. Im sure mario payed attention and will not look to be the next Jimbo Fisher for the media.

(yes ik their OC hire this year was not popular but point stands)
The money forced jimbos hand. Im not sure if anyone other than Alonzo or Mario himself can make him change anything

My hope is it’s done quickly and we are able to get a couple of WR1 types either in February or the post spring portal period. It seems like this one is a wash for now. But whether they come now, spring or summer, as long as they are on the roster for next season with a better play caller at the helm it doesn’t really matter when these additions happen.
Our leading receiver for next year is likely on the roster already man

Just because we had to move a punter to WR does not mean we should aspire to wind up back there. And that 2002-2006 stretch was with the guy who let the wheels fall off, not an $8mm/yr guy who we brought in for his recruiting and hope to move the program forward. We are not far off from having to do that with DT either.

It is not even whether Gattis is staying or leaving. I also think he is gone. It is he essentially put this guy over the program and the fact that a "CEO" head coach is failing at alarmingly high number of CEO tasks.

Brian Monroe did not ever play WR in a game. I know there was some talk about POSSIBLY giving him some reps there during practice.

I would point out that Coker was getting paid a top 10 salary, once he got his extension. Definitely didn't get paid a lot in 2001 and salaries have gone up a lot since then, but he was paid very well (at the time) when we extended him.

And I can agree with you on "CEO" things. We need to let Alonzo handle this situation. Treat Alonzo like he's Winston Wolf...

Advertisement
in Mario’s position I hire Josh gattis 10 times outta 10. I’m in year one of a lifetime deal essentially at the school that made me plus he runs a lot of stuff I like. Sometimes it just doesn’t work. Sure we had a talent issue but it wasn’t as drastic as our scheme made it seem
Dang, this is actually a quality post! Once you get Deion off your mind you can actually focus and put some thoughts together, lol. Nicely done.

And I completely agree with your thoughts on Gattis. Stay tuned.......

Our leading receiver for next year is likely on the roster already man
By process of elimination you’re probably right. Not many high school guys left that we were involved with and who knows who hits the portal. Maybe there is a Zay flowers out there that they can actually get this time.

Who on the roster do you think can take the biggest step forward as that outside total package wr with the right scheme and play caller? George?

By process of elimination you’re probably right. Not many high school guys left that we were involved with and who knows who hits the portal. Maybe there is a Zay flowers out there that they can actually get this time.

Who on the roster do you think can take the biggest step forward as that outside total package wr with the right scheme and play caller? George?
I’m high on George. He was my fav of the bunch he committed with. I feel like it was a small sample size but he’s an easy mover with the ball in his hands and he’s always open.

Advertisement
The money forced jimbos hand. Im not sure if anyone other than Alonzo or Mario himself can make him change anything
Agreed. This is Mario’s show. It’s the only reason he’s even here in the first place. He wasn’t going to leave Oregon to come here to have his authority questioned, especially when we’ve been a **** show for 15+ years

I have no clue whether he will be successful here or not, but he is the dictator here. There’s no democracy.

Sure maybe a few years of not living up to expectations, but no one is going to pressure this guy barely a calendar year into his tenure

That’s a Barringer-crater sized miscalculation looking at the roster we had & thinking that style of Offense was going to work.

It’s the equivalent of becoming the HC for Air Force & deciding to run a pass heavy Air Raid.

That’s a Barringer-crater sized miscalculation looking at the roster we had & thinking that style of Offense was going to work.

It’s the equivalent of becoming the HC for Air Force & deciding to run a pass heavy Air Raid.
You know I’m with you, but call me crazy I don’t think buddy had any intentions on winning this year tbh. Buddy being Mario

Advertisement
Back