WR Dont'e Thornton (Oregon transfer) is visiting this weekend LOL commits to Vols

Advertisement
There’s coaches out there with less HC experience than Mario who have never had a losing season. Never. One of them one a NC last night. He saw where his weaknesses were and he cut them out immediately and hired someone else until he found the right combination. There is no doubt that we have lost out on elite talent by keeping Gattis. What’s the saying where you’re insane if you keep doing the same thing and expecting different results. The only reason we have this recruiting class is because MC is one of the best in the business, but he has to get the coaching to match and he hasn’t done that and that’s why we are in the predicament we’re in right now. That’s a fact.

It's not just Gattis.... Aside from a couple of games, there wasn't a QB on the roster that showed anything to inspire confidence in a WR.

TVD had a couple of good games prior to his injury. But for the most part - TAMU, for example, even he couldn't get the offense in the end zone.
Yes, that was a product of playcalling and execution. But WR want to see guys getting the ball, QBs who can make the throws, etc. None of that happened last season.

I don't think the troubles with landing a WR is JUST about Gattis and the offense....

And while it may be an unpopular opinion, I think there are guys on the roster who will step up and look a whole lot better this season with a healthy TVD and a revamped offense (no matter who the coordinator is)

in Mario’s position I hire Josh gattis 10 times outta 10. I’m in year one of a lifetime deal essentially at the school that made me plus he runs a lot of stuff I like. Sometimes it just doesn’t work. Sure we had a talent issue but it wasn’t as drastic as our scheme made it seem
I could be wrong or thinking too much into it but I think Mario probably had plans to hire Gattis at oregon if he stayed there. Gattis is from the moorehead tree and runs alot of similar stuff so the transition would’ve been way smoother than it was here. I think once his other candidates didn’t come he just fell back on that and went with someone who’s system he’s kinda familiar with.

Y’all bxtch and moan like our championship season next year is on the line if we don’t get a FCKN JAG WR FROM THE PORTAL!! ?? STFU BEFORE I GET DISRESPECTFUL.. SOFT *** *******

And I’m talking to the same few *** *** ******* clowns that troll this board every fckn day with slick *** comments about how embarrassing this is, oh this is a failure, and all this other *** *** ****. Stfu before I start tagging you bxtches.

Last edited:
Advertisement
It's not just Gattis.... Aside from a couple of games, there wasn't a QB on the roster that showed anything to inspire confidence in a WR.

TVD had a couple of good games prior to his injury. But for the most part - TAMU, for example, even he couldn't get the offense in the end zone.
Yes, that was a product of playcalling and execution. But WR want to see guys getting the ball, QBs who can make the throws, etc. None of that happened last season.

I don't think the troubles with landing a WR is JUST about Gattis and the offense....

And while it may be an unpopular opinion, I think there are guys on the roster who will step up and look a whole lot better this season with a healthy TVD and a revamped offense (no matter who the coordinator is)
Our WR's got ZERO separation. TVD was also getting hit a lot. We saw the real TVD under Lash but the Gattis system is where good QB's go to die.
Like TE's that go to FSU.

I thought Thornton coming to us was almost a no-brainer thinking of prior relationship with Mario and possibly some nice NIL money. This guy would have been guaranteed to be a starter. Is this a sign that Gattis is definitely coming back for another season and guys don’t want to play for him?

We had a small glimpse of what could have been when TVD had a sit down with Gattis after the MTSU game and told him what he liked doing and what worked best for him. The next game he comes out and throws for 500 yards and the offense scores its most points against a P5 opponent (until GT). After the game Gattis says “we threw the ball too much” Mind you, we ran the ball 24 times for friggin 42 yards. And that was the end of having a quarterback friendly offense that receivers would want to play in.

I thought Thornton coming to us was almost a no-brainer thinking of prior relationship with Mario and possibly some nice NIL money. This guy would have been guaranteed to be a starter. Is this a sign that Gattis is definitely coming back for another season and guys don’t want to play for him?

No.

Advertisement
Y’all bxtch and moan like our championship season next year is on the line jf we don’t a FCKN JAG WR FROM THE PORTAL!! ?? STFU BEFORE I GET DISRESPECTFUL.. SOFT *** *******

And I’m talking to the same few *** *** ******* clowns that troll this board every fckn day with slick *** comments about how embarrassing this is, oh this is a failure, and all this other *** *** ****. Stfu before I start tagging you bxtches.
wedding crashers comedy GIF

NIL $$, hope/vision/promises only go so far when the same OC that was responsible for that abortion on offense last year is still in place.

Not even Mario could sell a guy he recruited and get him to buy in especially when that player gets to see other programs, talk to them and watch the film with real OCs.

Mario, even if he releases Gattis, has left a lot of unknowns. Buddy WR is not going to wait around on who might be the OC.

One team won a lot of games in the SEC with offensive minded coaches and the other lost 7 games in the ACC and still has the same OC in place.

Last edited:
We had a small glimpse of what could have been when TVD had a sit down with Gattis after the MTSU game and told him what he liked doing and what worked best for him. The next game he comes out and throws for 500 yards and the offense scores its most points against a P5 opponent (until GT). After the game Gattis says “we threw the ball too much” Mind you, we ran the ball 24 times for friggin 42 yards. And that was the end of having a quarterback friendly offense that receivers would want to play in.
Yes I get that, but ask DABO, KIRBY, SABAN, DAY none of them thinking running it 24 times in a game is a good recipe. I think what coaches want in general is a good balance, but every game is an entity of it's own I do understand. We needed to pass the ball that much vs. UNC as we couldn't run it.

Georgia nor Ohio State had that few rushes in a game this season, and Alabama had it once when they almost lost to Texas. Once in conference did Alabama rush for fewer than 30 attempts, and that was in a loss to LSU with 27 attempts.

500 yards against unc is pretty much what everyone was doing against them. But still credit where it’s due. The issue was red zone that game was so bad. Plus a fumble in the red zone. But like I’ve said the issue with a prehistoric offense like this is there is no room for error. There’s only so many tries at it.

Advertisement
Yes I get that, but ask DABO, KIRBY, SABAN, DAY none of them thinking running it 24 times in a game is a good recipe. I think what coaches want in general is a good balance, but every game is an entity of it's own I do understand. We needed to pass the ball that much vs. UNC as we couldn't run it.

Georgia nor Ohio State had that few rushes in a game this season, and Alabama had it once when they almost lost to Texas. Once in conference did Alabama rush for fewer than 30 attempts, and that was in a loss to LSU with 27 attempts.
You WANT to be able to run the ball. If you can’t run the ball, why force it? Imagine if you had 500 yards rushing and your quarterback was 6-24 for 42 yards passing. Would you say “we need to pass the ball more”? You stick to what is working. When you’re getting 1 yard at a time, forcing the run is really stupid. Nobody wants to be one dimensional but sometimes you have to face the reality that your team can’t be balanced. Some teams need to rely heavily on the run because they can’t throw. Miami needed to rely heavily on the pass because they couldn’t run.

500 yards against unc is pretty much what everyone was doing against them. But still credit where it’s due. The issue was red zone that game was so bad. Plus a fumble in the red zone. But like I’ve said the issue with a prehistoric offense like this is there is no room for error. There’s only so many tries at it.
We didn’t get 500 yards against any other FBS opponent so that’s the high water mark for us.

This is where you just make **** up.

"500 yards against UNC" is NOT "pretty much what everyone was doing against them".

UNC played 14 games (9-5), and went to the ACC-CG and a bowl game. They gave up 500 yards or more all of FOUR TIMES (of 14)...and WON 3 of those 4 games.

In fact, let's go to the midpoint, and look at "above-midpoint" and "below-midpoint" games for UNC. There were 7 (of 14) games in which UNC gave up 415 yards or more...and UNC won 6 of those 7 games. Therefore, UNC's defense was not as bad as you (falsely) claim that it was.

And then, 4 out of 5 of North Carolina's losses were ones where the defense performed "better" than in other games that UNC won:
---GaTech - 373 total yards - 21 points allowed (Miami held GaTech to 363 total yards and 14 points)
---NC State - 330 total yards - 30 points allowed in double overtime
---#9 at the time Clemson - 385 total yards - 39 points allowed (ACC-CG)
---#15 at the time Oregon - 414 total yards - 28 points allowed (bowl game)

Stop discounting what Miami's offense did against UNC "because UNC's defense". It's factually wrong and just goes to show that the Miami haters/mopers are going to invent any mythical storyline to push the narrative.

Advertisement
You WANT to be able to run the ball. If you can’t run the ball, why force it? Imagine if you had 500 yards rushing and your quarterback was 6-24 for 42 yards passing. Would you say “we need to pass the ball more”? You stick to what is working. When you’re getting 1 yard at a time, forcing the run is really stupid. Nobody wants to be one dimensional but sometimes you have to face the reality that your team can’t be balanced. Some teams need to rely heavily on the run because they can’t throw. Miami needed to rely heavily on the pass because they couldn’t run.

And really good offensive coordinators can often use their success throwing the football to open up the running game... at least for more than 2 YPC. Granted that's not easy to do when you're in tight formations with the wrong personnel and not using tempo (and having execution errors, with a beat up OL and RB room), but most of that still falls back on play-calling/scheme.

Y’all bxtch and moan like our championship season next year is on the line jf we don’t a FCKN JAG WR FROM THE PORTAL!! ?? STFU BEFORE I GET DISRESPECTFUL.. SOFT *** *******

KC don't miss.

This is where you just make **** up.

"500 yards against UNC" is NOT "pretty much what everyone was doing against them".

UNC played 14 games (9-5), and went to the ACC-CG and a bowl game. They gave up 500 yards or more all of FOUR TIMES (of 14)...and WON 3 of those 4 games.

In fact, let's go to the midpoint, and look at "above-midpoint" and "below-midpoint" games for UNC. There were 7 (of 14) games in which UNC gave up 415 yards or more...and UNC won 6 of those 7 games. Therefore, UNC's defense was not as bad as you (falsely) claim that it was.

And then, 4 out of 5 of North Carolina's losses were ones where the defense performed "better" than in other games that UNC won:
---GaTech - 373 total yards - 21 points allowed (Miami held GaTech to 363 total yards and 14 points)
---NC State - 330 total yards - 30 points allowed in double overtime
---#9 at the time Clemson - 385 total yards - 39 points allowed (ACC-CG)
---#15 at the time Oregon - 414 total yards - 28 points allowed (bowl game)

Stop discounting what Miami's offense did against UNC "because UNC's defense". It's factually wrong and just goes to show that the Miami haters/mopers are going to invent any mythical storyline to push the narrative.

Yes you are right, everyone knows (or should know) unc's defense is the medicine for all sick and or anemic offenses.

Advertisement
Back