WR Dont'e Thornton (Oregon transfer) is visiting this weekend LOL commits to Vols

That’s a Barringer-crater sized miscalculation looking at the roster we had & thinking that style of Offense was going to work.

It’s the equivalent of becoming the HC for Air Force & deciding to run a pass heavy Air Raid.
But that guy from Ohio State created a thread here over the summer and said that because we got Gattis as our OC that our run game was going to be amazing. And everybody believed him.........

Advertisement
Regardless of how good the o-line and qb protection and running game is; at some point the receiver has to beat the db.
Even when Bama was running the ball they went after cooper and Ridley and got them. And they dominated.

When we criticized them and tried to warn Jeudy to not go to Bama because of their offense and stacked classes as wr, they still got him.

At some point you gotta land somebody elite either in the portal or from high school.

Is it more alarming that we can't land a WR or that Mario is what 2 for 10 or so on recruiting his former players from Oregon. We've now missed on Dorlus, the 2 kids who went to Auburn, Thornton, Dye (?), etc. and have only landed 2 average OL in Denis and Sagopolu? If these kids aren't willing to follow him here what makes us believe that these top 5 classes are going to stay here as well?

I don't have skin in the game, Mario shows great behaviors in the public arena, I don't know how much anyone wants to win, or the desire. Seeing the offensive recruits, let's be honest WR is the main issue and that hasn't changed. I don't argue intelligence, but either this is his kryptonite, or he just doesn't want to break from his process. Hopefully this gets cleared up.

Advertisement
Mario’s stubborn. That’s just the facts.

There is absolutely no reason if Gattis is truly gone, that he hasn’t been let go yet.

Literally would have had a much better shot with Innis and other elite WRs and transfers if he would have let him go after the season. But no. He has to protect grown *** men making millions feelings, and let them find a nice pillow soft landing spot. Smh.

I keep hearing how he is wants to be like Saban, besides putting a huge premium on recruiting.. I don’t see it so far.

My hope is it’s done quickly and we are able to get a couple of WR1 types either in February or the post spring portal period. It seems like this one is a wash for now. But whether they come now, spring or summer, as long as they are on the roster for next season with a better play caller at the helm it doesn’t really matter when these additions happen.

Last year we went after some big time WR1's and struck out. That was with all the momentum of Mario. Now, after an awful year of anemic offense (and film to prove it), we ain't gonna get any WR1s out there. Assuming we don't, this team will lack a WR1. Is that a death knell for an offense? No but it sure makes things harder. Best shot we have is to get some kid like Dubose or some prolific G5 dude who then become our WR1.

You know I’m with you, but call me crazy I don’t think buddy had any intentions on winning this year tbh. Buddy being Mario

I know what you're saying but of course he wanted to win. I think what he wanted to see was what he had to work with. Southern Miss probably told him that and his focus then became to ride the wave of the year and start tracking who on the roster he could trust and work with and who he can't.

I know Mario is obsessed with getting better. And by sheer willpower he’ll make sure the offense will improve. We’ll be better on offense next year. The only question is how at this point. So yeah it’s alarming the amount of WR’s we’re missing on but it’s only a matter of time before Mario self corrects imo
Mario has a lot to prove regarding his offensive implementation and winning games. I used to watch Oregon when Marcus Mariotta was the QB under Chip Kelly because they were amazing ... totally destroyed FSU. Fast forward to the same program under Mario ... looked like the Giants in 1956. Hope he adapts like Saban did.

Advertisement
Had season tickets since 2004, if no change is made I'm seriously considering letting them go.
Will just buy on Stubhub to the ones I want to go to and save a ton of $$$. This is really pathetic.
Mario must be on them cocoa leaves.
Take your crying *** to your mom’s basement. No one cares

Had season tickets since 2004, if no change is made I'm seriously considering letting them go.
Will just buy on Stubhub to the ones I want to go to and save a ton of $$$. This is really pathetic.
Mario must be on them cocoa leaves.
Im thinking of doing the same after having 2 with my wife. Those games were traumatic. I had to be a mope in the car every day with my wife trying to cheer me up for the hour ride back up the turnpike. Topped off by FSU fans laughing at us and i couldnt even blame them.

Advertisement
Is it more alarming that we can't land a WR or that Mario is what 2 for 10 or so on recruiting his former players from Oregon. We've now missed on Dorlus, the 2 kids who went to Auburn, Thornton, Dye (?), etc. and have only landed 2 average OL in Denis and Sagopolu? If these kids aren't willing to follow him here what makes us believe that these top 5 classes are going to stay here as well?

It says a lot if ur former players don't wanna follow you to your next job.

Mario has a lot to prove regarding his offensive implementation and winning games. I used to watch Oregon when Marcus Mariotta was the QB under Chip Kelly because they were amazing ... totally destroyed FSU. Fast forward to the same program under Mario ... looked like the Giants in 1956. Hope he adapts like Saban did.

He better!

Regardless of how good the o-line and qb protection and running game is; at some point the receiver has to beat the db.
Even when Bama was running the ball they went after cooper and Ridley and got them. And they dominated.

When we criticized them and tried to warn Jeudy to not go to Bama because of their offense and stacked classes as wr, they still got him.

At some point you gotta land somebody elite either in the portal or from high school.
This guy says otherwise

Paul-Johnson_GA-Tech-pic-1-682x1024.jpg

Advertisement
I’ll keep it a buck;

There was some pro & cons on Mario being hired. One of the concerns I voiced in one of the threads was for how great of recruiter he is as a HC, that WR room is something to be concerned w/. WRs r some of the biggest divas in sports, & no way r they ever going to put themselves in a position to not make it to the next level.

When u have high rated guys u recruited transfer out during the season or can’t get a whiff at guys who u formerly recruited & coached to come to u, that’s a problem. We r whiffing on Portal & HS WRs, & if imma keep it a bean & some change, I don’t blame em. What WR in their right mind would want to play in an offense that couldn’t score a TD & produced a leading WR w/ a stat line of 367 yards & 5 TDs!

Last edited:
I’ll keep it a buck;

There was some pro & cons on Mario being hired. One of the concerns I voiced in one of the threads was for how great of recruiter he is as a HC, that WR room is something to be concerned w/. WRs r some of the biggest divas in sports, & no way r they ever going to put themselves in a position to not make it to the next level.

When u have high rated guys u recruited transfer out during the season or can’t get a whiff at guys who u formerly recruited & coached to come to u, that’s a problem. We r whiffing on Portal & HS WRs, & if imma keep it a bean & some change, I don’t blame em. What WR in their right mind would want to play in an offense that couldn’t score a TD & produced a leading WR w/ a stat line of 367 yards & 5 TDs!
Counter-point - the plays were there to be made if our receivers were worth a **** and could beat single coverage.

That said I'd go to Tennessee too, they scheme people open - they even managed to trick Alabama into covering their best, fastest WR with a S on multiple occasions. That's voodoo magic to me.

Counter-point - the plays were there to be made if our receivers were worth a **** and could beat single coverage.

That said I'd go to Tennessee too, they scheme people open - they even managed to trick Alabama into covering their best, fastest WR with a S on multiple occasions. That's voodoo magic to me.
Great post but the real mvp is your profile photo!

Where did you find it?

Advertisement
Back