WR Dont'e Thornton (Oregon transfer) is visiting this weekend LOL commits to Vols

Advertisement
the love mario has for recruiting crazy he is putting up with gattis not being able to pull anybody lol
the class Mario got is insane. the weaknesses are at WR. they were that this past summer and theyre that now. we can't land anyone of worth from the portal at that position and its for the reasons already stated from Cribby months and months ago

Advertisement
FmDX3B_WYCYh81f

Your first sentence is both accurate and heartburn-inducing. I'd just say that the process that got us Manny (a "smartest AD in the room" hires his "smartest coach in the room" buddy) and the process that got us Gattis (Mario looking for a guy who is a good teacher of his own system) were a bit different.

I'm not giving Mario a pass. Mario needs to fix this mistake. But as you and I discussed, Mario OVER-focused on one trait ("teaching skills") and overlooked the coaching fit.

I'll say one other thing...since a lot of posters want to look at "absence of evidence as evidence of absence" when it comes to letting Gattis go....

If Mario was SOOOO committed to retaining Gattis, and knowing that so many people (fans, recruits, HS coaches, etc.) would like to see Gattis go...and having lined up 26 HS/JC recruits and 5 Portal transfers...you would THINK, that if Gattis was sooooo instrumental to what we want to do next year, that Mario would have Gattis more involved with the recruits, you know, THAT HE IS GOING TO COACH. He'd be out at dinner with a CENTER that is going to prevent three of his QBs from being injured. Mario is the type who would double-down, telling recruits "if you pick Miami, you'll have to work hard and live with Gattis's scheme".

Not to mention that Mario could SILENCE all of the whispers with one direct public statement that confirms he is rolling with Gattis in 2023, a statement where he points out all of the OCs and DCs who have "gotten it right" in Year 2 at their new jobs...

But none of those things have happened either. So who knows...
I actually do not fault Mario for hiring Gattis. I get it. It looked good and made sense at the time, even if we were moving away from what we showed success under. I do, however, blame Mario for what has transpired since - Gattis and Ponce not getting along, hiring assistants before coordinators, but really just how long he has let this linger and go on.

Candidly, the last three paragraphs don't really move the needle with me, because if he was going to make a move and saw the lack of traction we were getting with WRs (on top of the abysmal offense this year), he could have just as easily come out and said we are making XYZ changes. Even those rumored exit interviews this week - why is he waiting until 6 weeks after our season ended and 3ish weeks since ESD to do those? Absolutely none of it makes any sense. Maybe he fires Gattis, gets whoever the dream candidate is, and suddenly 2 WR1 types hit the portal to come here and this is all for naught. But much like the offense last year, he has made it slower and less efficient than he otherwise needed to.

Advertisement
I actually do not fault Mario for hiring Gattis. I get it. It looked good and made sense at the time, even if we were moving away from what we showed success under. I do, however, blame Mario for what has transpired since - Gattis and Ponce not getting along, hiring assistants before coordinators, but really just how long he has let this linger and go on.

Candidly, the last three paragraphs don't really move the needle with me, because if he was going to make a move and saw the lack of traction we were getting with WRs (on top of the abysmal offense this year), he could have just as easily come out and said we are making XYZ changes. Even those rumored exit interviews this week - why is he waiting until 6 weeks after our season ended and 3ish weeks since ESD to do those? Absolutely none of it makes any sense. Maybe he fires Gattis, gets whoever the dream candidate is, and suddenly 2 WR1 types hit the portal to come here and this is all for naught. But much like the offense last year, he has made it slower and less efficient than he otherwise needed to.
bingo.

Y’all were pre warned about this one other when I went on my mini rant about missing on wr’s
you've said it way before that rant. you said it for a year now that Mario has a rep. its not shocking that everyone told us to go hug a tree lol

Good post. The whole thing is bizarre looking at this from the outside.

Had season tickets since 2004, if no change is made I'm seriously considering letting them go.
Will just buy on Stubhub to the ones I want to go to and save a ton of $$$. This is really pathetic.
Mario must be on them cocoa leaves.

Advertisement
Advertisement

I get it, and I'm not asking for it to "move the needle" with anyone. I'm just pointing out that the "Gattis is staying, because nothing has happened" evidence is just about the same as it is for the other side of the argument.

And I'm not saying I like it, but "the waiting" (if that's what it turns out to be) was intended to give guys a chance to find alternative employment.

But I understand the concerns. I'm not saying it's easy to root for Mario.

Maybe I'm not completely freaking out because I remember this:

2003 recruiting class - no new WRs signed (Darnell Jenkins committed in 2002 and had to prep)
2004 recruiting class - Lance Leggett and 2-star Khalil Jones
2005 recruiting class - no new WRs signed
2006 recruiting class - Sam Shields and 2-star George Robinson

That's all. Two blue-chip WRs in 4 years. Not saying that it makes our current situation infinitely better, I'm just saying I have a bit of a different perspective.

Also, this was my freshman year (1986): #1 (WR) and #3 (RB) were first round draft choices. #2 (WR) and #5 (WR) were second round draft choices. #4 and #8 were tight ends. #6 and #7 and #9 and #13 and #14 are RBs. I believe #10 is a flat-out mistake. #12 is our Heisman-winning quarterback.

I realize the game has changed, and teams throw the ball more and WRs catch the ball more. But take a look at the distribution of receptions.

But in 1986, every single WR reception (except 3 by Kintigh and Wilson) were by Irvin, Perriman, and Blades. I'd love to have more than 3 productive WRs at any given moment, but I'd like to point out that it's possible to succeed with only 3.

1673295194367.png

Last edited:
I like when y’all kill Mario I’m not gone lie just cause it’s funny but i think it’s starting to get out of hand lol
I guess my question to you is why. You have said the narrative about Mario and offense exists, you’ve said you have seen it play out with recruits, and you have said you would prioritize paying stud WRs over stud OL. But you’re also in the coaching game, so I guess I am just confused how all of that kind of lines up to you.

It is scary to look at the old Chip Kelly offense and compare it to what Oregon was producing under Mario's direction. Really makes a case for "Mario needs to adapt his offensive philosophy".
Thank you for using your brain. I mean that.

Oregon fans had the same questions we currently have. Yes he won some games there but its because how bad the pac was.

Mario absolutely needs to look in the mirror and evaluate what he wants out of a offense.

Advertisement
Back