WR Coach Kevin Beard

It really comes down to his ability to recruit elite talent, been a long time since we signed an elite WR. If he does, he'll look like the best WR coach in the country.

Advertisement
The good thing for Beard is he's probably going to walk into landing JoJo Trader and can take a swing at Jeremiah Smith. No harm, no foul if you can't pull that off.

Then he can probably pull Chance Robinson and McCoy or something similar. He's gonna pull excellent talent in this first class by default.. if not he totally dropped the ball.

The real test is landing a portal WR that can help us and then getting something out of the group we already have - taking one or more of George, Young Restrepo, and Horton to the next level.
The portal is something I’ve been wondering about.

So yes landing guys like Trader, Smith etc that’s huge but that doesn’t help us this year. Mario knows he’s got to do something this season. So I’ve been curious to see if the WR coach had some connections with potential portal guys this year. Mario knows how badly we need it.

@Mr. Dynasty1 Can we get that I told you so post now? Welcome to the CiS insiders club they apparently have small appetizers and fancy coasters to set your drink on. Well deserved my man.

Michael Scott Wink GIF
LMAOOOOOOO my guy thanks for pointing that out. I def called it.

Well Done Reaction GIF by Joey Bada$$

Advertisement
The good thing for Beard is he's probably going to walk into landing JoJo Trader and can take a swing at Jeremiah Smith. No harm, no foul if you can't pull that off.

Then he can probably pull Chance Robinson and McCoy or something similar. He's gonna pull excellent talent in this first class by default.. if not he totally dropped the ball.

The real test is landing a portal WR that can help us and then getting something out of the group we already have - taking one or more of George, Young Restrepo, and Horton to the next level.
Is JoJo really a shoe in? I feel like we should recruit him like he isn’t…. I don’t wanna risk not getting him because he didn’t feel the love

Advertisement
I don't like the hire a cane thing but that gets thrown out the window if u recruit blue chips and they sign. It could be a gator they hire I won't care if he gets the job done. Just do your job and bring in the talent across the board and I won't care cause it will click eventually if u stack. Imo that is
I know he’s a Cane but he was also known as Kevin DisaBeard a lot when he played here. I honestly see this as a trend with Mario which is not like the old school hire a Cane thing. I see this as hire a south Florida local thing for recruiting. And let’s be real, that’s what we really want with our position coaches. Great that they can coach but we want the skill set coaches on the trail locking down local guys.

So a QB recruit basically confirmed that Gattis was fired well before he was officially fired, and a WR recruit is letting us know who are new/old WR coach will be. Seems to me like we need to get follow our recruits for any and all staff info.

Better than letting those hacky paid internet writers break the stories...

pete carroll iirc was mike garrett's 4th (6th?) choice for usc.

let's give kb a chance

Howard Schnellenberger and Jimmy Johnson were not UM's first choice as coaches either. Dennis Erickson was UM's first (or close to) choice thanks to AD Jankovich knowing Erickson from back in the day...a hiring is a hiring, regardless of what number they were on the short list..I would suggest giving KB a chance.

Advertisement

Richt didn’t want him. I’m curious who was right. Richt or Golden/Cristobal.

Why is this the narrative, that "Richt didn't want him"? Are we forgetting that Richt hired Dugans (after going after B-Mac), and that Dugans played for Richt at F$U?

Last edited:
Advertisement
The Beard hire doesn’t blow me away. It’s meh. But I fall into the camp of believing Mario had time to rethink this and is trusting his gut. Hope he’s right on take 2.

It is amazing Mario took all P5 guys though. It’s not like he didn’t have the budget. So either top G5 guys wouldn’t coach under him (presumably because he would be too demanding in recruiting and effort) or he consciously determined he wanted to pull in the scrappy and brilliant types. Probably a bit of both.

Advertisement
Back