WR Coach Kevin Beard

Advertisement
Beard is just catching a lot of shrapnel because of factors that have nothing to do with him. If Mario got turned 10 times and landed on Beard? Fine, thats the way it works sometimes. But to allegedly purposely set out to hire a former Cane for this position and default to Beard because the other former Cane rightfully stayed with the 49ers? That is a problem.

Fans can delude themselves with nostalgia and believe in all that "true cane" stuff. Kinda our right as fans. Thats not what the leader of the organization should be doing.

Beard is just catching a lot of shrapnel because of factors that have nothing to do with him. If Mario got turned 10 times and landed on Beard? Fine, thats the way it works sometimes. But to allegedly purposely set out to hire a former Cane for this position and default to Beard because the other former Cane rightfully stayed with the 49ers? That is a problem.

Fans can delude themselves with nostalgia and believe in all that "true cane" stuff. Kinda our right as fans. Thats not what the leader of the organization should be doing.
I don't like the hire a cane thing but that gets thrown out the window if u recruit blue chips and they sign. It could be a gator they hire I won't care if he gets the job done. Just do your job and bring in the talent across the board and I won't care cause it will click eventually if u stack. Imo that is

Couple quick thoughts:

1. No real feelings towards this hire. It is what it is.

2. I don’t really care much about his previous time here. We aren’t the same program resource wise.

3. Mario has mentioned the WR position since he arrived. **** him and Gattis basically publicly said last spring that we were in trouble at the position. Mario takes recruiting personally. As much as us fans know how massive the WR recruiting is, I know Mario feels it even more. If he feels Beard is the key to this, then ok let’s roll. Won’t take long to find out.

Beard just spent six years coaching up wideouts in Jason Candle's offense at Toledo.

He's come a long way career-since his two-year stint at Miami on Al Golden's offense, which was his first collegiate job.

One year at Georgia and one at Tennessee before joining Toledo's staff.

Mentioning his last stint here eight years ago is like talking about Mario's FIU days, while ignoring the growth Alabama and Oregon.

Welcome (back) to The U, Kevin Beard.

Advertisement
Couple quick thoughts:

1. No real feelings towards this hire. It is what it is.

2. I don’t really care much about his previous time here. We aren’t the same program resource wise.

3. Mario has mentioned the WR position since he arrived. **** him and Gattis basically publicly said last spring that we were in trouble at the position. Mario takes recruiting personally. As much as us fans know how massive the WR recruiting is, I know Mario feels it even more. If he feels Beard is the key to this, then ok let’s roll. Won’t take long to find out.
He is quoted somewhere about taking a vested interest in getting a big-time DT to commit this cycle. Like his personal mission. That should be his attitude about WR too. Whichever 2-3 guys they deem can't miss should be getting the Pancake Honcho and Francis Mauigoa treatment.

Couple quick thoughts:

Nor is he the same coach eight years later.

Miami was his first collegiate job (2014-2015), before Georgia, Tennessee and then a six-year run at Toledo on Jason Candle's staff.

Kevin Beard in 2023 is a much different dude than who he was here in 2014 and 2015 under Al Golden.

Anyone referencing his previous time here—Richt not retaining him, him "underwhelming" back then—they're ignoring that people grow and get better as their career advances between 34 and 42 years old if they're working hard and climbing the ladder.

Not saying this is any "home run hire", but it's a good one.

Curious the reaction if it wasn't "former Hurricanes receivers Kevin Beard" and it was "five-year wide receiver coach at Toledo, in Jason Candle's offense"—there'd be a lot more hype as people were sweating all things Candle these past two years.

Fans were also geeked on Leonard Hankerson last week, whose resume (at 34 years old) doesn't compare to Beard's—at Palmer Trinity High when Beard started at Toledo. Grad assistant and WRs coach at Mass for two years, two years at Stephen F. Austin and now two years coaching wideouts for the Niners (after a year as "offensive quality control coach".

This is one of those times a dude having a pretty good UM career—not a stellar one—is being held against him (as is the fact he already did two years at Miami under a bad staff.)

The Beard hire is better than some want to admit, because they wanted a sexier name—which they actually got if they think of him as "five-year Toledo wide receivers coach under Jason Candle".

Last edited:
The good thing for Beard is he's probably going to walk into landing JoJo Trader and can take a swing at Jeremiah Smith. No harm, no foul if you can't pull that off.

Then he can probably pull Chance Robinson and McCoy or something similar. He's gonna pull excellent talent in this first class by default.. if not he totally dropped the ball.

The real test is landing a portal WR that can help us and then getting something out of the group we already have - taking one or more of George, Young Restrepo, and Horton to the next level.

Most around the program wanted Beard and Larry Scott to be retained…Richt went another direction and cleaned house. WRs like Stacy Coley had their best year after being coached by Beard that one season. He was the main recruiter for Sam Bruce at the time.

Advertisement

Miami was his first collegiate job (2014-2015), before Georgia, Tennessee and then a six-year run at Toledo on Jason Candle's staff.

Kevin Beard in 2023 is a much different dude than who he was here in 2014 and 2015 under Al Golden.

Anyone referencing his previous time here, Richt not retaining him, him "underwhelming" back then—they're ignoring that people grow and get better as their career advances between 34 and 42 years old if they're working hard and climbing the ladder.
Agree to an extent. I think the hiccup in that argument is that he hasn't climbed the ladder in the last 6 years. Now maybe he was happy in Toledo. Maybe he had a great relationship with Candle. Maybe he just didn't have any other offers. But as was pointed out in a previous post of mine, the "upwardly mobile" label is kinda hard to pin on KB.

Unless you count the fact that he just got hired from Toledo to Miami of course lol

The good thing for Beard is he's probably going to walk into landing JoJo Trader and can take a swing at Jeremiah Smith. No harm, no foul if you can't pull that off.

Then he can probably pull Chance Robinson and McCoy or something similar. He's gonna pull excellent talent in this first class by default.. if not he totally dropped the ball.

The real test is landing a portal WR that can help us and then getting something out of the group we already have - taking one or more of George, Young Restrepo, and Horton to the next level.
He needs a minimum of 2 elite WRs. He does that I'll be a bigger fan than Nordea.

If we land the USC WR Bryant, is that similar to Rambo, traits wise? Would that work well within the Dawson Scheme?

I don’t expect big WR fish to enter the portal after spring (but y’all know more than me on that)

@Mr. Dynasty1 Can we get that I told you so post now? Welcome to the CiS insiders club they apparently have small appetizers and fancy coasters to set your drink on. Well deserved my man.

Michael Scott Wink GIF

Advertisement
Most around the program wanted Beard and Larry Scott to be retained…Richt went another direction and cleaned house. WRs like Stacy Coley had their best year after being coached by Beard that one season. He was the main recruiter for Sam Bruce at the time.
Stacy Coley had his best year the next season after being coached by Ron Dugans for a year. Beard got Coley as a junior after Dorsett and Walford left for the NFL and Brad Kaaya was no longer a freshman. James Coley also leaned into more spread stuff in 2015 with Duke Johnson gone. I wouldn't just attribute Stacy Coley's stat increase to the presence of Beard.

Advertisement
He is quoted somewhere about taking a vested interest in getting a big-time DT to commit this cycle. Like his personal mission. That should be his attitude about WR too. Whichever 2-3 guys they deem can't miss should be getting the Pancake Honcho and Francis Mauigoa treatment.
I agree. As much as us fans have been complaining about DT and WR recruiting I have no doubts it keeps Mario up at night. So I have no idea how it will ultimately play out, but I am 100% confident that we are doing everything in our power to change it. Kind of a bummer that that’s actually a refreshing thought but if we fall short I don’t think it will be for lack of effort.

Anyone referencing his previous time here—Richt not retaining him, him "underwhelming" back then—they're ignoring that people grow and get better as their career advances between 34 and 42 years old if they're working hard and climbing the ladder.

Not saying this is any "home run hire", but it's a good one.

Curious the reaction if it wasn't "former Hurricanes receivers Kevin Beard" and it was "five-year wide receiver coach at Toledo, in Jason Candle's offense"—there'd be a lot more hype as people were sweating all things Candle these past two years.

Fans were also geeked on Leonard Hankerson last week, whose resume (at 34 years old) doesn't compare to Beard's—at Palmer Trinity High when Beard started at Toledo. Grad assistant and WRs coach at Mass for two years, two years at Stephen F. Austin and now two years coaching wideouts for the Niners (after a year as "offensive quality control coach".

This is one of those times a dude having a pretty good UM career—not a stellar one—is being held against him (as is the fact he already did two years at Miami under a bad staff.)

The Beard hire is better than some want to admit, because they wanted a sexier name—which they actually got if they think of him as "five-year Toledo wide receivers coach under Jason Candle".
For the most part the only reason people here care about Candle is because Mario is so obsessed with him. He was no one's first choice for OC besides Mario. So no, working under Jason Candle doesn't make him an exciting hire. Specifically when you take into account the offensive scheme Candle has regressed to the last 2-3 years.

Richt didn’t want him. I’m curious who was right. Richt or Golden/Cristobal.
It wasn't that Richt didn't want him. It was that he had a commitment from bmac for him to come(first time he ****ed us) & he obviously didn't.

Advertisement
Back