WR Coach Kevin Beard

So a QB recruit basically confirmed that Gattis was fired well before he was officially fired, and a WR recruit is letting us know who are new/old WR coach will be. Seems to me like we need to get follow our recruits for any and all staff info.
Mario giving local reports a big F U lol

Advertisement
One thing I'm not as worried about is the whole "Beard was Mario's 4th choice bro" angle. Many, many coaches hire their 3rd, 4th, 5th choices and they end up succeeding. And many coaches' first choices end up flaming out.

Some people pointed out that if his name was "Joey JoJo Shabadoo" instead of Kevin Beard we'd hate the hire. I also kinda think the reverse is true too. If he hadn't played and worked at UM before and was just the WR coach from Toledo whose WRs produced at a high level and who is considered a good recruiter in conference, the bile might not be so dark.

For me it comes down to:

1. Can he coach the position?
1a. Can he recruit the position?

Honestly I don't know the answers to those yet, but I'm willing to let KB prove he belongs.
The problem I have is that considering our resources and the black hole that was WR coaching/performance/recruiting last year we shouldn’t be hiring someone where those two questions you posed are event remotely in doubt.

Not sure why folks are so-so on the hire. I think we can all agree that the best WR coach we've had in the last decade was likely Likens. And why? Because he had the fortune of being paired up with likely the best OC we've had in a decade. If the OC is competent, the WRs will look decent. And I have to imagine that coaching WRs is likely the easiest to coach. If Beard can recruit his behind off, I am content with the hire.

/but btw, we all anticipate that WR play next year will be iffy, right? Because that room is very meh at the moment.
Likens was also good because he was overqualified and connected with his players in a way we haven’t seen on Greentree recently.

I can’t see how Beard could be worse than Gattis, but this is not the hire many were hoping for at this spot.

My initial reaction is that Beard was a good enough safety option and it’s where we’re at currently.

One thing I'm not as worried about is the whole "Beard was Mario's 4th choice bro" angle. Many, many coaches hire their 3rd, 4th, 5th choices and they end up succeeding. And many coaches' first choices end up flaming out.

Some people pointed out that if his name was "Joey JoJo Shabadoo" instead of Kevin Beard we'd hate the hire. I also kinda think the reverse is true too. If he hadn't played and worked at UM before and was just the WR coach from Toledo whose WRs produced at a high level and who is considered a good recruiter in conference, the bile might not be so dark.

For me it comes down to:

1. Can he coach the position?
1a. Can he recruit the position?

Honestly I don't know the answers to those yet, but I'm willing to let KB prove he belongs.
pete carroll iirc was mike garrett's 4th (6th?) choice for usc.

let's give kb a chance

Advertisement
The problem I have is that considering our resources and the black hole that was WR coaching/performance/recruiting last year we shouldn’t be hiring someone where those two questions you posed are event remotely in doubt.
I don't disagree with you, but what gives me pause on the whole "we have the money" thing is that we spent the money last year, just on the wrong guys.

weareback-wereback.gif

We’re covering up a bad hire with nostalgia.

So Beard is a beard.
Honestly on the boards at least I see it going the other way. I haven't seen anyone post anything like "KB did great here last time" or "he was a great Cane so it's a great hire." If anything I see the opposite - lots of "here we go again/uninspired retread" posts.

He might be a bad hire or a good hire, but I don't see anyone here waxing nostalgic about Kevin Beard to justify it.

Advertisement
And let me add one more positive. One of the things you see on good programs is staff continuity, which leads to consistency for the players in terms of scheme, what to expect, how to prepare, etc. It doesn't seem (to the naked eye) that Beard is angling for upward mobility or the next big gig. If he is locked in for the next 3-5 years, that's not a terrible thing.

Advertisement
The Gatass fiasco obviously condensed the amount of time Mario had to make coaching hires. Granted, Mario created this situation by hiring Gatass in the first place. That being said, it seems Mario has taken a different approach either intentionally or because of the circumstances created by all the coaching moves.

We’ve all heard about the Candle, Hankerson, and other situations. Some avoidable. Some created by extenuating circumstances. Bottom line, Mario made solid coordinator hires and that will hopefully translate to better results on the field.

Honestly on the boards at least I see it going the other way. I haven't seen anyone post anything like "KB did great here last time" or "he was a great Cane so it's a great hire." If anything I see the opposite - lots of "here we go again/uninspired retread" posts.

He might be a bad hire or a good hire, but I don't see anyone here waxing nostalgic about Kevin Beard to justify it.
I’m not going to list every positive comment I’ve seen, including CIS’s own twitter post, but I am just trying to play a word association game and I’d appreciate you not taking me seriously next time. It’s embarrassing for both of us.

Fact is it’s exactly what it is. No need to say it’s awful or great because it’s not that. To say either with his resume would be false. We have our Ron Dugans. Now let’s see who the next hire is and move on.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back