Worst win in 17 years

And we had slightly higher expectations against Rutgers 2002. Can't think of anything worse, other than an outright loss, heading into a bye week.

- What gets me is that in all three FBS games, our coaches have looked worse than the other side. UF did a better job of hiding their limitations. UNC came out on fire and in rhythm. And CMU had their team in a position to win if not for a bunch of drops and fumbles. We're 129th in penalties per game. Putting the talent aside, there is no tangible area where you can see we look prepared.

- Enos has been a good QB coach and a terrible OC so far. I don't think it's fair to blame one unit because the entire offense looks lost. Mishandling jet sweeps. Zion still missing the snap count. Running backs missing holes. QB holding the ball too long. TEs missing blocks. Too many long-developing PA plays. Nothing downfield from talented WRs. 85th in yards per play. It all comes back to the OC and the staff he hired.

- The running game was the most promising aspect of the first three games, and it came crashing back down to earth against a bad defense. There is plenty of blame to go around, but Donaldson is one of my biggest disappointments of the season. He looks heavy and slow. His weight gain is perplexing, because he's always been a conscientious guy and he is already an upperclassmen. He is nowhere near the NFL right now and might not even be starter-quality at his current level.

- Lou Hedley is legit. Unfortunately, we ruined the play of the day with our disorganized special teams.

- Something is missing from the defense. I don't know if it's a Baker issue, a personnel issue, or a combination of both. We've improved our rush defense without Gerald Willis's boom-or-bust approach (37th to 6th in YPC, 46th to 4th in YPG) but we are a lot less disruptive and the overall defense is worse. One change I would make over the bye week is cementing Gurvan Hall as the everydown starter at safety. He is at a different level than our other guys.

- Based on my text messages, I would say Manny has already lost a good portion of the fanbase. Can't blame them. If he loses one of the three ACC home games, I think he would lose most of the fans. These are the three most important games of his entire coaching career. My concern is that he becomes a neurotic mess over the bye, like Al Golden in the bunker, and the players sense it. He needs to maintain his composure and live up to his reputation as a guy who makes adjustments.

- As a fan, my goal before the season was ten wins and the Coastal. That was a modest goal when you look at how the Coastal performs against garbage teams like Old Dominion and Appalachian St. It looks very far away at the moment. Manny's recruiting success will be dependent on his on-field success. He sold a quick turnaround and that's what we need to see over the next month. Otherwise, it will be impossible to sell anything as the New Miami.
How about the kids celebrating like nothing was wrong? Manny/blake defense gets exposed by any good OC. its all gimmicks. hes all gimmicks, striker, turnover chain, the new miami, etc

Advertisement
And we had slightly higher expectations against Rutgers 2002. Can't think of anything worse, other than an outright loss, heading into a bye week.

- What gets me is that in all three FBS games, our coaches have looked worse than the other side. UF did a better job of hiding their limitations. UNC came out on fire and in rhythm. And CMU had their team in a position to win if not for a bunch of drops and fumbles. We're 129th in penalties per game. Putting the talent aside, there is no tangible area where you can see we look prepared.

- Enos has been a good QB coach and a terrible OC so far. I don't think it's fair to blame one unit because the entire offense looks lost. Mishandling jet sweeps. Zion still missing the snap count. Running backs missing holes. QB holding the ball too long. TEs missing blocks. Too many long-developing PA plays. Nothing downfield from talented WRs. 85th in yards per play. It all comes back to the OC and the staff he hired.

- The running game was the most promising aspect of the first three games, and it came crashing back down to earth against a bad defense. There is plenty of blame to go around, but Donaldson is one of my biggest disappointments of the season. He looks heavy and slow. His weight gain is perplexing, because he's always been a conscientious guy and he is already an upperclassmen. He is nowhere near the NFL right now and might not even be starter-quality at his current level.

- Lou Hedley is legit. Unfortunately, we ruined the play of the day with our disorganized special teams.

- Something is missing from the defense. I don't know if it's a Baker issue, a personnel issue, or a combination of both. We've improved our rush defense without Gerald Willis's boom-or-bust approach (37th to 6th in YPC, 46th to 4th in YPG) but we are a lot less disruptive and the overall defense is worse. One change I would make over the bye week is cementing Gurvan Hall as the everydown starter at safety. He is at a different level than our other guys.

- Based on my text messages, I would say Manny has already lost a good portion of the fanbase. Can't blame them. If he loses one of the three ACC home games, I think he would lose most of the fans. These are the three most important games of his entire coaching career. My concern is that he becomes a neurotic mess over the bye, like Al Golden in the bunker, and the players sense it. He needs to maintain his composure and live up to his reputation as a guy who makes adjustments.

- As a fan, my goal before the season was ten wins and the Coastal. That was a modest goal when you look at how the Coastal performs against garbage teams like Old Dominion and Appalachian St. It looks very far away at the moment. Manny's recruiting success will be dependent on his on-field success. He sold a quick turnaround and that's what we need to see over the next month. Otherwise, it will be impossible to sell anything as the New Miami.
One billion percent agree with everything here!!!!

Exactly. We need to see what sort of adjustments he makes. The D is fine, though could and should be better. The offense sucks. Adjustments need to be made there.
He have not done it thru 4 games why expect anything different?

I think some need to be prepped for what's going to happen over these next three games....if they aren't already....as fans.
One of the next three is about the easiest money around. We could drop all three...but one? That's happening. Circle UVA as something you may not want to endure if you have a heart condition....4 days prep vs two weeks prep for them? You might be looking at something truly nasty for that one.
I'm dreading the Pitt game....

Advertisement
Manny should’ve stayed as a commentator at ESPN. Talks a good game and says some pretty insightful stuff, but is completely out of his element on the sidelines as a HC.

Kirby Smart yesterday robbed ND of a TD after he realized they had him beat based off the pre snap formation. Calls TO, they don’t hear the whistle, ND scores but it’s brought back. Manny will never be capable of that on field perceptiveness. And to top it all off he’s hired a ****tier extension of himself at DC and ST and hired a guy he admires at OC but is 5 years behind the times.

At least for now the players seem to be in denial but we’ve all seen this episode a million times. By the third and fourth loss of this season it’s going to get real ugly with players quitting and moping.

So early signs show Manny is a fraud and not even close to the guy we need.

Curious to know what adjustments you think he should make?

If Enos is a ****** OC and the offensive staff isn’t good either, what does Manny do, get rid of them already?

Baker is also Manny’s guy. So is Banda and Patke. Does he can them too?

This is starting to feel like Richt or Golden where they hired a bunch of friends

Manny is selling dreams that our inept Athletic Department ate right up. You think Manny will fire his 3 self groomed yes-man assistants who were brought up under his gimmicky defense? If he got rid of them he might actually hire some coaches that have half a fücking clue and would oppose blitzing safeties on 4 & 17 with the game on the line.

C2F37395-BB91-4CF4-95E0-D44F0B8B0985.jpeg

Advertisement
After being a Canes fan for 35 years I know 2 things: We are going to get every teams best performance, even when we suck!! and we are always going to play to our opponents level. ****, think off all the games we kept in close with against Rutgers, Cuse" and then finally pulled away late 3rd. We cant even do that anymore!!

How about the kids celebrating like nothing was wrong? Manny/blake defense gets exposed by any good OC. its all gimmicks. hes all gimmicks, striker, turnover chain, the new miami, etc
Striker really isn't a gimmick. This fan base just gets so hyped up with these fancy names for positions. Bud foster calls his striker the whip LB. All 4-2-5 defenses has a striker. Its just a extra DB on the field.

The D is less disruptive than last year but significantly improved against the run. That’s impressive given our losses at DT and in the secondary. Anybody blaming the D isn’t paying attention.

Last night’s chit show was a result of poor ST’s and a highly ineffective offense. Period.

Manny has a very good track record of making adjustments as a DC. Time and time again he made changes to counter what an OC was throwing at him. He needs to make those same adjustments now as the HC. His future depends on it.

So what happened to Mallory last night? Why didn't he play more in the 2nd half? ***** all you want about the O but it looked like the team wasn't about to "get up" for Central Mich and thought they were going to waltz right through with a smirk on their face and run up score. Instead we were lucky to win the game. I think Manny will make the necessary adjustments & if he has to replace the coordinators after the season he will do it. LETS GO CANES! ON TO VT.

Advertisement
Diaz and enos lied. Diaz said he was going to bring in a cutting edge and innovative offense. Enos talked about how his system is a pro spread. All was lies.

Manny made a similar, ego-driven mistake that coaches sometimes make when they have a lot of confidence in their own abilities: he hired a coach whose play calling he felt gave his defense problems (2015 Arkansas).

This is a little reminiscent of Randy Shannon hiring patrick Nix after he was hired as HC from familiarity facing him as DC.

Manny didn’t just need a guy who was a good QB coach and a functional OC on a play-by-play basis, he needed someone who was a philosophical fit for the personal we had.

This would be like hiring a DC who was aggressive in blitzing his secondary but still wanted to 2 -gap our DL like Dorito. Different from Dorito? Sure, but still a bad philosophical fit.

Enos is absolutely different from Richt, and still a bad fit.

Understand completely the celebrating.....very lucky to win game and the team knew it. Today they aren't celebrating after watching the film. :mad:

Advertisement

You could see his demeanor on the sidelines. He looked flustered and frustrated.

Baker is also Manny’s guy. So is Banda and Patke. Does he can them too?

This is starting to feel like Richt or Golden where they hired a bunch of friends
That's what coaching is. It's a good ol' boys club. The question is, does Manny realize that some of his boys can't get it done and let them go at the end of the season. He might have made the wrong hire, but now we're stuck with them until the end of the season.

Advertisement
Back