Williams versus Perry

this.

coach macho is muy correcto.

i won the starting job on one significant stat. My RR was the highest of all the QB's on the roster that fall.

(RR=Right Receiver) ... what percent of your throws go to the right target. you can have a high completion percentage, but if you're not hitting the guy that the situation, progression and coverage says you should hit, then you aren't really running the offense.

Exactly...I think a lot of folks are under the impression that Richt calls a play, and the QB just runs it...doesn't work that way.

QB has to set the protection...pick which side He's going to with the ball...check to a run if the pass isn't there...check to a Cover-4 beater if the Cover-2 beater Richt called isn't there...QB has to make all these decisions before the snap.

QB has to be an extension of the HC/OC on the field, they don't just run what the coach calls unless the coach says otherwise.

Last edited:
Advertisement
You’re making a ton of assumptions based on limited information and wishful thinking.

First, I’m not so sure that Perry can’t get better between now and the season if he sets his mind to do it.

He hasn’t been on campus a year yet and people are already writing him off.

They’re doing the same thing as last year when they crowned him, just in reverse.

Now we’re doing the same thing with Williams. While I think he’s definitely better prepared than Perry last year, how couldn’t he be he’s an EE, it’s still a lot to learn.

I hope what you’re saying is true and we’ve found a stud 3 year starter, but there’s not enough info.

Again, people keep making the same mistakes. Basing projections on limited information and wishful thinking. It’s happening again this year.

Let’s see what happens in the scrimmage.

If Williams has indeed caught up to, or passed Perry, you’ll hear it from the coaches, and see it in the results after the scrimmage.

Pay attention to actual facts, and who each QB lines up with and what Rick says...and don’t massage the facts to fit your wishful thinking.

Nothing I said about Jarren was an assumption. He’s literally farther along than Kosi in most aspects of the position. It’s not hard to see. He’s just an ee, that just showed up.

From mechanics, progressions and intangibles it’s obvious he’s further along.

I have no agenda here, unlike most I’m just going off of what I’ve seen in hs film and scrimmages / spring game.

If anything ,I should be making an argument for Kosi because as I mentioned I was big on him. But dude is still raw as **** , hasn’t had the coaching of Jw . Not to mention. JW is known by anybody that runs acids him as a huge playbook nerd, Kosi has been viewed the opposite.

I just see no way Kosi holds him off, It’s only a matter of time. Now that’s an “ opinion “ but I very strongly believe that. It’s just that obvious.

Nothing I said about Jarren was an assumption. He’s literally farther along than Kosi in most aspects of the position. It’s not hard to see. He’s just an ee, that just showed up.

From mechanics, progressions and intangibles it’s obvious he’s further along.

I have no agenda here, unlike most I’m just going off of what I’ve seen in hs film and scrimmages / spring game.

If anything ,I should be making an argument for Kosi because as I mentioned I was big on him. But dude is still raw as **** , hasn’t had the coaching of Jw . Not to mention. JW is known by anybody that runs acids him as a huge playbook nerd, Kosi has been viewed the opposite.

I just see no way Kosi holds him off, It’s only a matter of time. Now that’s an “ opinion “ but I very strongly believe that. It’s just that obvious.

If Williams is farther along, as you say, then he’ll be the number 2 at the scrimmage on Saturday.

If Williams is farther along, as you say, then he’ll be the number 2 at the scrimmage on Saturday.

Why would that be? He’s still a true fr ee, being 2 or 3 right now means nothing other than snaps. Kosi has been here a year and Richt is giving him every chance to prove himself. He also has a year in the playbook.

Not sure you’ve ever played or coached ,but if you have you’d know there’s plenty of guys higher on the depth chart ( especially at qb) that you know aren’t better than the guy in front of them. The players and the coaches all know he’ll eventually pass a guy , he’s just obviously better.

Moving Jw to # 2 the last few days of spring proves nothing going into fall.

So spring, fall, mid season or late season means nothing. What I’m saying is JW will be the future starting qb for Miami , not Kosi.

If I were betting I’d say Jw doesn’t shirt , and that’ll tell you a lot.

Last edited:

Just listening to coach speak alone you hear Richt always slurping jw for his accuracy . Pretty sure his actual words was “ if he gets the throw off he’ll hit it”. You’ll never hear that about qb 1 or qb 2. And he’s the new guy.

All my years around football I’ve rarely seen an inaccurate /raw qb become accurate. As mike Leach says “ majority of guys with accuracy issues will always be inaccurate, accuracy is the one thing I look for when recruiting a qb”.

Last edited:
Advertisement

Why would that be? He’s still a true fr ee, being 2 or 3 right now means nothing other than snaps. Kosi has been here a year and Richt is giving him every chance to prove himself. He also has a year in the playbook.

Not sure you’ve ever played or coached ,but if you have you’d know there’s plenty of guys higher on the depth chart “ especially at qb “ that you know aren’t better than the guy in front of them. The players and the coaches all know he’ll eventually pass a guy , he’s just obviously better.

Moving Jw to # 2 the last few days of spring proves nothing going into fall.

So spring, fall, mid season or late season means nothing. What I’m saying is JW will be the future starting qb for Miami , not Kosi.

If I were betting I’d say Jw doesn’t shirt , and that’ll tell you a lot.

Agree 100%. Richt is not going to change the way he has been doing anything tomorrow. Why would he? I think the majority of us agree there is no upside for him to do that now.

We were being told by the same insiders that Rosier was looking really bad in practices, thereby his chances at being the starter were very poor, that the coaches were planning to try to start Perry, or at the very least give him every single possible chance to be the man last year.

Those insider reports were true. Richt admitted he thought Rosier would never play for him. Rosier had a bad spring in 2017, too.

The coaches were hoping Perry would win the job but (1) Perry wasn't ready; and (2) Rosier improved tremendously. Berrios and others commented on how Rosier finally committed to film study.

There were never any reports that Perry was killing it in practice. The Perry predictions (mine included) were based on our knowledge of Rosier and Shirreffs. Perry hadn't gotten here yet. Williams is generating buzz based on his practice performance.

Advertisement
Funny how the line-up for warm-ups seems to match for every position, except QB.

Rosier, Perry, Weldon, and Williams at QB ...

Homer, Dallas, Lingard, and Burns at running back ...

Maybe Robert Burns is going to be the starting running back? :11263323124-b207743c78-o:

this.

coach macho is muy correcto.

i won the starting job on one significant stat. My RR was the highest of all the QB's on the roster that fall.

(RR=Right Receiver) ... what percent of your throws go to the right target. you can have a high completion percentage, but if you're not hitting the guy that the situation, progression and coverage says you should hit, then you aren't really running the offense.
Rick isn’t one of those free wheelers when it comes to his QBs. First thing out of his mouth in almost every interview since he’s been here regarding the QB situation has always been about how the QB operates his system.

He’ll venture off into discussing arm strength and speed and all that, but his primary concern is always knowledge and operation of his system.

Rick isn’t one of those free wheelers when it comes to his QBs. First thing out of his mouth in almost every interview since he’s been here regarding the QB situation has always been about how the QB operates his system.

He’ll venture off into discussing arm strength and speed and all that, but his primary concern is always knowledge and operation of his system.

That and taking care of the ball.

Just listening to coach speak alone you hear Richt always slurping jw for his accuracy . Pretty sure his actual words was “ if he gets the throw off he’ll hit it”. You’ll never hear that about qb 1 or qb 2. And he’s the new guy.

All my years around football I’ve rarely seen an inaccurate /raw qb become accurate. As mike Leach says “ majority of guys with accuracy issues will always be inaccurate, accuracy is the one thing I look for when recruiting a qb”.

To me “farther along” means where the QB is in the hierarchy. The number 2 guy is the guy that goes in when they yank # 1.

I guess you have a different definition of “farther along” where the number 3 or 4 guy (according to the coaches) is “farther along” than the number 2 guy.

Let’s see what Rick has to say after the scrimmage on Saturday. If he says that Williams is number 2 then yes, he’s definitely farther along. That’s the way I see it.

But remember, it’s April. There’s plenty of time for anything to happen between Saturday’s scrimmage and LSU.

Advertisement
That and taking care of the ball.
Rick is a pretty ballsy coach who will take gambles regularly. One thing he refuses to gamble with is the QB’s knowledge and operation of the system or his ability to protect the ball.

However, he will forgive and occasional pick if he thinks the QBS at least had the right idea when he threw the pick. He’ll always ask him what he saw and what he was thinking when he throws the pick. He understands and forgives the occasional turnover much more than he does freelancing or not operating the system.

Those insider reports were true. Richt admitted he thought Rosier would never play for him. Rosier had a bad spring in 2017, too.

The coaches were hoping Perry would win the job but (1) Perry wasn't ready; and (2) Rosier improved tremendously. Berrios and others commented on how Rosier finally committed to film study.

There were never any reports that Perry was killing it in practice. The Perry predictions (mine included) were based on our knowledge of Rosier and Shirreffs. Perry hadn't gotten here yet. Williams is generating buzz based on his practice performance.

I never question that insiders were reporting what they honestly thought they saw then, or now.

It’s the interpretation of how what they see projects for the future that’s always in question.

You will recall that even last spring, there were only a few of us that were saying that logic and historical data dictated that Rosier was the likely starter, even before summer practice.

It’s very encouraging to hear these reports on Williams. The point I’m making now is that the while I no doubt believe that Williams looks impressive to the casual and occasionally knowledgeable observer, the actual pecking order as determined by the coaches, is what really matters. We will know what that is on Saturday.

Could it change this summer?

Absolutely. It might even be a three man race. We shall see.

One thing I'm optimistic about this season over last is what I touched on above. If your QB doesn't know how to properly run the offense, if he doesn't have a real good grasp on what he's doing under center, then the rest of the offense isn't getting effective reps. The overall quality of practice suffers on both sides of the ball because the defense isn't competing against a properly run offense, they're feasting on mistakes. Defense is good when it succeeds in spite of the offense executing flawlessly. When you just get out there and snuff a play out for minimal gain with a nice form tackle. You can't practice that effectively when half the reps you're exploiting QB misreads and mistakes.

This season, CMR says Rosier knows what he's doing out there and the rest of the guys trust him to know what to do and get them in the right play. That means a ton as far as the overall quality of each rep in each practice. You can despise Rosier all you want and pray for someone to pass him on the chart, but he is giving our guys quality reps that we desperately need in order to get better at each position.
Funny you say this. Could it be our D suffered last season because they were practicing against Rosier instead of a better QB?

Advertisement
I never question that insiders were reporting what they honestly thought they saw then, or now.

It’s the interpretation of how what they see projects for the future that’s always in question.

You will recall that even last spring, there were only a few of us that were saying that logic and historical data dictated that Rosier was the likely starter, even before summer practice.

It’s very encouraging to hear these reports on Williams. The point I’m making now is that the while I no doubt believe that Williams looks impressive to the casual and occasionally knowledgeable observer, the actual pecking order as determined by the coaches, is what really matters. We will know what that is on Saturday.

Could it change this summer?

Absolutely. It might even be a three man race. We shall see.

You guys had that prediction right on.

It’s still way too early to make any meaningful call in the race. If you asked me for my 10-cent opinion in April, I could see a platoon.

You guys had that prediction right on.

It’s still way too early to make any meaningful call in the race. If you asked me for my 10-cent opinion in April, I could see a platoon.

I don’t know enough to make a prediction, you’ve at least seen practices, I can’t go by the one scrimmage I saw. Honestly, the one thing I’m certain of is our d-line is nasty.

It’s good fodder on this site for discussion and keeps things lively, but I’m keeping an open mind and hoping both, or even all 3 guys, give Rosier a real run for his money, if not outright beat him.

I just want to be walking out of Jerry’s world Sunday night happy and somewhat drunk.

LSU might not be what they were, but it’s a huge game for us that starts a run of 3 straight big time SEC marquee openers. That’s huge.

So it’s time to plant our flag.

TBH, I don’t care who starts, if it’s Malik and he completes only 45% of his passes and looks like a chewed up cigar when it’s over, I just want the W. I don’t care.

I don’t know enough to make a prediction, you’ve at least seen practices, I can’t go by the one scrimmage I saw. Honestly, the one thing I’m certain of is our d-line is nasty.

It’s good fodder on this site for discussion and keeps things lively, but I’m keeping an open mind and hoping both, or even all 3 guys, give Rosier a real run for his money, if not outright beat him.

I just want to be walking out of Jerry’s world Sunday night happy and somewhat drunk.

LSU might not be what they were, but it’s a huge game for us that starts a run of 3 straight big time SEC marquee openers. That’s huge.

So it’s time to plant our flag.

TBH, I don’t care who starts, if it’s Malik and he completes only 45% of his passes and looks like a chewed up cigar when it’s over, I just want the W. I don’t care.
Somewhat drunk being the operative words!

Advertisement
Back