Williams versus Perry

Williams is going to be the starter. He will win us just as many games as Rosier or more. Also he isn’t even half as good as he will be come week 1. He will overtake the job somewhere during the summer. It’s only a matter of time.
U think they throw him in game 1 vs LSU? If so I'm all for it but surprised they would

Advertisement
I'm not too concerned with who Williams is going up against in practice, I'm mainly looking to see if he knows where to go with the football. That kid is sharp and decisive. And unlike Perry, he doesn't take forever to get us lined up and the ball snapped.

Did anybody see the back-to-back RPO's he threw in the spring game?

Williams may be legit for this year.

I don’t know.

Let’s review some facts from last year at this time and from last summer.

We were being told by the same insiders that Rosier was looking really bad in practices, thereby his chances at being the starter were very poor, that the coaches were planning to try to start Perry, or at the very least give him every single possible chance to be the man last year.

Do I need to pull up those posts?

Remember all the “Perry da gawww” porsts?

About 90% of the board was in the throes of the N’Kosi rapture. Until about the 2nd or 3 rd week in August.

That info was real info from the same real insiders. I would never question that. It’s how that information is interpreted and processed that’s not so easy. Things can get lost in translation,

I don’t doubt that Williams has looked good to some in some spots. I just wonder if these observers are getting the whole picture. They sure weren’t last year.

In my opinion, I wouldn’t count Perry out. Just like I thought Malik would get the job last year. Malik has the lead now. I still think Perry could unseat him because I’m not buying any evaluations unless they come from Rick. Or Rosier could still end up ahead.

I’m not even counting out Williams.

But this business about Williams already blowing by Perry?

Nah....not unless we hear it after the scrimmage on Saturday from Rick.

Advertisement
I'm not too concerned with who Williams is going up against in practice, I'm mainly looking to see if he knows where to go with the football. That kid is sharp and decisive. And unlike Perry, he doesn't take forever to get us lined up and the ball snapped.

Did anybody see the back-to-back RPO's he threw in the spring game?

this.

coach macho is muy correcto.

i won the starting job on one significant stat. My RR was the highest of all the QB's on the roster that fall.

(RR=Right Receiver) ... what percent of your throws go to the right target. you can have a high completion percentage, but if you're not hitting the guy that the situation, progression and coverage says you should hit, then you aren't really running the offense.

Pretty clear the practice observers don't value the same things or at least notice the same things Richt notices when he watches his QBs practice. Maybe it is because they look at Rosier as the runt of the litter but I highly doubt any of them would have relayed the story Richt did about Rosier from Tuesday's practice.

The story about Rosier making that check in the first down drill and throwing the ball to Harley for a big completion of about 25 yards. When Richt starts telling those stories about Williams and Perry then the competition is real and all these proclamations about one of them winning the job have some validity.

Williams may be legit for this year.

I don’t know.

Let’s review some facts from last year at this time and from last summer.

We were being told by the same insiders that Rosier was looking really bad in practices, thereby his chances at being the starter were very poor, that the coaches were planning to try to start Perry, or at the very least give him every single possible chance to be the man last year.

Do I need to pull up those posts?

Remember all the “Perry da gawww” porsts?

About 90% of the board was in the throes of the N’Kosi rapture. Until about the 2nd or 3 rd week in August.

That info was real info from the same real insiders. I would never question that. It’s how that information is interpreted and processed that’s not so easy. Things can get lost in translation,

I don’t doubt that Williams has looked good to some in some spots. I just wonder if these observers are getting the whole picture. They sure weren’t last year.

In my opinion, I wouldn’t count Perry out. Just like I thought Malik would get the job last year. Malik has the lead now. I still think Perry could unseat him because I’m not buying any evaluations unless they come from Rick. Or Rosier could still end up ahead.

I’m not even counting out Williams.

But this business about Williams already blowing by Perry?

Nah....not unless we hear it after the scrimmage on Saturday from Rick.

Thanks, I just don't have the energy to type all that out but I've been thinking a lot about the Perry hype from last year.

Nah. Rosier will have to absolutely **** the bed for that to happen. Williams will have to somehow have every single light switch on come Summer or he won't start. ***** it, I think he should but we all know Mark won't do that.
If Rosier has to absolutely **** the bed for Jarren to start, then Jarren will start by the end of the year guaranteed.

Advertisement
Exactly. He’s going to go with the safest bet possible.
I see this commented a lot, but it's never really explained.

Define safe.

Do you mean that our coach might start the guy who's practiced and scrimmaged the best, and therefore likely gives us the best chance to win football games, rather than going with an unknown quantity that hasn't really been able to put it together on the practice field but has obvious talent and potential, so ***** it: Let's roll the dice and gamble that they may play better than they practice?

I'm genuinely asking. If that's not is meant, it needs to be clarified because that's the way it sounds. If that is what is meant. That's never going to happen because it's stupid.

Just going by what was reported by Stefan in another thread. What I was getting at is was OP watching Williams throwing against the 1’s, etc.

In other words, was Williams getting 1st team snaps. That’s what I meant when I said, “what was he watching”, not whether OP was legit. My assumption was he actually did see at least some of the practice .
He saw another guy lighting it up in t-shirt work wearing shorts and flip-flops throwing against air...just like last year. They all look good in that setting. I really like what I'm hearing about Williams, but experience has taught me to temper expectations until these guys get some real live action. Allison had a howitzer until Richt made QB's live for a scrimmage and he got his *** busted a few times. After that he jumped on I-95 North and hasn't stopped yet.

Don't expect it in the spring. But in the fall, if anybody begins really nipping on Rosier's heels and Richt makes QB's live for a scrimmage, that's your cue that we have a real QB race, and not until then. Richt already knows what he's got in Rosier. If he makes QBs live, he wants to see Perry and Williams react when the hits hurt.

I see this commented a lot, but it's never really explained.

Define safe.

Do you mean that our coach might start the guy who's practiced and scrimmaged the best, and therefore likely gives us the best chance to win football games, rather than going with an unknown quantity that hasn't really been able to put it together on the practice field but has obvious talent and potential, so ***** it: Let's roll the dice and gamble that they may play better than they practice?

I'm genuinely asking. If that's not is meant, it needs to be clarified because that's the way it sounds. If that is what is meant. That's never going to happen because it's stupid.
You’re saying he practice and scrimmage the best when reports fluctuate everyday who looks better. He’s going to go with the limited guy who knows how to do everything but can’t because he’s scared of all the bad that could happen with the young bulls instead of tweaking the offense to their strengths And giving us a better chance to be explosive. He has no flexibility as an oc. If what happened to FSU last year with their qbs happened to us richt couldn’t get a young qb ready like jimbo did with Blackman

You’re saying he practice and scrimmage the best when reports fluctuate everyday who looks better. He’s going to go with the limited guy who knows how to do everything but can’t because he’s scared of all the bad that could happen with the young bulls instead of tweaking the offense to their strengths And giving us a better chance to be explosive. He has no flexibility as an oc. If what happened to FSU last year with their qbs happened to us richt couldn’t get a young qb ready like jimbo did with Blackman
I'm not saying anything. I'm asking a question, to which I can only infer your answer to be:

"If Perry isn't doing well in Richt's system, the system is the problem and needs to change."
Is this the gamble you'd prefer over "playing it safe?" You want us to overhaul our entire offensive philosophy to cater to every freshman who struggles to grasp the offense immediately?

I was wrong. This isn't stupid. It's ******* retarded.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Unless Rosier losses his mind in Fall camp he will be the starter against LSU IMO. Rosier can beat LSU. We'll see what happens from there. And also, Richt is not an idiot. Even coming close to naming Williams the first team guy heading into Fall could cause Perry and Weldon to leave which wouldn't be a good thing for the team overall.

i thought perry da gawwww was gonna start as a true freshman???

"his film is so good doe!!!"
"hes from florida!!!!!"

Advertisement
So now the transitive property applies to who starts at QB? "Well, last year we were burned with N'Kosi, so we must be getting burned with all this great talk about Jarren Williams, you're not going to fool me!" One has nothing to do with the other. Different styles and, most importantly, one seems to care a lot more about the game. I get it. It's been years and years since we've had a great QB around here. You're skeptical. You think the reports are bogus and we're stuck with Rosier for forever.

I'm not crowning the dude just yet, but I sure as **** like each and every report I'm reading about him.

So why are they running him out with the 4th team?

If he’s already ahead of Weldon & Perry give him second/first team snaps

Who said he's running out with the 4th team? You're basing that out of Stefan Adams' observations of the order that the QBs do throwing warmups in. That is not completely reflective of what reps each QB is getting in team sessions.

We've seen it reported here numerous times that Williams has, at the least, worked his way to getting reps with the 2s

Who said he's running out with the 4th team? You're basing that out of Stefan Adams' observations of the order that the QBs do throwing warmups in. That is not completely reflective of what reps each QB is getting in team sessions.

We've seen it reported here numerous times that Williams has, at the least, worked his way to getting reps with the 2s
He was getting reps with the 2s when Weldon was out. Now that’s Weldon is back, Williams is right back at 4th . The order that they throw warm ups in has been indicative of the same order they have been on the depth chart all spring . Now that it doesn’t fit the narrative all of a sudden it’s not indicative ? Ok

Advertisement
Back