Will the day come where Miami drops the name "Hurricanes"?

View attachment 96451

She wrote an article about this after Andrew to suggest the Canes drop the "Hurricanes" from their sports team naming and it almost killed her sports writing career.....

Any REAL Canes fan would have known this history.

The idea of a "team mascot" is that it represents Power, Dominance and putting Fear into your opponents.....There ain't another mascot in the world more powerful than a Hurricane....

Until some university decides to make their mascot "GOD"....

It was Linda Robertson, not SMD.

Advertisement
We almost didn't name the team Hurricanes. Then, once they realized there were no bears in Chicago, or Lions in Detroit, all was well.

Hurricanes are a part of the history of South Florida. The school is named Hurricanes because it's opening was delayed because of the great hurricane of 1926. We're in a period of more active hurricane seasons, similar to the period from 1940-1965. From 1965 about 1995, we were in a period of slower activity. Of course we got hit in 1992. We'll be in another slower period again soon and people will forget about this.

I was going to Miami when Andrew hit. I do not recall any type of student vote regarding the Hurricanes name. Frankly, I don't see how that would be up to student vote anyway. A change in mascot name would be up to the Board of Trustees I'm sure.

The only person I heard mention such a change was Linda Robertson of the Miami Herald. She was ridiculed at the time and deservedly so.

Look, most mascots are based on things that cause fear or intimidate (Gators, Wildcats, Lions, Tigers, Bears, Bulldogs, etc.). The mascot names that have changed over the years have been due to sensitivity over depictions of Native Americans, not because of the destruction caused by animals or weather phenomena.

I was going to Miami when Andrew hit. I do not recall any type of student vote regarding the Hurricanes name. Frankly, I don't see how that would be up to student vote anyway. A change in mascot name would be up to the Board of Trustees I'm sure.

The only person I heard mention such a change was Linda Robertson of the Miami Herald. She was ridiculed at the time and deservedly so.

Look, most mascots are based on things that cause fear or intimidate (Gators, Wildcats, Lions, Tigers, Bears, Bulldogs, etc.). The mascot names that have changed over the years have been due to sensitivity over depictions of Native Americans, not because of the destruction caused by animals or weather phenomena.
Finally some sense being inserted here.

Advertisement
Maybe one of the old timers can chime in here because this is clearly beyond my knowledge. Wasn't there a period, maybe in the 1930's after a particularly bad storm, that the school actually did consider dropping the name? I want to say I read this somewhere in Hurricane lore.

Finally some sense being inserted here.

So when that kid at Disney World was horrifically killed by a Gator, Where was the UFelony outrage at their mascot name?

Advertisement
On Saturday the Miami Hurricanes travel to North Carolina, a relatively short period of time after Hurricane Dorian passes by. And while the storm will not bring the same level of damage as it did to the Bahamas, the question arises - do some consider it improper to name a team after a natural disaster / force of nature? Across the nation, we've seen schools change team names - is it possible that the University of Miami will eventually elect to drop the name Hurricanes? While this may seem far fetched, I distinctly remember being at UM after Hurricane Andrew when an actual vote was held - I believe by student leadership - whether or not to retain the Hurricanes monicker. That was of course voted down, but if it were to come up to a vote in the future - especially after another major storm hits South Florida - would we keep the name if it is considered offensive? And if changed, what might we alter it to?
DUMB DUMB DUMB

Boy times have changed just see GWU in DC. The school is dropping Colonials because of their SJW students voted for it. So George Washington who was a colonial is now offensive. Who are these punk *** parents raising these fairies? Boy I hope that never happens but it has begun.

Semper Canes!!!

Advertisement
On Saturday the Miami Hurricanes travel to North Carolina, a relatively short period of time after Hurricane Dorian passes by. And while the storm will not bring the same level of damage as it did to the Bahamas, the question arises - do some consider it improper to name a team after a natural disaster / force of nature? Across the nation, we've seen schools change team names - is it possible that the University of Miami will eventually elect to drop the name Hurricanes? While this may seem far fetched, I distinctly remember being at UM after Hurricane Andrew when an actual vote was held - I believe by student leadership - whether or not to retain the Hurricanes monicker. That was of course voted down, but if it were to come up to a vote in the future - especially after another major storm hits South Florida - would we keep the name if it is considered offensive? And if changed, what might we alter it to?

GTFO, just stop

AEAAE5A7-6D04-44D2-9615-577A9CA9B955.gif

Advertisement
You’re an idiot.

Why? I remember when it was tried in 1992. Not advocating for it, just speculating if and when the issue will come up again.

Some Herald beat writer chick came up with that after Hurricane Andrew.

Another "I am so sensitive" PC b.itch.
She shut up after people told her to go to ****...

We will change names only when they determine that harricanes had slaves

How about snowflakes, cuz that’s the people who would actually vote for that ****

Advertisement
Back