Will the day come where Miami drops the name "Hurricanes"?

GojiraCane

All ACC
On Saturday the Miami Hurricanes travel to North Carolina, a relatively short period of time after Hurricane Dorian passes by. And while the storm will not bring the same level of damage as it did to the Bahamas, the question arises - do some consider it improper to name a team after a natural disaster / force of nature? Across the nation, we've seen schools change team names - is it possible that the University of Miami will eventually elect to drop the name Hurricanes? While this may seem far fetched, I distinctly remember being at UM after Hurricane Andrew when an actual vote was held - I believe by student leadership - whether or not to retain the Hurricanes monicker. That was of course voted down, but if it were to come up to a vote in the future - especially after another major storm hits South Florida - would we keep the name if it is considered offensive? And if changed, what might we alter it to?

Advertisement
On Saturday the Miami Hurricanes travel to North Carolina, a relatively short period of time after Hurricane Dorian passes by. And while the storm will not bring the same level of damage as it did to the Bahamas, the question arises - do some consider it improper to name a team after a natural disaster / force of nature? Across the nation, we've seen schools change team names - is it possible that the University of Miami will eventually elect to drop the name Hurricanes? While this may seem far fetched, I distinctly remember being at UM after Hurricane Andrew when an actual vote was held - I believe by student leadership - whether or not to retain the Hurricanes monicker. That was of course voted down, but if it were to come up to a vote in the future - especially after another major storm hits South Florida - would we keep the name if it is considered offensive? And if changed, what might we alter it to?
Omg omg omg I’m ******* done. These posts are just too much lol!

Advertisement
Advertisement
QIYekMP.gif

Advertisement
Yes, we'll change it to sustainable, bio-degradeable bubble wrapped nerf balls.

That'll be the day when climate change has caused testosterone level to have dropped so far that the first tackle of the season will cause spontaneous osteoporosis and a concussion.

Advertisement
You have nothing better to do than speculate about stupid things? Feel bad for you bruh!
No, not that at all. I read an article this week about college teams changing their names or mascots for reasons of avoiding offense. We just had a Category 5 storm obliterate part of the Bahamas, we're traveling to UNC right after the same storm passes by, and I remember when Miami students voted on whether to change the name in 1992. It kind of just popped into my mind - was wondering if anyone else thought about this. Just posted it while eating dinner on a rare night where I got home relatively early.

Nothing would surprise me in today's pussified society.

Advertisement
Back