Will the day come where Miami drops the name "Hurricanes"?

Advertisement
I say we should become the ....

Miami Thunder Sticks !

Seriously man. A Hurricane is a Hurricane. Stop with the Charmin mentality.

I know you raised the question, but you did also raise the question.. Get it. Others do.

What OP meant to say: “Will the day come where it will be okay for me to swallow bleach”
Me: yes, September 5th, 2019

You are pretty bold posting the biggest bull**** I’ve read on here. And with these guys? Man good luck to yourself.
Wasn't trying to be bold, or make other fans or alumni angry. Just a question - not a position to do it. Didn't realize some of these guys would get so angry. My bad.

Whoever runs this site - if you want to delete this thread, go ahead.

Advertisement
I say we should become the ....

Miami Thunder Sticks !

Seriously man. A Hurricane is a Hurricane. Stop with the Charmin mentality.

I know you raised the question, but you did also raise the question.. Get it. Others do.
Yeah, I think I get what you are saying (although it turns out that after doing a quick web search, the question was already raised earlier this year in a not to serious matter). Again, my bad.

On Saturday the Miami Hurricanes travel to North Carolina, a relatively short period of time after Hurricane Dorian passes by. And while the storm will not bring the same level of damage as it did to the Bahamas, the question arises - do some consider it improper to name a team after a natural disaster / force of nature? Across the nation, we've seen schools change team names - is it possible that the University of Miami will eventually elect to drop the name Hurricanes? While this may seem far fetched, I distinctly remember being at UM after Hurricane Andrew when an actual vote was held - I believe by student leadership - whether or not to retain the Hurricanes monicker. That was of course voted down, but if it were to come up to a vote in the future - especially after another major storm hits South Florida - would we keep the name if it is considered offensive? And if changed, what might we alter it to?
If liberals have anything to do with it then no doubt, and I'm not even trying to start a political conversation

Advertisement
I was a student in 1992 and I don't remember a vote, but I do remember it being brought up. Everybody laughed at the idea.

Should they ever do such an incredible act of stupidity, I will never donate another penny or purchase any merchandise. I'll also completely abandon college football.

Someone tell OP that's a dog days of summer question.

Game day can't get here quick enough.

Signed,

Peruche

I was a student in 1992 and I don't remember a vote, but I do remember it being brought up. Everybody laughed at the idea.

Should they ever do such an incredible act of stupidity, I will never donate another penny or purchase any merchandise. I'll also completely abandon college football.
I remember reading about it as a blurb in the Herald, and that it was voted down.

Advertisement
Screen Shot 2019-09-05 at 5.01.49 PM.png

She wrote an article about this after Andrew to suggest the Canes drop the "Hurricanes" from their sports team naming and it almost killed her sports writing career.....

Any REAL Canes fan would have known this history.

The idea of a "team mascot" is that it represents Power, Dominance and putting Fear into your opponents.....There ain't another mascot in the world more powerful than a Hurricane....

Until some university decides to make their mascot "GOD"....

There was a video made recently where a guy came on campus to petition this. He got people to agree with him and I he got students to vote on a new mascot as ‘Cacti’

Advertisement
Yeah, I think I get what you are saying (although it turns out that after doing a quick web search, the question was already raised earlier this year in a not to serious matter). Again, my bad.
Yes, I think the students brought it up recently in the paper for the school.

if we wanted to worry about Hurricanes, then half of mascots and names from all sports should really be gone. And this become an over sensitive slippery slope.

Yes, I think the students brought it up recently in the paper for the school.

if we wanted to worry about Hurricanes, then half of mascots and names from all sports should really be gone. And this become an over sensitive slippery slope.
Yeah, that was kind of in the back of my mind. You could make the offensive argument with any number of mascots.

Gators - Have killed people
Tarheels - An epithet turned to a name of pride by NC soldiers in the Civil War
Chipewas - Named after the Native American tribe that used to inhabit the Central Michigan area

Advertisement
Back