Will the day come where Miami drops the name "Hurricanes"?

Advertisement
On Saturday the Miami Hurricanes travel to North Carolina, a relatively short period of time after Hurricane Dorian passes by. And while the storm will not bring the same level of damage as it did to the Bahamas, the question arises - do some consider it improper to name a team after a natural disaster / force of nature? Across the nation, we've seen schools change team names - is it possible that the University of Miami will eventually elect to drop the name Hurricanes? While this may seem far fetched, I distinctly remember being at UM after Hurricane Andrew when an actual vote was held - I believe by student leadership - whether or not to retain the Hurricanes monicker. That was of course voted down, but if it were to come up to a vote in the future - especially after another major storm hits South Florida - would we keep the name if it is considered offensive? And if changed, what might we alter it to?

W
T
F

Is wrong with you?

Advertisement
On Saturday the Miami Hurricanes travel to North Carolina, a relatively short period of time after Hurricane Dorian passes by. And while the storm will not bring the same level of damage as it did to the Bahamas, the question arises - do some consider it improper to name a team after a natural disaster / force of nature? Across the nation, we've seen schools change team names - is it possible that the University of Miami will eventually elect to drop the name Hurricanes? While this may seem far fetched, I distinctly remember being at UM after Hurricane Andrew when an actual vote was held - I believe by student leadership - whether or not to retain the Hurricanes monicker. That was of course voted down, but if it were to come up to a vote in the future - especially after another major storm hits South Florida - would we keep the name if it is considered offensive? And if changed, what might we alter it to?

View attachment 96451

She wrote an article about this after Andrew to suggest the Canes drop the "Hurricanes" from their sports team naming and it almost killed her sports writing career.....

Any REAL Canes fan would have known this history.

The idea of a "team mascot" is that it represents Power, Dominance and putting Fear into your opponents.....There ain't another mascot in the world more powerful than a Hurricane....

Until some university decides to make their mascot "GOD"....

Don't think it was her. I believe it was Miami Herald sports reporter Linda Robertson.

View attachment 96451

She wrote an article about this after Andrew to suggest the Canes drop the "Hurricanes" from their sports team naming and it almost killed her sports writing career.....

Any REAL Canes fan would have known this history.

The idea of a "team mascot" is that it represents Power, Dominance and putting Fear into your opponents.....There ain't another mascot in the world more powerful than a Hurricane....

Until some university decides to make their mascot "GOD"....
THE UNIVERSITY OF MIAMI GODS...
1567738856177.gif

Advertisement
Wasn't trying to be bold, or make other fans or alumni angry. Just a question - not a position to do it. Didn't realize some of these guys would get so angry. My bad.

Whoever runs this site - if you want to delete this thread, go ahead.
Unfortunately, this probably will come up in the future due to how hyper sensitive a good portion of society has become. Maybe they'll propose something like The Miami extreme weather phenomena.

Seriously dude, I had my house blow up above my family and I during '92 Andrew. We all walked out the next morning wearing our canes
gear and heads up. Born cane blood proud to be Hurricanes for life. The Hurricanes will NEVER drop our name. Its Great To be a Miami HURRICANE!!!!
BTW at the 92 ped state away game we were continuously being harnessed hurricane related verbally ****ed on be their fans. **** on them.

Advertisement
I was going to Miami when Andrew hit. I do not recall any type of student vote regarding the Hurricanes name. Frankly, I don't see how that would be up to student vote anyway. A change in mascot name would be up to the Board of Trustees I'm sure.

The only person I heard mention such a change was Linda Robertson of the Miami Herald. She was ridiculed at the time and deservedly so.

Look, most mascots are based on things that cause fear or intimidate (Gators, Wildcats, Lions, Tigers, Bears, Bulldogs, etc.). The mascot names that have changed over the years have been due to sensitivity over depictions of Native Americans, not because of the destruction caused by animals or weather phenomena.

Agree on your first paragraph; the students don’t get to make that decision.

And for those of you that are also Syracuse fans they actually used to be known as the Syracuse Orangemen. As you noted in your last paragraph regarding native Americans, they actually changed it to Syracuse Orange.

Advertisement
Again, this wasn’t a call to change the name. I don’t want it to ever change. It was just a what if, based on trends and based on the fact that many years ago, in a less sensitive time, there was actually some sort of vote (perhaps totally against - IDK) to do such a thing.

Again for the mod, please just lock or delete this thread.

**** I thought our official name was The U. How long has it been the Hurricanes because we have been in a tropical depression for almost 2 decades. Hoping to see that all turn around and be feared again someday soon!

The day we change our name and mascot is the day I stop watching college sports!

Seriously dude, I had my house blow up above my family and I during '92 Andrew. We all walked out the next morning wearing our canes
gear and heads up. Born cane blood proud to be Hurricanes for life. The Hurricanes will NEVER drop our name. Its Great To be a Miami HURRICANE!!!!
BTW at the 92 ped state away game we were continuously being harnessed hurricane related verbally ****ed on be their fans. **** on them.
Were you in Homestead? I was supposed to move in that day but stayed at home up in Coral Springs...we got Cat 1 caliber winds but nothing too serious. It was crazy though going back south two weeks later and seeing the extent of the damage.

Advertisement
Back