Will the day come where Miami drops the name "Hurricanes"?

On Saturday the Miami Hurricanes travel to North Carolina, a relatively short period of time after Hurricane Dorian passes by. And while the storm will not bring the same level of damage as it did to the Bahamas, the question arises - do some consider it improper to name a team after a natural disaster / force of nature? Across the nation, we've seen schools change team names - is it possible that the University of Miami will eventually elect to drop the name Hurricanes? While this may seem far fetched, I distinctly remember being at UM after Hurricane Andrew when an actual vote was held - I believe by student leadership - whether or not to retain the Hurricanes monicker. That was of course voted down, but if it were to come up to a vote in the future - especially after another major storm hits South Florida - would we keep the name if it is considered offensive? And if changed, what might we alter it to?
Will there come a day when you drop the name puswa?

Advertisement
On Saturday the Miami Hurricanes travel to North Carolina, a relatively short period of time after Hurricane Dorian passes by. And while the storm will not bring the same level of damage as it did to the Bahamas, the question arises - do some consider it improper to name a team after a natural disaster / force of nature? Across the nation, we've seen schools change team names - is it possible that the University of Miami will eventually elect to drop the name Hurricanes? While this may seem far fetched, I distinctly remember being at UM after Hurricane Andrew when an actual vote was held - I believe by student leadership - whether or not to retain the Hurricanes monicker. That was of course voted down, but if it were to come up to a vote in the future - especially after another major storm hits South Florida - would we keep the name if it is considered offensive? And if changed, what might we alter it to?

Reasonable question.

But as you can see by the replies, the posters on this site represent the lowest of the low.

Advertisement
Holy **** shut the **** up and join him leaving this site

^ case in point.

A natural disaster causes a lot of suffering, so I could see why they would change it. But unlike the harm caused by racially insensitive names, society has been well aware of that suffering for thousands of years. Additionally, since it's not man-driven suffering, it's probably not quite as controversial.

But nope. Instead of a discussion like that, or fun speculation about new names, we get small-brained posts like the one I quoted above. Nice try @GojiraCane, but this forum is a cesspool.

^ case in point.

A natural disaster causes a lot of suffering, so I could see why they would change it. But unlike the harm caused by racially insensitive names, society has been well aware of that suffering for thousands of years. Additionally, since it's not man-driven suffering, it's probably not quite as controversial.

But nope. Instead of a discussion like that, or fun speculation about new names, we get small-brained posts like the one I quoted above. Nice try @GojiraCane, but this forum is a cesspool.
You are a cesspool you ****tit. Get over yourself.

Hey OP. I found out that drinking pool chlorine makes your dck as huge as Shane Diesel’s. I tried it and it worked!!!!

Advertisement
^ case in point.

FAMU. Should change it also. People all over the world suffer pain and suffering from rattle snake bites.
Nova should also stop the shark name. Horrific bites and even amputations.
BTW should also stop using tornados.
San Jose Earthquakes is pretty self explanatory.
But why stop there let’s also go with nicknames.
The Marines are called devil dogs. I mean what better name to change than the description of a blood thirsty hound sent from **** to cause death and destruction on the enemy you fckn poor excuse of a man!
Stop reproducing your line right now before anyone that wants to invade this country just has to start playing John Mayer songs through a speaker.

We could always opt for the Miami NADS, I suppose.

GO! NADS!

If I could change the school's name to the most recent natural disaster our opponents area has gone through I would do it.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I haven't gotten to the first response, so I have no idea what others are saying or why in the **** this would get to 5 pages, but fck man. Like what the actual fck are you doing?

Advertisement
Back