Will the day come where Miami drops the name "Hurricanes"?

No, not that at all. I read an article this week about college teams changing their names or mascots for reasons of avoiding offense. We just had a Category 5 storm obliterate part of the Bahamas, we're traveling to UNC right after the same storm passes by, and I remember when Miami students voted on whether to change the name in 1992. It kind of just popped into my mind - was wondering if anyone else thought about this. Just posted it while eating dinner on a rare night where I got home relatively early.
I was a senior in 92/93. I have zero memory of any such vote. Could you provide some details? I surely would have voted no if admin was holding a let’s rename the teams.

Advertisement
giphy.gif

I was a senior in 92/93. I have zero memory of any such vote. Could you provide some details? I surely would have voted no if admin was holding a let’s rename the teams.
I don’t...and I tried looking it up. I just recall reading a few months after Andrew...either in the Herald or the Hurricane that there had been a vote on changing the name, and that we elected to keep the Hurricanes name. It was a two or three line blurb.

Omg omg omg I’m ******* done. These posts are just too much lol!
On Saturday the Miami Hurricanes travel to North Carolina, a relatively short period of time after Hurricane Dorian passes by. And while the storm will not bring the same level of damage as it did to the Bahamas, the question arises - do some consider it improper to name a team after a natural disaster / force of nature? Across the nation, we've seen schools change team names - is it possible that the University of Miami will eventually elect to drop the name Hurricanes? While this may seem far fetched, I distinctly remember being at UM after Hurricane Andrew when an actual vote was held - I believe by student leadership - whether or not to retain the Hurricanes monicker. That was of course voted down, but if it were to come up to a vote in the future - especially after another major storm hits South Florida - would we keep the name if it is considered offensive? And if changed, what might we alter it to?
Now this is how you troll, Great job !!!

Advertisement
Lord..... forgive me as i'm trying to walk in my new spiritual being but I have to load up my choppa for this one mannnnn. TheF<^**!!

Smdh

Advertisement
Why? I remember when it was tried in 1992. Not advocating for it, just speculating if and when the issue will come up again.
Give it up GojiraCane...............you are a Gator in disguise. Stop with attending the U with this nonsense....prove it.

I don’t...and I tried looking it up. I just recall reading a few months after Andrew...either in the Herald or the Hurricane that there had been a vote on changing the name, and that we elected to keep the Hurricanes name. It was a two or three line blurb.
I slept in the Mahoney hallway during Andrew and into the next day waited for administration to let us out. There was no vote to change the
name. Students are and remain very proud to be Canes.

No, not that at all. I read an article this week about college teams changing their names or mascots for reasons of avoiding offense. We just had a Category 5 storm obliterate part of the Bahamas, we're traveling to UNC right after the same storm passes by, and I remember when Miami students voted on whether to change the name in 1992. It kind of just popped into my mind - was wondering if anyone else thought about this. Just posted it while eating dinner on a rare night where I got home relatively early.
Most people aren't pc wimps. Sorry bruh.

Its a mascot. It is not harming a single human being.

Ask yourself this. Is it more racist to remove all native American mascots or actually keep them to show representation of a group that was here before whites?

Advertisement
On Saturday the Miami Hurricanes travel to North Carolina, a relatively short period of time after Hurricane Dorian passes by. And while the storm will not bring the same level of damage as it did to the Bahamas, the question arises - do some consider it improper to name a team after a natural disaster / force of nature? Across the nation, we've seen schools change team names - is it possible that the University of Miami will eventually elect to drop the name Hurricanes? While this may seem far fetched, I distinctly remember being at UM after Hurricane Andrew when an actual vote was held - I believe by student leadership - whether or not to retain the Hurricanes monicker. That was of course voted down, but if it were to come up to a vote in the future - especially after another major storm hits South Florida - would we keep the name if it is considered offensive? And if changed, what might we alter it to?
****, didn't realize AOC was on the board. Sounds like name-changing is another part of her Green Deal. Lol

Are there moderators actively monitoring the board? If so, why the **** is crap like this allowed to stay on the front page?

SMDH.

Delete your account

Advertisement
Give it up GojiraCane...............you are a Gator in disguise. Stop with attending the U with this nonsense....prove it.
Remember Yamma Yamma. Put together the “Bobby Bowden is the AntiChrist” banner in the 94 FSU game that didn’t get onto ESPN, but was hung in front on the student center. Remembered how the steps in the stairway attached to Hecht were rusting out. Took classes with Dr Cosford, for whom the theater was later named after. Remember Constantine Popa walking around campus. Remembered the terrible cheeseburgers in the old Eye restaurant located near the pool. Remember UM dumping the expansive cable package that we had for “Canevision” in 1992, precludes PPV and all non local channels except USA and ESPN.

The original post is based on false information and wild assumptions. The issue was never raised by students or fans. The only one who brought up the subject was Linda at the Herald after Hurricane Andrew and she was widely ridiculed for that and the subject immediately died out.
Hence this thread, based on a false narrative should be nuked.

Yeah, that was kind of in the back of my mind. You could make the offensive argument with any number of mascots.

Gators - Have killed people
Tarheels - An epithet turned to a name of pride by NC soldiers in the Civil War
Chipewas - Named after the Native American tribe that used to inhabit the Central Michigan area

Rattlers - Venomous, harmful to people
Spartans- Glorified war
Trojans- Involved in that nasty war over a woman.
Who else am I missing ?

Let's just wear all orange uniforms and we can call ourselves THE FIGHTING CARROTS.

Advertisement
Back