Why does everyone think that N.C. is so far ahead than The U as a football program

You sound weirdly confused.

No one is praising them or suggesting we do anything other than go back at it. Your head is really twisted around. The question is should we lie to ourselves and try to act like butthurt millennials in denial and pretend they didn't just beat us like a red-headed step child, or should we be adults about it, accept we took a beating, and quietly go about doing the work to improve rather than pounding our chests about 1987.
That's exactly what I'm suggesting. It was a humiliating loss that shouldn't define, but should motivate us. That doesn't make them a better team in any respect other than the final score on that day.

Advertisement
So if those vacated L’s were included, are we saying we actually have a losing record against a b-ball school since joining the ACC?
Edit: I think u hi lighted that from the beginning.

Regardless, even if we’re .500 or a one or two win margin over them; bro that’s completely unacceptable. We’re talking UNC; not FSU, not Louisville, not Pitt, not Syracuse....UNC. A freggin Basketball Powerhouse, not known for football sans Lawrence Taylor & Julius Peppers. WTF?? That’s wild to even know we’re this even w/ them & in reality, have a losing record against them in light of W’s being vacated from them.

This season, I want blood bro. Like I want 77-0 blood. That’s bull chit.

We're 8-9 vs UNC since joining the ACC.

We're a combined 1-5 vs Butch Davis & Mack Brown.

We're 3-5 @UNC, and haven't won a game by more than 6 on the road. We're @UNC this year.

Ranking UNC ahead of us makes sense - and I'd prefer it that way as extra motivation since our track record at Chapel Hill isn't good.

Interesting that Miami had the sword of damocles hanging over us for about 5 years due to the Shapiro situation but UNC's scandal was swiftly resolved. I'm fairly certain the Shapiro cloud started before Golden (if I recall there was some noise that he wasn't informed so he got a big raise) and was finally concluded during Richt's tenure. I think Miami is still feeling some lingering aftereffects of that. In a way, it was far worse than just getting busted and told "you get X scholarships for the next X years and bowl bans." At least there a coach could plan around that and recruits had some certainty about what was going to happen. Many people thought the NCAA was going to hit Miami with the death penalty. We likely missed out on a lot of good recruits because of that- it was just too easy to negative recruit. How do you convince a top tier player come to Miami when there were decent odds the program was going to be shut down? On the flip side, UNC had one of the worst cheating scandals in the history of college sports and walked away without any punishment.

"In a conference call with reporters, Sankey acknowledged that “more likely than not” the classes had been set up to keep athletes eligible, but he also said that the evidence put before the committee did not prove so definitively."

The reality is that UNC got away with it because both UNC and Clemson are just as skilled as the SEC schools at cheating and every bit as dirty. The created plausible deniability and that's all that really matters for the NCAA. The NCAA wanted a reason not to punish their cash cow, and UNC knows how to walk the line. Mack Brown is the perfect coach for them because he knows how to game the system. Look- there is zero doubt that Clemson cheats. We know that to be a fact as there is taped admission from one of their basketball coaches. I believe UNC is following a similar blueprint to become the Clemson of the ACC coastal. They are one of the crown jewels of the ACC so they are "made men." It's not fair, but you can't play fair and compete in CFB.

I wouldn’t say they’re far ahead of us, but Mack Brown definitely has Manny’s number...

He knows exactly where the soft spots are in Manny’s Defense & knows exactly how to attack the weak points & exploit his Defense. He saw it everyday in practice at Texas for 2 years, he more than likely knows every play call Diaz has in his repertoire.

Interesting that Miami had the sword of damocles hanging over us for about 5 years due to the Shapiro situation but UNC's scandal was swiftly resolved. I'm fairly certain the Shapiro cloud started before Golden (if I recall there was some noise that he wasn't informed so he got a big raise) and was finally concluded during Richt's tenure. I think Miami is still feeling some lingering aftereffects of that. In a way, it was far worse than just getting busted and told "you get X scholarships for the next X years and bowl bans." At least there a coach could plan around that and recruits had some certainty about what was going to happen. Many people thought the NCAA was going to hit Miami with the death penalty. We likely missed out on a lot of good recruits because of that- it was just too easy to negative recruit. How do you convince a top tier player come to Miami when there were decent odds the program was going to be shut down? On the flip side, UNC had one of the worst cheating scandals in the history of college sports and walked away without any punishment.

"In a conference call with reporters, Sankey acknowledged that “more likely than not” the classes had been set up to keep athletes eligible, but he also said that the evidence put before the committee did not prove so definitively."

The reality is that UNC got away with it because both UNC and Clemson are just as skilled as the SEC schools at cheating and every bit as dirty. The created plausible deniability and that's all that really matters for the NCAA. The NCAA wanted a reason not to punish their cash cow, and UNC knows how to walk the line. Mack Brown is the perfect coach for them because he knows how to game the system. Look- there is zero doubt that Clemson cheats. We know that to be a fact as there is taped admission from one of their basketball coaches. I believe UNC is following a similar blueprint to become the Clemson of the ACC coastal. They are one of the crown jewels of the ACC so they are "made men." It's not fair, but you can't play fair and compete in CFB.
The Tobacco Road Mafia will never allow for UNC to be brought down...

Their Basketball program is easily one of the dirtiest cheating programs in all of D1 Basketball.

They’re just as bad, if not worse than Kansas & Kentucky, but Roy Williams is part of the protected coaches group that will never go down for their cheating in paying players to come to his school.

Advertisement
I wouldn’t say they’re far ahead of us, but Mack Brown definitely has Manny’s number...

He knows exactly where the soft spots are in Manny’s Defense & knows exactly how to attack the weak points & exploit his Defense. He saw it everyday in practice at Texas for 2 years, he more than likely knows every play call Diaz has in his repertoire.

its also the hype you get when you have Howell. they were worse losses than us last year and more losses. they get treated as better even if their overall regular season performance doesn't necessarily indicate it bc Howell is seen as a first round top 5 pick at QB while King isnt.

Why do all the publications have The Tarheels ahead of UM as a football program?
Since both Mack Brown & Manny Diaz were hired for the 2019 season Brown is 15-10 & Diaz is 14-10. This past year Brown lost 4 games 2 to ranked teams & 2 to unranked teams (FSU & Virginia). Manny lost 3 games all to ranked teams, and UM beat both FSU & Virginia. Manny won all the games he was supposed to beat and yes, struggled against the better competition, but so did UNC.
And, as far as recruiting were neck n’ neck. UNC had the better recruiting classes in 20 and UM had the better class in’19 & ‘21. But the difference as far as class rankings is minimal in all 3 years.
so why the Bias towards UNC?
It's cuz they got a legitimate gunslinger/potential 1st overall pick at QB plus an experienced HC with a ring on his finger. That combination alone makes them a dark horse CFP candidate.

Advertisement
It's cuz they got a legitimate gunslinger/potential 1st overall pick at QB plus an experienced HC with a ring on his finger. That combination alone makes them a dark horse CFP candidate.

We both hired retread coaches who had been fired from major programs. Our retread hire had a history of losing on the biggest stage and refused to give up play calling even though it was clear his system wasn't working anymore. Their retread won a national championship at his previous stint and by fielding a top 10 offense this year, he's shown that he can adapt to the modern game. They went from the 78th ranked scoring offense in 2018 to 31st in scoring offense in Brown's first year as HC, then had the #9 offense in the country his second year. Miami just went to a spread offense for the first time this year. Miami is playing catchup with the rest of the top programs and for some reason always seems to be a few years behind the trend.

Football is quarterback driven and they have a really good one. It's as simple as that.

They also had several WRs with actual working hands instead of a WR corps with frying pans attached to the ends of their arms. That helped too.

Advertisement
The Tobacco Road Mafia will never allow for UNC to be brought down...

Their Basketball program is easily one of the dirtiest cheating programs in all of D1 Basketball.

They’re just as bad, if not worse than Kansas & Kentucky, but Roy Williams is part of the protected coaches group that will never go down for their cheating in paying players to come to his school.
any facts? ... been following unc bball for a while and never knew rw to be dirty ... **** he misses out on half the top kids due to ole fashion recruiting and a system that's not really one and done friendly

Advertisement
any facts? ... been following unc bball for a while and never knew rw to be dirty ... **** he misses out on half the top kids due to ole fashion recruiting and a system that's not really one and done friendly

I think this summarizes it pretty well:

“Can it be true that a widespread case of academic fraud, perpetuated over 18 years and disproportionately benefitting the two highest profile sports—football and basketball—was both systemic and yet only narrowly and vaguely understood by a handful of low-level actors? Even if we take UNC at its word that that was the case, we’re invariably left with unsettling answers about why that might be true.”

It would be unbelievably naïve to think Williams didn't know that his players were being enrolled in fake classes to stay eligible.

Want more?

"McCants said his first year he did go to class and took several legitimate, core-curriculum courses. But overall, his transcript shows he ended up with more than 50 percent of his courses being African-American Studies classes.

McCants said he was headed toward ineligibility during the championship season because he had failed algebra and psychology, which accounted for half of his credits, in the fall of 2004. He had two A's in African-American Studies classes in addition to the F's. He said coach Roy Williams informed him of his academic troubles during a meeting ahead of the spring semester.

"There was a slight panic on my part ... [he] said, you know, we're going to be able to figure out how to make it happen, but you need to buckle down on your academics."

He said Williams told him "we're going to be able to change a class from, you know, your summer session class and swap it out with the class that you failed, just so the GPA could reflect that you are in good standing."

Advertisement
Back