Why does everyone think that N.C. is so far ahead than The U as a football program

I think this summarizes it pretty well:

“Can it be true that a widespread case of academic fraud, perpetuated over 18 years and disproportionately benefitting the two highest profile sports—football and basketball—was both systemic and yet only narrowly and vaguely understood by a handful of low-level actors? Even if we take UNC at its word that that was the case, we’re invariably left with unsettling answers about why that might be true.”

It would be unbelievably naïve to think Williams didn't know that his players were being enrolled in fake classes to stay eligible.

Want more?

"McCants said his first year he did go to class and took several legitimate, core-curriculum courses. But overall, his transcript shows he ended up with more than 50 percent of his courses being African-American Studies classes.

McCants said he was headed toward ineligibility during the championship season because he had failed algebra and psychology, which accounted for half of his credits, in the fall of 2004. He had two A's in African-American Studies classes in addition to the F's. He said coach Roy Williams informed him of his academic troubles during a meeting ahead of the spring semester.

"There was a slight panic on my part ... [he] said, you know, we're going to be able to figure out how to make it happen, but you need to buckle down on your academics."

He said Williams told him "we're going to be able to change a class from, you know, your summer session class and swap it out with the class that you failed, just so the GPA could reflect that you are in good standing."
i remember the afam scandal ... that started prior to rw arrival ... i went to uf, there are a bunch of "non showup type classes" ... **** if they cracked down on those across the country you'd be surprise how many guys would be ineligible

Advertisement
Why do all the publications have The Tarheels ahead of UM as a football program?
Since both Mack Brown & Manny Diaz were hired for the 2019 season Brown is 15-10 & Diaz is 14-10. This past year Brown lost 4 games 2 to ranked teams & 2 to unranked teams (FSU & Virginia). Manny lost 3 games all to ranked teams, and UM beat both FSU & Virginia. Manny won all the games he was supposed to beat and yes, struggled against the better competition, but so did UNC.
And, as far as recruiting were neck n’ neck. UNC had the better recruiting classes in 20 and UM had the better class in’19 & ‘21. But the difference as far as class rankings is minimal in all 3 years.
so why the Bias towards UNC?
They hired the right coach......

Advertisement
That's exactly what I'm suggesting. It was a humiliating loss that shouldn't define, but should motivate us. That doesn't make them a better team in any respect other than the final score on that day.
Call it what you want. To the rest of the world, it makes them a better team. When someone beats your *** all over the playground, then drops your pants and introduces you to anal secks, you can claim they’re not your daddy, but until you return the favor, you sound like a kid in denial.

Call it what you want. To the rest of the world, it makes them a better team. When someone beats your *** all over the playground, then drops your pants and introduces you to anal secks, you can claim they’re not your daddy, but until you return the favor, you sound like a kid in denial.
Do you think they have fans who feel the way you do about FSU?

They had our number. That's all.

Advertisement
The 2020 Miami / UNC game was actually closer than the 2015 version. Larry Fedora was crowned the next great coach in college football.

Do you think they have fans who feel the way you do about FSU?

They had our number. That's all.

It really doesn’t matter what logic you use with Ethenic, he’s going to take the contarian angle which makes UM look the worst. I just finished reading in another thread, so it’s fresh in my mind, how he said we really can’t take credit (for recruiting purposes) for our three defensive ends going in the first three rounds this year, because two of them only played here one year, and another one only played for 2 years.

My favorite was that sly old fox saying he didnt know how he'd deal with the Canes D-line and that Manny shoud be conisdered COY.

Then he came out and drug us up and down the field.

Advertisement
My favorite was that sly old fox saying he didnt know how he'd deal with the Canes D-line and that Manny shoud be conisdered COY.

Then he came out and drug us up and down the field.
That was just gamesmanship, he was fūcking with Manny's head, he knew what he was doing. Manny better be planning to try to put 100 on him, or at the very least have him taken out in his sleep. If it was me, I’d have that old coots legs broken

It really doesn’t matter what logic you use with Ethenic, he’s going to take the contarian angle which makes UM look the worst. I just finished reading in another thread, so it’s fresh in my mind, how he said we really can’t take credit (for recruiting purposes) for our three defensive ends going in the first three rounds this year, because two of them only played here one year, and another one only played for 2 years.
I didn’t say we can’t you muttonhead. I said it wasn’t a convincing pitch - recruiting needs to be done strategically. You think the coaches were recruiting against don’t know how to pick us apart?

Hey kid, come here because 3 DEs drafted.

Other coach: you might want to look more closely at that - two of those kids transferred in, one played one season and they weren’t even smart enough to start him the whole time. Oh, and the DL coach they played for is gone. Meanwhile, their program has had a sucky run of developing nfl players for a long time. So if NFL is what you want, come here [fill in the blank].

Also: our opponents recruiting kids at other positions will have a field day: they told so and so to go there because DEs go to nfl. I guess you shouldn’t go there because you’re a [WR/LB/CB].

I’ve been all about recruiting for two decades on these sites. But the simplistic pitch gets picked apart. Just listen to T Rob talk about how he recruited against us. Guys salivating over our strengths never bother think about our deficiencies. Just be balanced and find the pitch that holds together best.

Why do all the publications have The Tarheels ahead of UM as a football program?
Since both Mack Brown & Manny Diaz were hired for the 2019 season Brown is 15-10 & Diaz is 14-10. This past year Brown lost 4 games 2 to ranked teams & 2 to unranked teams (FSU & Virginia). Manny lost 3 games all to ranked teams, and UM beat both FSU & Virginia. Manny won all the games he was supposed to beat and yes, struggled against the better competition, but so did UNC.
And, as far as recruiting were neck n’ neck. UNC had the better recruiting classes in 20 and UM had the better class in’19 & ‘21. But the difference as far as class rankings is minimal in all 3 years.
so why the Bias towards UNC?

Because right now they are BETTER. Did you watch our last match up? I’m not saying NC is some juggernaut, they are not. But we just had a head to head matchup with a costal title and possible playoff spot on the line and they beat the ever living shot out of us. The worst *** kicking I have ever seen a team do to Miami. Worse than the Cuse game in 98. Howell didn’t even need to throw the ball. Until proven otherwise, they are a better team.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I didn’t say we can’t you muttonhead. I said it wasn’t a convincing pitch - recruiting needs to be done strategically. You think the coaches were recruiting against don’t know how to pick us apart?

Hey kid, come here because 3 DEs drafted.

Other coach: you might want to look more closely at that - two of those kids transferred in, one played one season and they weren’t even smart enough to start him the whole time. Oh, and the DL coach they played for is gone. Meanwhile, their program has had a sucky run of developing nfl players for a long time. So if NFL is what you want, come here [fill in the blank].

Also: our opponents recruiting kids at other positions will have a field day: they told so and so to go there because DEs go to nfl. I guess you shouldn’t go there because you’re a [WR/LB/CB].

I’ve been all about recruiting for two decades on these sites. But the simplistic pitch gets picked apart. Just listen to T Rob talk about how he recruited against us. Guys salivating over our strengths never bother think about our deficiencies. Just be balanced and find the pitch that holds together best.

Hit a sensitive spot, I see.

Your counter argument is extremely weak. Of course the competing coach is going to have some kind of response, they have to. But what you were describing isn’t convincing. It’s sophomoric and transparent.

Results are results, first three rounds, baby.

Rosseau was discovered, bred and developed, through and through as a cane.

Roche markedly improved his draft stock in Miami.

Phillips was an unremarkable player at UCLA, and blew up his body and developed into a first round player at Miami.

But you spin it how you spin it, Ethenic.

The facts are indisputable.

Hit a sensitive spot, I see.

Your counter argument is extremely weak. Of course the competing coach is going to have some kind of response, they have to. But what you were describing isn’t convincing. It’s sophomoric and transparent.

Results are results, first three rounds, baby.

Rosseau was discovered, bred and developed, through and through as a cane.

Roche markedly improved his draft stock in Miami.

Phillips was an unremarkable player at UCLA, and blew up his body and developed into a first round player at Miami.

But you spin it how you spin it, Ethenic.

The facts are indisputable.
Feel like you want. Dumb discussion. Whatever. Hope our recruiters are less simplistic in their pitches than some in the fan base wish them to be.

So when your bested, it’s a dumb discussion. Take your toys and run home.
Great. Your contention is you’ve bested me in your articulation of the wisdom of a recruiting pitch. You must be a genius. Or a dude desperate to pat himself on the back. Either way, congrats, you’ve really won something.

Advertisement
Back