Who are your starters for a Miami all time team?

Advertisement
Qb-Bernie (people forget he still had 2 years of eligibility when he left. We win in 86 if he’s still there going away. Maybe in 85 would have gotten even closer to winning that one too)
Rb-Edge
Wr1-Irvin
Wr2-Eddie Brown
Wr3-Andre Johnson
TE-Winslow
LT-Mckinnie
LG-Carey
C-Otto
RG-Brandon Linder
RT-Leon Searcy

DE-Calais Canpbell
DT-Sapp
DT-Jerome Brown
De-Hendricks

Wlb-Armstead
MLB-Lewis
SLB-Morgan

Cb-Ryan McNeil
Cb-Duane Starks
S-Ed Reed
S-Daryl Williams

And if Manny is coaching
Striker-Sean Taylor :)

K-Borregales (sorry hes better than Huerta, Sievers, etc.)
P-Hedley
Armstead doesn’t merit this. Darrin Smith was 2x All American, Barrow 1x, Armstead 0x. Not the only criteria here but pretty relevant amd revealing.

Understand Stubbs. Eddie Edwards merits consideration there also. consensus all american, UM MVP and No. 3 overall pick in nfl draft, went on to very good nfl career, all pro, one of the better DEs of his era. Credited with 83.5 sacks but they weren’t official stat for much of his career, so prolly earned more.

Hard one is Bennie Blades. I get the recency bias to Reed and Taylor, and I have personally never seen a more dominant college S than Taylor ... but Blades had the best career of any UM safety in college. 2x consensus all american, thorpe award, national champion, college football hall of fame. Also holds um interception record (ST tied it). Reed was also 2x aa and national champ, no thorpe award. Those 2 are probably the starters. Taylor didn’t lead a title team and left early. But Blades was widely accepted as the best safety in cfb while reed’s excellence is partly visible jn retrospect - roy williams was drafted higher and took the thorpe their senior year.

You know **** well why. Reed and ST. Says a lot about how great those were when a guy like Blades doesn't get mentioned. There will be greats left off. Lewis or Morgan. Wilfork gets left off because or Jerome and Sapp.
Bennie Blades had a better college career than any other safety from miami.

Advertisement
Armstead doesn’t merit this. Darrin Smith was 2x All American, Barrow 1x, Armstead 0x. Not the only criteria here but pretty relevant amd revealing.
If you go purely by Miami you’re right. If you go by overall career it’s Armstead over smith and barrow and it’s not close. Armstead tore his acl his sophomore year as well. He was the best linebacker of those 3 and that injury threw off the course of his college career.

QB: Kelly
RB: Edge
WR: Playmaker
WR: Andre
WR: Reggie
TE: Olsen
OL: Searcy
OL: McKinney
OL: Otto
OL: Harrah
OL: Carey

(Wow, that is a NASTY offensive line.)
---

DE: Hendricks
DL: Sapp
DL: Maryland
DE: Jerome Brown
OLB: Vilma
MLB: Morgan
OLB: Armistead
DB: Rolle
DB: ST26
S: Ed Reed
S: Bennie Blades

K: Huerta
P: Feagles Sr.

PR: Hester

Coach: JJ

Special consideration to K. Williams, Barrow, Frank Gore, Carrol, and a ****ton of other great players that didn't make this roster.
Offensive line is spot on.

Hope this isnt a repeat of a thread, but since spring practice has kicked off and everyone is discussing who starts and all that, who is your best 11 all time on offense and defense. Mine look like this: Offense can vary, spread, pro, one back etc.,

OFFENSE
QB Walsh
RB Edge
RB Willis
WR Irvin
WR Eddie Brown
TE Winslow
T McKinnie
G Romberg
C KC Jones
G Carey
T Gonzales

DEFENSE:

E Stubbs
T Jerome
T Tez
E Medaris
MLB Barrow
SLB Armstead
WLB Smith
CB McNeil
CB Buchanon
FS Reed
SS Taylor

PR K Williams
KOR Hester
K Sievers
P Headley

D
Let's see. 3-time All-American who had a college position Player of the Year award named after him. Hmmm, who could that be?

Understand Stubbs. Eddie Edwards merits consideration there also. consensus all american, UM MVP and No. 3 overall pick in nfl draft, went on to very good nfl career, all pro, one of the better DEs of his era. Credited with 83.5 sacks but they weren’t official stat for much of his career, so prolly earned more.

Hard one is Bennie Blades. I get the recency bias to Reed and Taylor, and I have personally never seen a more dominant college S than Taylor ... but Blades had the best career of any UM safety in college. 2x consensus all american, thorpe award, national champion, college football hall of fame. Also holds um interception record (ST tied it). Reed was also 2x aa and national champ, no thorpe award. Those 2 are probably the starters. Taylor didn’t lead a title team and left early. But Blades was widely accepted as the best safety in cfb while reed’s excellence is partly visible jn retrospect - roy williams was drafted higher and took the thorpe their senior year.
Stubbs is UMs Career leader in sacks...but Special Thanks to Jerome, who was double teamed 75% of the time...allowing Stubbs to feast...

Advertisement
You don’t have Ray Lewis, Warren Sapp, Ted Hendricks, or Jim Otto starting?
Lewis led the team in tackles for 21 consecutive games. Dan Morgan won every major award in 2000. Not to have Outland winner Russell Maryland and Lombardi winner Warren Sapp on this list is ridiculous.

Last edited:
Great choice to put Walsh at QB.

*11-1 as a starter vs ranked teams. That is one half of all the games he played.
That's ridiculous. Even the one loss was questionable.
*Averaged 30 ppg vs those ranked teams.
*23-1 overall as a starter (.958).
*2 W's vs # 1's
*2 of the greatest comebacks in Canes history on the road vs #4 FSU ('87) and Michigan ('88)
*Played the toughest schedule in Canes history (excluding some of those sick '70's schedules).
*4-0 vs uF/FSU
*'87 Natty

Forget natural talent, Heisman's, pro careers, and all that. No other Cane QB comes close to what I posted above.
Kelly/Kozar are my back-ups.
If they played on Walsh's teams they may have had similar #'s.
I cannot argue with Walsh.

If you go purely by Miami you’re right. If you go by overall career it’s Armstead over smith and barrow and it’s not close. Armstead tore his acl his sophomore year as well. He was the best linebacker of those 3 and that injury threw off the course of his college career.
If you go by nfl career only, you can say it’s armstead. If you go by UM career, he’s not in the discussion and it’s not close. If you want to use some combined stamdard, have at it. But at UM, Armstead isn’t there. And if you want to judge UM LBs on pro outcomes, don’t think Jessie starts either.

Advertisement
Hendricks is the Best DE ever at UM....Period....UMs ONLY 3 time AA...and would have been 4...but frosh weren't allowed to play in the 60s...He was absurdly Great...
Plus, made Steve Spurrier throw a football at him. Sacked the Heisman Trophy winner 6 times as a sophomore.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Stubbs is UMs Career leader in sacks...but Special Thanks to Jerome, who was double teamed 75% of the time...allowing Stubbs to feast...
And Danny wasn't even in the same hemisphere as the Mad Stork. Too bad they did not keep sack stats. My understanding his sack totals would never be touched.

If you go by career only, you can say it’s armstead. If you go by UM career, he’s not in the discussion and it’s not close. If you want to use some combined stamdard, have at it. But at UM, Armstead isn’t there. And if you want to judge UM LBs on pro outcomes, don’t think Jessie starts either.
If you go by NFL he definitely is top 3 all time coming from Miami. He was better than Beason, Vilma, and even going back to Winston Moss.

I stand by what I said: without his knee injury he would easily be considered top 3 at Miami, too.

If you go by NFL he definitely is top 3 all time coming from Miami. He was better than Beason, Vilma, and even going back to Winston Moss.

I stand by what I said: without his knee injury he would easily be considered top 3 at Miami, too.
If we’re going by the NFL, the top 2 LBs ever from UM are both in the Hall of Fame. Ted Hendricks played LB in the NFL. The third best NFL LB career from a UM guy was Dan Conners, imo. Played in the ‘60s. One of the best AFL LBs of his era.

After those guys, Armstead had the longest solid career, but if you watched the giants regularly, he wasn’t that great. Vilma, Morgan but for injuries, Beason, D. Smith, Barrow, those guys all had very strong careers.

Last edited:
Going strictly off UM careers:

Offense-

QB - B Kosar
RB - O Anderson
RB - E James
WR - M Irvin
WR - R Wayne
TE - J Shockey
LT - B McKinney
RT - L Searcy
C - J Otto
LG - V Carey
RG - D Harrah (who needs to be in the HOF)

Defense-

DE - T Hendricks
DE - D Stubbs
DT - J Brown
DT - W Sapp
LB - D Morgan
LB - R Lewis
LB - M Barrow
S - E Reed
S - S Taylor
CB - R McNeil
CB - A Rolle

P - L Hedley
K - C Huerta
KR - D Hester
PR - S Moss
Like it.
Especially Ottis Jerome at RB.

I love Bernie but he had some real clunkers.
I'll let him slide in his first start loss vs the gator because he was a true frosh.
But Meechigan '84 (6 int's) and getting shut out by the 'Noles two weeks later at home were unforgivable.

He's third string on my list.

Advertisement
Back