Who are your starters for a Miami all time team?

Hope this isnt a repeat of a thread, but since spring practice has kicked off and everyone is discussing who starts and all that, who is your best 11 all time on offense and defense. Mine look like this: Offense can vary, spread, pro, one back etc.,

OFFENSE
QB Walsh
RB Edge
RB Willis
WR Irvin
WR Eddie Brown
TE Winslow
T McKinnie
G Romberg
C KC Jones
G Carey
T Gonzales

DEFENSE:

E Stubbs
T Jerome
T Tez
E Medaris
MLB Barrow
SLB Armstead
WLB Smith
CB McNeil
CB Buchanon
FS Reed
SS Taylor

PR K Williams
KOR Hester
K Sievers
P Headley

D
Lol at Barrow over Morgan...and not having Sapp at a DT is pure stupidity.

Advertisement
You must not have watched football before 2000. Tell me who makes the 2 deep and what criteria you’re using.

- Jerome Brown was a consensus All American, national champ at UM, invented Swag, #9 pick in tne nfl draft, 2x first team all pro in nfl and was headed straight to Canton as one of the few best DTs ever before tragically dying in a car crash.

- Russell Maryland won the outland trophy, was a consensus All American 2x National Champ at Miami and the No. 1 pick in the NFL draft. He is in the College Football Hall of Fame. He also won 3 Super Bowls.

- Cortez Kennedy was a consensus All American, 2x National Champ at Miami, #3 pick in the nfl draft, 3x first team all pro, 8x pro bowl, NFL DPOY, nfl all decade tram (’90s). And Canton.

- Warren Sapp was a unanimous all american, won the nagurski and lombardi awards, Big East DPOY, national champ at Miami, #12 pick in nfl draft, 4x first team all pro, 7x pro bowl, super bowl champ, NFL DPOY, and Canton.

- Vince Wilfork (who I think was awesome) was never an all American. He was first team all big east. First round pick. 1x first team all pro. 2x super bowl champ. 5x pro bowl.
Sapp and Jerome are the 2 best DTs in UM History....PERIOD.....

Advertisement
While I agree here, I was thinking specifically the same about Hendricks, but it's really hard to argue over Stubbs and Rusty, especially at Miami.

Same goes for DT's. You're not wrong if you say Wilfork and Sapp and you're not wrong if you say Brown and Kennedy. Personally, I think you could put Brown and Sapp beside each other with Reed/Taylor sitting back deep and just have that be your defense.
Uh....Unfortunately you are miserably wrong if you think Vince is ANYWHERE near Jerome or Sapp...Not even in the same stratosphere...

Yeah that's fair. I think I was conflating the two, because it was Carlos Rogers of Auburn who won in 2004, and while he put up I think one more pic, Taylor was probably the most dominant defensive player in the country that year.

Regardless, Bennie suffers in 'Cane lore strictly because he's not Ed Reed or Sean Taylor. And it's kinda funny that Bennie gets griped about (deservedly so) but almost no one ever talks about Darryl Williams.

With players like we have had, the debate is kinda moot. Do you pick Sean Taylor or Ed Reed? Well, they were two of the best safeties to ever play the game. You're not getting beat because either one of them.

A Lambo might win a drag race but a Ferrari will beat it in the corners.
Darryl Williams is one of my all-time favorites. Great athlete who would only played 3 years. Pure, pure FS who covered a lot of ground. I remember him laying a wicked hit on Fsu wr Kez McCorvey up in tally in 91.. No taunting, no histrionics, just back to the huddle.

Not even in the discussion for best APB ever at Miami. Best APB of last decade? Different discussion.

To steal from jsy above, that speaks more to what we haven't had recently.
The fvck are you talking about? Duke was electric. It’s not his fault he played for the worst Coach in Miami’s history (IMO). Duke avg 7 ypc for his career which is best all time and almost a full yard more than any other miami RB in the top 10 for rushing. He also had Morris and TrFr Kaaya not one of the greats behind center. And while he was surrounded by good talent, it wasn’t close to what some of the other backs mentioned. Please tell me who would be better than Duke in a 3rd down roll?

Advertisement
Great choice to put Walsh at QB.

*11-1 as a starter vs ranked teams. That is one half of all the games he played.
That's ridiculous. Even the one loss was questionable.
*Averaged 30 ppg vs those ranked teams.
*23-1 overall as a starter (.958).
*2 W's vs # 1's
*2 of the greatest comebacks in Canes history on the road vs #4 FSU ('87) and Michigan ('88)
*Played the toughest schedule in Canes history (excluding some of those sick '70's schedules).
*4-0 vs uF/FSU
*2-0 in bowl games
*'87 Natty

Forget natural talent, Heisman's, pro careers, and all that. No other Cane QB comes close to what I posted above.
Kelly/Kozar are my back-ups.
If they played on Walsh's teams they may have had similar #'s.

Last edited:
Great choice to put Walsh at QB.

*11-1 as a starter vs ranked teams. That is one half of all the games he played.
That's ridiculous. Even the one loss was questionable.
*Averaged 30 ppg vs those ranked teams.
*23-1 overall as a starter (.958).
*2 W's vs # 1's
*2 of the greatest comebacks in Canes history on the road vs #4 FSU ('87) and Michigan ('88)
*Played the toughest schedule in Canes history (excluding some of those sick '70's schedules).
*4-0 vs uF/FSU
*'87 Natty

Forget natural talent, Heisman's, pro careers, and all that. No other Cane QB comes close to what I posted above.
Kelly/Kozar are my back-ups.
If they played on Walsh's teams they may have had similar #'s.
Walsh was Captain Clutch!!

Go Canes!!

Advertisement
Based on UM Careers

Offense-

QB - Walsh
RB - OJ
RB - Edge
WR - Playmaker
WR - Dre
TE - KW2
LT - McKinney
RT - Searcy
C - Otto
G - Romberg
G - Harrah

Defense

DE - Hendricks
DE - Rusty
DT - Brown
DT - Sapp
LB - Morgan
LB - Lewis
LB - Vilma
S - Reed
S - Taylor
S- Blades /couldn't leave him off
CB - McNeil
CB - Rolle

P - O'Donnel
K - Huerta
KR - Hester
PR- Hester

Go Canes!!!

QB: Vinny Testaverde
RB: Edgerrin James -OR- Willis McGahee -OR- Duke Johnson
X-WR: Andre Johnson -OR- Leonard Hankerson
Flanker: Michael Irvin -OR- Reggie Wayne
Slot: Santana Moss -OR- Phillip Dorsett
TE: Kellen Winslow II -OR- Bubba Franks -OR- Greg Olsen
LT: Bryant McKinnie -OR- Leon Searcy
LG: Jim Otto -OR- Brett Romberg
C: Chris Myers
RG: Vernon Carey
RT: Juaquin Gonzalez -OR- Orlando Franklin

DE: Ted Hendricks
NT: Vince Wilfork
DT: Warren Sapp -OR- Russell Maryland
DE: Danny Stubbs -OR- Greg Rousseau
WLB: Jonathan Vilma -OR- Darrin Smith
MLB: Dan Morgan -OR- Ray Lewis
Striker: Sean Taylor
Boundary CB: Antrel Rolle
FS: Ed Reed
SS: Bennie Blades -OR- Jaquan Johnson
Nickel CB: Philip Buchanon
Field CB: Ryan McNeil

P: Lou Hedley
K: Jose Borregales
Returner: Devin Hester

Head Coach: Jimmy Johnson
At least pick players from the positions they played at UM. Otto and Romberg at LG? Romberg won the Rimington award as the best Center in college football. Myers at center where he played less than five games his entire career at UM? Vilma at WLB? Taylor at striker? GTHOH

Advertisement
Based on UM Careers

Offense-

QB - Walsh
RB - OJ
RB - Edge
WR - Playmaker
WR - Dre
TE - KW2
LT - McKinney
RT - Searcy
C - Otto
G - Romberg
G - Harrah

Defense

DE - Hendricks
DE - Rusty
DT - Brown
DT - Sapp
LB - Morgan
LB - Lewis
LB - Vilma
S - Reed
S - Taylor
S- Blades /couldn't leave him off
CB - McNeil
CB - Rolle

P - O'Donnel
K - Huerta
KR - Hester
PR- Hester

Go Canes!!!
Romberg wasn’t a guard. He won the Rimington as the best center.

Advertisement
Back