Who are your starters for a Miami all time team?

Great choice to put Walsh at QB.

*11-1 as a starter vs ranked teams. That is one half of all the games he played.
That's ridiculous. Even the one loss was total bull****.
*Averaged 30 ppg vs those ranked teams.
*23-1 overall as a starter (.958).
*2 W's vs # 1's
*2 of the greatest comebacks in Canes history on the road vs #4 FSU ('87) and Michigan ('88)
*Played the toughest schedule in Canes history (excluding some of those sick '70's schedules).
*4-0 vs uF/FSU
*'87 Natty

Forget natural talent, Heisman's, pro careers, and all that. No other Cane QB comes close to what I posted above.
Kelly/Kozar are my back-ups.
If they played on Walsh's teams they may have had similar #'s.

FIFY

Advertisement
Going strictly off UM careers:

Offense-

QB - B Kosar
RB - O Anderson
RB - E James
WR - M Irvin
WR - R Wayne
TE - J Shockey
LT - B McKinney
RT - L Searcy
C - J Otto
LG - V Carey
RG - D Harrah (who needs to be in the HOF)

Defense-

DE - T Hendricks
DE - D Stubbs
DT - J Brown
DT - W Sapp
LB - D Morgan
LB - R Lewis
LB - M Barrow
S - E Reed
S - S Taylor
CB - R McNeil
CB - A Rolle

P - L Hedley
K - C Huerta
KR - D Hester
PR - S Moss
My man!

Offense-

QB - B Kosar
RB - O Anderson
RB - E James
WR - M Irvin
WR - R Wayne
TE - J Shockey
LT - B McKinney
RT - L Searcy
C - J Otto
LG - V Carey

Defense-

DE - T Hendricks
DE - D Stubbs
DT - J Brown
DT - W Sapp
LB - D Morgan
LB - R Lewis
LB - M Barrow
S - E Reed
S - S Taylor
CB - R McNeil
CB - A Rolle

P - L Hedley
K - C Huerta
KR - D Hester
PR - S Moss
Love seeing Anderson, Otto, Harrah, and The Mad Stork on your list. Absolutely Harrah should be in the HOF.

Advertisement
Hope this isnt a repeat of a thread, but since spring practice has kicked off and everyone is discussing who starts and all that, who is your best 11 all time on offense and defense. Mine look like this: Offense can vary, spread, pro, one back etc.,

OFFENSE
QB Walsh
RB Edge
RB Willis
WR Irvin
WR Eddie Brown
TE Winslow
T McKinnie
G Romberg
C KC Jones
G Carey
T Gonzales

DEFENSE:

E Stubbs
T Jerome
T Tez
E Medaris
MLB Barrow
SLB Armstead
WLB Smith
CB McNeil
CB Buchanon
FS Reed
SS Taylor

PR K Williams
KOR Hester
K Sievers
P Headley

D
2 RBs? I don't remember Miami ever starting a game with 2 backs. Maybe the I-formation with a back and a fullback. In that case I'd go with Edgerrin and Najeh.

I'd also put in Santana over Eddie Brown, Dan Morgan over Barrow, and Shockey over Winslow (only because of gross Winslow's off the field troubles).

GO CANES!!!

There's plenty of logical debate around all of this topic but omitting Dan Morgan and Ray Lewis at LB is completely insane.

Dan Morgan is probably the best college LB to ever live.

This. I went through the list twice because I could not believe Morgan wasn't on it. Might be the best defensive player in UM history.
And to see him snubbed for a LB not named Lewis was even more absurd.

Offense-

QB - B Kosar
RB - O Anderson
RB - E James
WR - M Irvin
WR - R Wayne
TE - J Shockey
LT - B McKinney
RT - L Searcy
C - J Otto
LG - V Carey

Defense-

DE - T Hendricks
DE - D Stubbs
DT - J Brown
DT - W Sapp
LB - D Morgan
LB - R Lewis
LB - M Barrow
S - E Reed
S - S Taylor
CB - R McNeil
CB - A Rolle

P - L Hedley
K - C Huerta
KR - D Hester
PR - S Moss

Strong list.

Advertisement
2 RBs? I don't remember Miami ever starting a game with 2 backs. Maybe the I-formation with a back and a fullback. In that case I'd go with Edgerrin and Najeh.

I'd also put in Santana over Eddie Brown, Dan Morgan over Barrow, and Shockey over Winslow (only because of gross Winslow's off the field troubles).

GO CANES!!!
If there's a fullback, it's Chuck Foreman, imo.

Advertisement
How does Bennie Blades not make an all time UM team as a starter ?.. UM only Thorpe award winner as the nations best db, and 2x all American and nc... Was drafted number 3 pick overall in the 1988 draft - highest ever by a UM DB
You know **** well why. Reed and ST. Says a lot about how great those were when a guy like Blades doesn't get mentioned. There will be greats left off. Lewis or Morgan. Wilfork gets left off because or Jerome and Sapp.

Not to **** off the Big Vince guys (and I Love Vince) but I'm not completely sold on him being better than the Late Cane DT Great Lester Williams....He was National Lineman of the yr in 1981...and holds several UM records....

Advertisement
You know **** well why. Reed and ST. Says a lot about how great those were when a guy like Blades doesn't get mentioned. There will be greats left off. Lewis or Morgan. Wilfork gets left off because or Jerome and Sapp.
1A Sapp
1B Jerome
2 Tez
3 Maryland
4 Lester Williams
5 Vince....

Butch (who coached Jerome for 3 outta 4yrs at UM...and who coached Maryland in Dallas) and is the best DL coach in UM history, told me to my face on manyyyyy occasions that Sapp was the best Interior DLman he ever saw at UM.......and he Loved Jerome like nobody's business.

At least pick players from the positions they played at UM. Otto and Romberg at LG? Romberg won the Rimington award as the best Center in college football. Myers at center where he played less than five games his entire career at UM? Vilma at WLB? Taylor at striker? GTHOH
If your choice is ST sits behind Blades and Reed or plays striker, I can understand striker. I could understand him at S and one of the other two sits. But those 3 are amongst the few best Canes ever, any position.

Surprised Armistead is not on a lot of lists. He was a dominant force in the famed "Bermuda Triangle"

Advertisement
Back