Who are your starters for a Miami all time team?

Advertisement
2 RBs? I don't remember Miami ever starting a game with 2 backs. Maybe the I-formation with a back and a fullback. In that case I'd go with Edgerrin and Najeh.

I'd also put in Santana over Eddie Brown, Dan Morgan over Barrow, and Shockey over Winslow (only because of gross Winslow's off the field troubles).

GO CANES!!!
We used to play with three backs. Miami football didn’t begin in the 1980’s. The greatest fullback in UM history, when we used to run the Miami “Drive” or “Belly” series, was Don Bosseler.
Everybody on here raves about this back or that back but none of them are in the College Football Hall of Fame.

Don Bosseler is.

QB: Kelly
RB: Anderson, Edge
WR: Irvin, Johnson
TE: Franks
OT: McKinnie, Gonzalez
OG: Harrah, Carey
OC: KC Jones

DE: Stubbs, Hendricks
DT: Browne, Sapp
MLB: Lewis
OLB: Armstead, Smith
CB: Starkes, Buchanon
S: Reed, Taylor

PR: Hester
KR: Hester

PK: Davis
P: Bosher

HC: Johnson (and his staff)

We used to play with three backs. Miami football didn’t begin in the 1980’s. The greatest fullback in UM history, when we used to run the Miami “Drive” or “Belly” series, was Don Bosseler.
Everybody on here raves about this back or that back but none of them are in the College Football Hall of Fame.

Don Bosseler is.
And his number is retired, I think....

Advertisement
Butch (who coached Jerome for 3 outta 4yrs at UM...and who coached Maryland in Dallas) and is the best DL coach in UM history, told me to my face on manyyyyy occasions that Sapp was the best Interior DLman he ever saw at UM.......and he Loved Jerome like nobody's business.
Not sure Butch is best DL coach, Harold Allen might be. He taught Butch a thing or two when
he came in with Jimmy. (Hal left coaching when JJ came in, he moved up into administration but still talked to Butch about DL coaching.)

I think Butch’s experience as a DL coach was limited before he came to Miami.

Hal developed some awesome talent at UM if I’ve got my history right. All those great DLs of the seventies might have been coached by Allen: Eddie Edwards, Don Smith, Don Latimer, Lester Williams.

NOTE: I was right about Butch. He came in green as a college DL coach. He coached WR/TE under Jimmy at Oklahoma State, a school nobody’s ever heard of.

Before that, Butch was DC at several high schools. Not to say Butch didn’t become a very good DL coach very quickly but probably with good tutelage under Jimmy and Dave Wannstadt. Butch produced some excellent DLs, and of course he had some talent to work with.

Last edited:
In all fairness I think Gall turned out to be a halfway decent center. He changed our line and made us better up front CMRs first year. Never thought I’d say something like that after this pic surfaced
Would you settle for 'marginally passable'?

Advertisement
Like it.
Especially Ottis Jerome at RB.

I love Bernie but he had some real clunkers.
I'll let him slide in his first start loss vs the gator because he was a true frosh.
But Meechigan '84 (6 int's) and getting shut out by the 'Noles two weeks later at home were unforgivable.

He's third string on my list.

Yeah; I agree bro. I should’ve put Walsh as my QB. Not only should he have been an undefeated QB w/ three National Championships (Thank you Vinny & Zebras), but my man took my ‘95 Bears to the playoffs when Kramer got hurt, including upsetting Minnesota in the Wild Card game. Everyone thought that season was lost, and he came through clutch.

I put Bernie in simply b/c he started the dynasty in ‘83, but U’re right....he’s 3rd string. Nostalgia of the 1st clouded my judgment on that one.

If your choice is ST sits behind Blades and Reed or plays striker, I can understand striker. I could understand him at S and one of the other two sits. But those 3 are amongst the few best Canes ever, any position.
Personally, ST is the greatest football player I’ve ever seen. But he’s a safety; the guy is great at playing safety (in my D’Onfrio voice).

Advertisement
Not sure Butch is best DL coach, Harold Allen might be. He taught Butch a thing or two when
he came in with Jimmy. (Hal left coaching when JJ came in, he moved up into administration but still talked to Butch about DL coaching.)

I think Butch’s experience as a DL coach was limited before he came to Miami.

Hal developed some awesome talent at UM if I’ve got my history right. All those great DLs of the seventies might have been coached by Allen: Eddie Edwards, Don Smith, Don Latimer, Lester Williams.

NOTE: I was right about Butch. He came in green as a college DL coach. He coached WR/TE under Jimmy at Oklahoma State, a school nobody’s ever heard of.

Before that, Butch was DC at several high schools. Not to say Butch didn’t become a very good DL coach very quickly but probably with good tutelage under Jimmy and Dave Wannstadt. Butch produced some excellent DLs, and of course he had some talent to work with.
He became a better DL coach than Allen eventually, and he speaks highly of him....

Advertisement
No doubt. But Gall as a soph/junior wasn't better than what we have now. So there's hope!
This is very true. Gall was actually quite turrible at G, but when he went to center a light came on and we were pretty stout up the middle. I remember the NC State game when they went against 4 dudes who would be top 3 round NFL picks and we ran the ball at will. Probably the last time we've had some really good push up the middle in our OL.

Like it.
Especially Ottis Jerome at RB.

I love Bernie but he had some real clunkers.
I'll let him slide in his first start loss vs the gator because he was a true frosh.
But Meechigan '84 (6 int's) and getting shut out by the 'Noles two weeks later at home were unforgivable.

He's third string on my list.
Imagine Anderson behind some of our better offensive lines. As great a performance Edge's game against UCLA, OJ's performance against Florida in 1978 was the best I've seen. Pure will. It had to be 100 degrees on that astro turf field in November and to get 30 second half carries was unreal. Every run he had guys hanging on him. I think we threw 2 passes in the second half.

QB: Kelly
RB: Anderson, Edge
WR: Irvin, Johnson
TE: Franks
OT: McKinnie, Gonzalez
OG: Harrah, Carey
OC: KC Jones

DE: Stubbs, Hendricks
DT: Browne, Sapp
MLB: Lewis
OLB: Armstead, Smith
CB: Starkes, Buchanon
S: Reed, Taylor

PR: Hester
KR: Hester

PK: Davis
P: Bosher

HC: Johnson (and his staff)
As much as I loved Jim, I'm not sure he ever led us back in 1980 or 1981 when we were down. It was Richt against Florida in 1981. On the other hand, Walsh is my guy. It took the ***** job in South Bend to beat him. FSU in 87 and Michigan in 88 are all-time great wins.

A funner thread would be doing this list but after 2005 or so. Or in the last decade. That'd be a harder list given that we've had far less NFL talent since then.

Advertisement
Back