Who are your starters for a Miami all time team?

Advertisement
As much as I loved Jim, I'm not sure he ever led us back in 1980 or 1981 when we were down. It was Richt against Florida in 1981. On the other hand, Walsh is my guy. It took the ***** job in South Bend to beat him. FSU in 87 and Michigan in 88 are all-time great wins.
Agreed, Walsh is my 1b.

Imagine Anderson behind some of our better offensive lines. As great a performance Edge's game against UCLA, OJ's performance against Florida in 1978 was the best I've seen. Pure will. It had to be 100 degrees on that astro turf field in November and to get 30 second half carries was unreal. Every run he had guys hanging on him. I think we threw 2 passes in the second half.
And, he did it with the passing "threat" of McMillan (sp?) at QB.
Also, not many people know he had (2) 100 yard kickoff returns his senior season, which is a Miami record.

It's interesting to hear different perspectives from people spanning different generations...
Makes me thankful we have that many players from various generations to compare...

Advertisement
He became a better DL coach than Allen eventually, and he speaks highly of him....
I can't argue with that, because I wouldn't know. Allen coached a lot of great players at UM, including Ted Hendricks, which I was not sure of, but just found out. I can't argue with Butch's success. I also think for the short time he was at UM Bob Karmelowicz was a very good DL coach. He continued the success of JJ and Butch and did an excellent job with the group left, including Cortez Kennedy, Russ Maryland, Willis Peguese, Jimmie Jones and Shane Curry. Like Bob told me after that great '89 year, "our LBs never got blocked." Bob stuck around the NFL for many years. He was a highly-regarded NFL coach.

Who speaks highly of whom?

Wilfork is a 5x pro bowler, 2x super bowl champion and a 1st round pick. He should be on the list
all discussions should start and end with Jerome Brown all great DT's Sapp, Tez, Russel, Wilfork,,,,, its what they did at UM vs. pro career

It's interesting to hear different perspectives from people spanning different generations...
Makes me thankful we have that many players from various generations to compare...
Too often people tend to disregard some of the greats of years gone by. I think Don Bosseler was one of the greatest in UM history because he was dominating during the era he played. Would he be dominating now? No. You have to judge players by their era and the competition. Bosseler is not big, strong and fast enough to even play today. George Mira, who was such a superb and exciting player for his era, said himself he could not play in the late '80's, when the conversation took place. I heard him say it.

Advertisement
I can't argue with that, because I wouldn't know. Allen coached a lot of great players at UM, including Ted Hendricks, which I was not sure of, but just found out. I can't argue with Butch's success. I also think for the short time he was at UM Bob Karmelowicz was a very good DL coach. He continued the success of JJ and Butch and did an excellent job with the group left, including Cortez Kennedy, Russ Maryland, Willis Peguese, Jimmie Jones and Shane Curry. Like Bob told me after that great '89 year, "our LBs never got blocked." Bob stuck around the NFL for many years. He was a highly-regarded NFL coach.

you forget how good Shane Curry, Willie Peguese,Jimme Jones were at Miami and in the NFL,,,, tremendous tragedy with Shane Curry as well

Butch speaks VERY highly of Allen....

And, he did it with the passing "threat" of McMillan (sp?) at QB.
Also, not many people know he had (2) 100 yard kickoff returns his senior season, which is a Miami record.
Ah, Kenny McMillian. Good athlete but he was a game manager. Had a very good game against Auburn.

Advertisement
This is very true. Gall was actually quite turrible at G, but when he went to center a light came on and we were pretty stout up the middle. I remember the NC State game when they went against 4 dudes who would be top 3 round NFL picks and we ran the ball at will. Probably the last time we've had some really good push up the middle in our OL.
IMO a lot of it is he became a 5th year senior and got serious on S&C and lost half the pot belly.

For guys who aren't future pros, it matters a lot how many years you're in the program.

2 RBs? I don't remember Miami ever starting a game with 2 backs. Maybe the I-formation with a back and a fullback. In that case I'd go with Edgerrin and Najeh.

I'd also put in Santana over Eddie Brown, Dan Morgan over Barrow, and Shockey over Winslow (only because of gross Winslow's off the field troubles).

GO CANES!!!
Out of all the rbs Najeh fr lmao

Too often people tend to disregard some of the greats of years gone by. I think Don Bosseler was one of the greatest in UM history because he was dominating during the era he played. Would he be dominating now? No. You have to judge players by their era and the competition. Bosseler is not big, strong and fast enough to even play today. George Mira, who was such a superb and exciting player for his era, said himself he could not play in the late '80's, when the conversation took place. I heard him say it.
I hear ya... Every generation has "Their guys"....

Advertisement
you forget how good Shane Curry, Willie Peguese,Jimme Jones were at Miami and in the NFL,,,, tremendous tragedy with Shane Curry as well
I remember how good they were at Miami. Where did I imply otherwise. I also remember that not everyone of those players had a good pro career. Willis Peguese was not good in the NFL. He was a journeyman at best. He started five games in four years with a total of two career sacks. Shane Curry might have been on his way to a very good career but it was tragically cut short and Jimmie Jones did have a very good career. Another player on that '89 team I forgot to mention was Greg Mark who was a monster pass rusher in college but was a tweener (at best) and was misused by Bill Parcells at the NYG who tried him at nose guard.

I hear ya... Every generation has "Their guys"....
When you say "Their guys" it suggests that different generation has their "favorites," which implies it is based on attitude, and not actual performance.

You have to judge a player by their performance given the context. I have gotten into it in the comments on Youtube of some highlight films of Jim Brown. You have all these people saying Jim Brown would be so great today. Well, I'm skeptical. Look at the competition, the defenses. I see relatively small, weak, slow defensive players trying to tackle him. Somebody pointed out that the typical defensive lineman from the late '50's, early '60's, was around 230 lbs. I'll be a good number were under six feet, too. I remember the sizes of the UM teams in the early sixties. A big offensive lineman might be 235 lbs. That was very big in the era that our great George Mira played. Do you think we were stacked with WRs and DBs running typically 4.4-4.5's?

Some of our teams in the early sixties had offensive linemen under 200--I think our starting center Bob Hart was 195. He competed for a position with Bob Dental who was a big 220. I remember when some of the great Bear Bryant teams of the early '60's had DL's well under 200. But they were known for speed and fierceness.

So, when you judge who was the "greatest" all time UM players, you should consider in terms of the era. Don Bosseler was exceptional for his era. He rose above most with whom and against whom he played.

Many of today's players come in with much better physical attributes, people grow bigger, faster and stronger these days, and then they have better training, nutrition and medical care and rehabilitation. A friend who played on the very good Hurricane defenses of the mid-late '60's told me that weight training was not "compulsory", it was voluntary. A good number probably did not lift. When I was in high school, some coaches did not believe in weights because it was thought you got too tight and "muscle-bound." The latter is a word you never hear anymore.

All these arguments and differences on "who should be" just goes to show that the differences between being a starter on the Miami 1st, 2nd or 3rd ALL TIME teams are very small.

Fact is, any of those who have been mentioned are far better than the ALL TIME starters of ALMOST any other University.

The only one that would somewhat approach our 1st team IMO is USC...but they definitely wouldn't have our depth. The dropoff between their 1st and 2nd teams would be huge

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back