Where you from? / Origin of being a Canes fan

Advertisement
I'm from Miami and my parents were both alums. Mom was Summa *** Laude and dad got a doctorate.

They started taking me to Canes games when I was a young kid in the mid '60s. But my attention wandered and I wanted to walk around the Orange Bowl. Dad couldn't keep my attention on the game until he told me to watch #89 on every play. I didn't understand that. I assumed all the players were the same.

Uh, not exactly. Very quickly I was wide eyed and looking at my dad in amazement. #89 was a monster. He would stand up the ball carrier like he was toying with a younger kid, and wrestle the ball away. But so often the referees would intervene and say...nope we ruled forward progress stopped, not a fumble. Sorry Ted.

That example taught me to watch anything but the football for the rest of my life. You'll see the football anyway.

I have vague memories of games from '66 and '67 but the first season I remember in full was '68. Opening game thumping of Northwestern. David Olivo throwing a pass smack into the stomach of a VPI linebacker who raced down the right sideline before being chased down by our fleet halfback Bobby Best inside the 5 yard line. A goal line stand saved that game.

Friday night games were awesome. We loaded kids from the neighborhood into the van for those games. I anticipated them all day in school. Then afterwards we'd eat pizza at some joint like Blue Grotto.

The '70s were fun because we always had enough talent to spring an occasional huge upset or near upset of a top team. Great defensive tackles year after year along with skill position stars like Chuck Foreman and O.J. Anderson, who was an absolute freak. Don't make the mistake of defining the '70s via record only. We were getting close. Fortunately Schnellenberger recognized that and took the job.

When I went away to school at USC my friends frequently kidded me about wearing University of Miami stuff. The football team was mocked. That ceased and reversed when I was a senior.

Now neither fan base fully accepts me because I'll never be a cheerleader type and I'll never give away allegiance to either Miami or USC. Heck, the teams haven't played since 1968. Not exactly an annual conflict. I remember listening to that '68 game on the radio while walking around outside our home late at night. Reception was better out there. Game was not televised locally in Miami. USC won 28-3 while mostly running away from that #89 .

I’m from coral gables. Was going to the orange bowl since before I could remember stuff. I would have loved to be a student, but I wanted to play college football and had to settle for the D3 level.

From Adelaide, South Australia. Back in the early 2000's the only time football was on was the superbowl, i had never even heard of college football. But now, i get up somewhere between 1am and 11am on sunday mornings to watch the canes play. Everything about the sport is self taught and I love it.

I was raised in Tampa. Living in Los Angeles since Dec 26, 1984. I was a Canes and FSU fan in the late 70s. Too young to understand how wrong that was. Family was all Gator. I learned.

Became a full-time Canes fan in 1981, watching Jim Kelly lead a 17-14 upset over #1 Penn State at the OB.

I have watched most of the glory from across country. I've attended two Miami games live; the 1990 30-28 win over San Diego State, famous for a bench clearing brawl that included Dwayne 'the Rock' Johnson chasing the Aztec mascot into the stands, and 2001 Rose Bowl NC Championship rout over Nebraska.

Advertisement
Canada, in south west Ontario. When I was an infant my grandfather bought me Canes PJ's on a trip to Florida. Miami has been my school ever since, doesn't hurt that I really started watching football around 2000-2001. My Saturdays are now booked based on when Miami plays.

Born in Cuba, grew up in Miami(Jackson 68). Living in Houston Tx. Fan since George Mira years, visit once or twice a year. So great the U is back!!

My old man is from Cuba and was class of 67 at Jackson High

Que bien Brother, glad to see there are some Jackson Generals on CIS. As we used to say; De Pinga el Caso.

I went to Columbus lol. My old man wasn't sending me to Jackson haha.

[MENTION=1458]De Pinga[/MENTION], what year did you graduate columbus?

Born in Doctor's Hospital on the U campus.
Mom and Dad both U graduates and U Law School graduates.
Dad member of U Faculty and U Administration for 40 years
Attended 1st game at OB in 58.
1st game I remember was Pitt in '60 in a heavy downpour in OB.
Went to most home games in 60s & 70s
Moved out of state in 70s but Canes still my #1 team
Have relatives on faculty at the U and try to attend 1 or 2 games a year

****, you're older than [MENTION=1268]gordonsolie[/MENTION]

Born in Jersey moved to Miami at 7, been a canes fan ever since. Season ticket holder for about 10 years, and current Grad student (second grad degree promise im done after this).

Advertisement
Cane since the '02 Championship Game. Originally from Guam. Started watching college football in '99 due to Mike Vick. Didn't really care other than him. Back in Guam, primetime games showed around 9/10am, but in the following day. So if a game was on at Monday 6pm, US Mainland...it would be 9am Tuesday Morning.

Big sports nut, so my dad let me skip HS for the '01 ship since we rarely got good games televised at the time. Didn't know much about Miami or Nebraska, just that Miami got screwed the year before. Normally root for underdogs, so I thought that the Canes were the 'dogs due to the stands being flooded in red.

Game starts. Game Over. Cane 'til I die.

Last edited:
From Adelaide, South Australia. Back in the early 2000's the only time football was on was the superbowl, i had never even heard of college football. But now, i get up somewhere between 1am and 11am on sunday mornings to watch the canes play. Everything about the sport is self taught and I love it.

That's awesome

How did you come across the Canes?

I'm from Lighthouse Point, Fl.

Graduated the University of Miami in 2000. I didn't even like football before attending school. In all honesty, I think it was after we beat the Gators in 2000. Then, I bought a copy of EA Sports NCAA Football in Aug of 2001. From then on, I felt like I was part of something bigger than just the school I went to.

Is Dan Witt Park still a park? Played many games of basketball on those courts.

Advertisement
I'm from Miami and my parents were both alums. Mom was Summa *** Laude and dad got a doctorate.

They started taking me to Canes games when I was a young kid in the mid '60s. But my attention wandered and I wanted to walk around the Orange Bowl. Dad couldn't keep my attention on the game until he told me to watch #89 on every play. I didn't understand that. I assumed all the players were the same.

Uh, not exactly. Very quickly I was wide eyed and looking at my dad in amazement. #89 was a monster. He would stand up the ball carrier like he was toying with a younger kid, and wrestle the ball away. But so often the referees would intervene and say...nope we ruled forward progress stopped, not a fumble. Sorry Ted.

That example taught me to watch anything but the football for the rest of my life. You'll see the football anyway.

I have vague memories of games from '66 and '67 but the first season I remember in full was '68. Opening game thumping of Northwestern. David Olivo throwing a pass smack into the stomach of a VPI linebacker who raced down the right sideline before being chased down by our fleet halfback Bobby Best inside the 5 yard line. A goal line stand saved that game.

Friday night games were awesome. We loaded kids from the neighborhood into the van for those games. I anticipated them all day in school. Then afterwards we'd eat pizza at some joint like Blue Grotto.

The '70s were fun because we always had enough talent to spring an occasional huge upset or near upset of a top team. Great defensive tackles year after year along with skill position stars like Chuck Foreman and O.J. Anderson, who was an absolute freak. Don't make the mistake of defining the '70s via record only. We were getting close. Fortunately Schnellenberger recognized that and took the job.

When I went away to school at USC my friends frequently kidded me about wearing University of Miami stuff. The football team was mocked. That ceased and reversed when I was a senior.

Now neither fan base fully accepts me because I'll never be a cheerleader type and I'll never give away allegiance to either Miami or USC. Heck, the teams haven't played since 1968. Not exactly an annual conflict. I remember listening to that '68 game on the radio while walking around outside our home late at night. Reception was better out there. Game was not televised locally in Miami. USC won 28-3 while mostly running away from that #89 .

A home-away series with USC would be interesting.

Born in Dade.

Attended my first game at the OB on a Friday night in '55. We beat Bama. They sucked back then.

Advertisement
Born and raised halfway between Punta Gorda and Moore Haven. Mostly swamp.in the middle of no where. Attended my first game at Burdine stadium (officially renamed Orange bowl in 1959). That first game was 1949 watching Canes beat the gators in Andy Gustafons second year. Family was dirt poor and joined Navy. Served as a crew member flying in helos 26 years..Retired as a master chief. Always remained loyal to the Canes. Used to post a lot when message boards first started

Born in Queens, NY, but lived nearly my entire life in Coral Gables and thereabouts. Spent my childhood biking or skateboarding to the Student Union to bowl, play video games, table tennis, and shoot pool.

My father graduated from their business school. My mother graduated from UM and was an employee for many years. My uncle graduated from U Med School and my aunt from their Law School.

Been a Canes fan for as long as I can remember, dating back to the Schnellinberger years. It's all I know.

Born and raised Alberta, Canada. Reside in Calgary, Alberta now and work as an instructor at a College. Got some interest from the 'U' back in 1980 but stayed here at home. Been a fan ever since.

Advertisement
Back