Where you from? / Origin of being a Canes fan

Went to one of the Band Days ('83 or '84 I think) and participated in the halftime show. Been a fan ever since.

Advertisement
From West New York, New Jersey. left there for Miami as a kid in 1965 just as Hurricane Betsy hit. Lived close to campus by Duffy's Tavern, one of the first bars I went into on Red Road. Frequented the Blue Grotto Pizza place after games. Became a Canes fan in 1975 and a OB season ticket holder in 82 for 22 years. Kids went to UM and UF and FIU. I love college football and bleed orange and green.
However, I can't stand the Dolphins... like Dallas and Ravens.

Born in a place called Pahokee, FL. Home of the muck boys.

Was originally a Gator fan until I was nine, until my stepfather (a diehard Canes fan) told me Miami was closer to home than Gainesville, and proceeded to tell me about the 'Canes legacy.

My first game I watched all the way through was Miami vs. FSU in '97 when they beat us 47-0.

Yes the Al Golden years were tough, but I still think they don't hold a candle to the Probation years.

Wanted to go to Miami, but could not afford it. Walked on as a 6'4 Power Forward at a JUCO in central Florida. Stopped playing B-Ball because I liked training mixed martial arts better.

Became a paramedic in Miami-Dade for a few years. Worked mainly in Liberty City. After the economy ground to a halt, I bounced around for some years and now currently a Professional Truck Driver.

Last edited:
Born in Miami.

Grew up in Miami.

Watched the Canes all my life.

Mom went to Miami for undergrad (class of '76)

Older sister went to Miami undergrad (1999-2002)

Older sister went to Medical school at Miami (2002-2006), now works at Jackson.

I went to undergrad at Miami (2003-2007)

I stayed for Law School at Miami. (2007-2010)

Younger sister went to Miami. (2010-2014)

I now have a tutoring office across the street from University of Miami as my day job (as well as another business that I run).

So yeah, my house is about as orange and green as it gets.

From Central Pa. 50 miles from Penn State. Went to an Ivy League school and hated PSU where my buddies all went, but I went to the games and cheered against them. One game a team I never saw came into State College and threw the ball all over the place. They killed the Nittany Pussies and I said that's the team for me. It was Jim Kelly's first start at QB. Cane fan ever since and after moving to Florida, a long time season ticket holder.
BTW I started hearing about Sandusky in the early 90's. The Weasal (Paterno) was a total fraud.

Advertisement
Made in Dade.
Born in Doctor's Hospital on campus.
First game was FSU/UM in '83 in the Doak.
Davis pretty much kicked it into my lap at the end.
17-16 good guys...

Born in Albu-TRASH-que.

And dad was an Air Force career man. So I grew up state side, and Germany, and England.

During my ' immature, foolish ' adult years, I existed in Omaha, Syracuse, Tucson and Albuquerque.

I've been a Miami, Florida Hurricane fan ever since I PREDICTED Miami would take down an INVINCIBLE Herbie Cornhusker team. That was back in the day. hUh.

Born and Raised in Central Florida area. My dad and uncle were raised down in Hialeah so it was passed down from them...My first memories of watching them were around 12-13 yrs old which would be the 1999-2000 season. I live in North Florida now but still try catch at least one game in person every year. Haven't missed watching a Canes game in many many years.

Advertisement
From Central Pa. 50 miles from Penn State. Went to an Ivy League school and hated PSU where my buddies all went, but I went to the games and cheered against them. One game a team I never saw came into State College and threw the ball all over the place. They killed the Nittany Pussies and I said that's the team for me. It was Jim Kelly's first start at QB. Cane fan ever since and after moving to Florida, a long time season ticket holder.
BTW I started hearing about Sandusky in the early 90's. The Weasal (Paterno) was a total fraud.

From Harrisburg PA, Still here. Been a cans fan since I started watching football. Dad grabbed me up when I started liking peter Warrick to much and beat some sense into me.

hahah

Born in the heart of Mississippi. I saw Miami on TV once and it was love at first sight. I don't know why.

Advertisement
Born & raised in Kansas. Started following Canes at the age of 14 during Jim Kelly's last year. Fell in love with their style of play and cool uniforms. I liked their passing style as opposed to the boring wishbone & option of teams (OU & Neb.) in my area. I have got to see them play the last times they played at OU & Neb. Got to see one game at the old OB and what a game it was -- Wide Right III.

Born in the heart of Mississippi. I saw Miami on TV once and it was love at first sight. I don't know why.

I can only figure you're from around the Jackson area?? I'm from South Mississippi, down near Waveland and Picayune.

Born in Cuba, grew up in Miami(Jackson 68). Living in Houston Tx. Fan since George Mira years, visit once or twice a year. So great the U is back!!

My old man is from Cuba and was class of 67 at Jackson High

Que bien Brother, glad to see there are some Jackson Generals on CIS. As we used to say; De Pinga el Caso.

I went to Columbus lol. My old man wasn't sending me to Jackson haha.

Advertisement
Born in Cuba, grew up in Miami(Jackson 68). Living in Houston Tx. Fan since George Mira years, visit once or twice a year. So great the U is back!!

My old man is from Cuba and was class of 67 at Jackson High

Que bien Brother, glad to see there are some Jackson Generals on CIS. As we used to say; De Pinga el Caso.

I went to Columbus lol. My old man wasn't sending me to Jackson haha.

[MENTION=1458]De Pinga[/MENTION], what year did you graduate columbus?

Last edited:
Grew up and still live in North NJ. My brother was a fan but didn't push it on me. First game I really sat down and watched was the '88 game against ND. I watched it in the hospital where my grandmother was at. I was hooked then. Have been to countless games since.

Don't get to travel nearly as much as I'd like to see them now, but admit I was spoiled when they were in the Big East and I could go to between 3-4 games every year within easy driving distance for me.

Born in Doctor's Hospital on the U campus.
Mom and Dad both U graduates and U Law School graduates.
Dad member of U Faculty and U Administration for 40 years
Attended 1st game at OB in 58.
1st game I remember was Pitt in '60 in a heavy downpour in OB.
Went to most home games in 60s & 70s
Moved out of state in 70s but Canes still my #1 team
Have relatives on faculty at the U and try to attend 1 or 2 games a year

Advertisement
Back