Where you from? / Origin of being a Canes fan

Born in the big apple, only stayed there for one week before parents moved to Miami. Raised all my life in the city of Miami.

Advertisement
Born in the Netherlands, near Amsterdam. In 2001 when I was 7, I moved with my mom to Ft. Lauderdale to live with her bf. He'd been a Canes fan since the 80's. During the first year I was in America, Canes won the natty, I went to Canes fest, etc. and it's history from there. I moved away in 2006, but those few years stuck with me even though I didn't go to school there. Now, my goal is to go back for an MBA in the next few years and be a part of Miami again.

Edit: I lived in Sunrise. For school I would have gone to Piper, but IMG was also really close to me.

Last edited:
Moved to FL for college, then had to decide between UM and UF for grad school. It wasn't a tough decision to choose between this

1786-University_of_Miami.jpg

and this

[video=youtube;I_K8xyJANdE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_K8xyJANdE[/video]

Went to every game while I was at UM and go to at least 1 home game and 1 away game now that I live near most coastal schools.

Advertisement
Born in the Netherlands, near Amsterdam. In 2001 when I was 7, I moved with my mom to Ft. Lauderdale to live with her bf. He'd been a Canes fan since the 80's. During the first year I was in America, Canes won the natty, I went to Canes fest, etc. and it's history from there. I moved away in 2006, but those few years stuck with me even though I didn't go to school there. Now, my goal is to go back for an MBA in the next few years and be a part of Miami again.

AYYYYYYY...another Dutchman. I was born in Suriname but have mad family in Holland. mainly rotterdam

Born in Detroit, moved to Miami at 12. First Miami game was the 2001 matchup against Cuse. Was deciding between Newhouse and UM School of Comm at the time.

59 points later, I was a Cane.

Grew up in Miami. Brother went to UM and had classes with Jim Kelly. He said Kelly didn't show up that often. haha

Brother was a member of ZBT Fraternity and I spent my fare share of time at the campus with him when I was a kid. Been a season ticket holder for canes and Phins for 38 years. I unfortunately had to go to Miami Dade because my grades sucked.

Advertisement
Spent most of my life in NJ, now in NY. Used to visit grandparents in Fort Lauderdale growing up. Remember attending one of the games as a kid with my dad and while walking towards the OB the band was directly behind us and one of the band members put his hat on my head, such a great moment. Grew up watching them and that passion for watching the Canes only intensified. To me it's more than just a game, people don't get it, it's a Cane thing!

Born at Mercy Hospital overlooking the great Biscayne Bay, just a few short miles from the late great OB. 1977. It’s been a charmed life.

MIAMIAN BY BIRTH, MIAMI HURRICANE BY THE GRACE OF GOD.

Mercy Hospital Mafia. Same for me but 1992. My step dad who raised me, and I call my dad today, showed them to me during the 2001 season. Mannnnnnnn never once did I consider anything else after that. First he introduced me to them, then he taught me to never like the other 2. Got to enjoy that ND game with him this year. Going to charlotte with him tomorrow, and Ive spoken to my mom about gifts for Christmas- shes getting him the flight to NOLA I'm getting him the sugar bowl ticket. Plan on bringing him to the ATL too.

Born in Northshore medical across from Central High... grew up in North Miami. Moved around through School to Pensacola and East Atlanta. Made my way back after highschool and have been here ever since. Currently living in Coconut Grove.

Family has been season ticket holders since the 80’s and me personally since 2009..

Born and raised in Miami Beach and grew up going to games in the 70's and 80's. We had season tickets each year. I attended the 83, 87 and 2001 team Championship games. Both parents are UM alumns. I attended college and grad schools with no football teams and always kept my allegiance to Miami.

Last edited:
Grew up in Miami. Brother went to UM and had classes with Jim Kelly. He said Kelly didn't show up that often. haha

Brother was a member of ZBT Fraternity and I spent my fare share of time at the campus with him when I was a kid. Been a season ticket holder for canes and Phins for 38 years. I unfortunately had to go to Miami Dade because my grades sucked.

My Dad was ZBT at the U. One of his fraternity brothers was Skip Bertman.

Advertisement
Born in Miami (1986)
Raised in Tallahassee (Yeah I know)
US Army Vet
Now Living in New Jersey

born in 3-0-5, still here. Lived in Htown for a couple of years and out of the country but i had to return to da bottom! No place like it...

I was conceived from Tom Osborne's tears immediately following Kenny Calhoun's pass breakup in the 1984 Orange Bowl.

Advertisement
Born in Kingston, Jamaica. Raised mostly in Miramar/Pembroke Pines and now raising my own family in Miramar.

Die hard Dolphins, Heat, Canes, and ****nal fan. Casual Marlins and Panthers fan (not a big fan of baseball/hockey).

Grew up in Hialeah - Miami Springs.

Used to go to Canes baseball games as a kid. Ron Fraser was a larger than life figure when I was a young child. Became a Canes football fan because of that.

When I was a freshman in HS, the Canes recruited a kid from my neighborhood (Jack Fernandez). I became a die-hard fan after that.

Born in Cuba, came here when i was 6. Raised in the 305 though, I remember my uncles old house who had a cane cave in one of the rooms. Went to Palmetto High graduated, went to Miami Dade because of grades then transferred out after two years to the one and only U!

Portland TN and living in TN I hate the Vols and there fans so when they played in the Sugar bowl after the 85 season I pulled for the Canes and have been a diehard fan ever since.

Advertisement
Back