Where you from? / Origin of being a Canes fan

Palm Beach , my grandfather played on one of the first teams in 1926

(Hugh Kavney was his name)

Last edited:
Advertisement
Grew up near campus. Was there often with my dad. Earliest memories are watching The Stork devour qbs in the late 60's. Thanks to a good pops and a passion for football, I went to a bunch of practices on campus in the late 60's & 70's and absolutely fell in love with The U. Loved the many games I saw in the OB. I don't post much, but I follow y'all regularly on CIS. Hoping to win the ACC tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Proud of our players and coaches (and fans this year).

Hi, 1st post...............TOS transplant

Born and raised in Massachusetts, graduated HS in the 80's. In this area at that time, they followed 2 College Football teams, The Fighting Irish and BC Eagles. Since I hated both, I followed the bad *** team that played both of them. Been a fan ever since

Advertisement
Grew up in Cutler Ridge (Not Cutler Bay), now living in AZ. First memory of the Canes was watching them demolish Nebraska for the championship in '91 as a 9 year old. Really got hooked when we had to live in a trailer in our front yard after Andrew, because our house was destroyed and all we had to cheer for was that '92 season. I still remember my old man stomping around that trailer during the Sugar Bowl against Bama. That, I believe, is where my anger during games comes from. I remember my old man pretty much grounding me when the Canes lost because he would be so ****ed off. Fun times!

Born in WPB in 72 to a family of Canes fans who had been going down to games since the late 40's. Back in the day they would drive down US-1, and spend the weekend in Miami with extended family that lived down there and go to Canes games and visit the Venetian Pools.

Born in Jersey
Moved to Boca in '78 at age 7
Dad got season tickets starting in 1984......had them ever since.

Advertisement
Born and live in TN
No one in my family watched college football (dad and I are saints fans)
Dad showed me 30 for 30. Young me (13ish at the time) thought they were the most badass team ever
Watched for roughly 7-8 years now, never got to see them good until now

Lived in a few spots in palm beach county, boynton, lake worth, and boca but moved to toledo for grad school and now live in cincinnati. Parents live in miami and my dad works for UM so try to go back as much as possible and can hopefully move back soon cuz ohio sucks d!ck

Born and raised in Key West.Grew up around the Mira’s and lived across the street from Harold Allen who coached at Miami in the 60’s.

Had many friends that played for the U.Been a Cane fan since 1958

Advertisement
From South Jersey, older cousins played with McKinnie in HS, followed Miami ever since

Dallas, TX!!!
Fan since the beginning of the 80's. Got hooked and never looked back.
Something about that orange and green and seeing a bunch of guys that I could relate too.
I rep the 305 like I'm from there. Go Canes!

Tampa. I had a teammate that was being recruited by Miami and they sent him a poster of Ottis Anderson and he didn’t want it so he gave it to me and I put it up in my bedroom in 1978. Mid 80’s after I grad USF became really good friends with Kenny Calhoun and would attend games on the sidelines at the OB. So I’ve been a cane since 78

Advertisement
Born in Hollywood, FL . Raised in Pembroke Pines. Currently residing back in Hollywood. If you grew up in south Florida in the 80's and didn't love the Hurricanes, there was something wrong with you. My mom used to buy the old "family plan" west endzone tickets at the Orange Bowl and took my sister and I to pretty much every home game from 90-97 (when I finished high school and moved to Orlando). Moved back home in 2001 and have had season tickets every year since.

NW Florida originally. Saw my first Cane game in 1981 on my grandmothers small black and white TV. I could hardly make out what was on TV, and didn't understand why the Dolphins were playing on a Saturday. Then the reception got better and I saw the U on Jim Kelly's helmet. He then got hurt and the backup QB came in and did just enough to beat the Gators. That QB was Mark Richt. Been hooked since.

Born in Fort Lauderdale, lived in plantation. Been going to canes game since I was 4 years old when my grandfather would take me to every home game! Now reside in Melbourne! Never really truly understood what I was witnessing during the 80s until I got a little older and realized how bad *** we truly were!!!

Hoping to see a little piece of history again this Saturday in Charlotte!

Myself as well as 4 of my boys will be there repping to the fullest!!!

Last edited:
Born n' raised on the streets Coral Gables. It was a rough upbringing.

Grew up going to the Student Union arcade, bowling alley, pool hall, swimming pool, summer camps.

Recently moved back near campus and feel like a kid again.

Advertisement
Back