Where you from? / Origin of being a Canes fan

Advertisement
Born in Coral Gables, raised in Westchester area (about 10 mins from campus). My Dad took me to my first UM game in the OB. Used to go to the games in the 70's with friends of mine. The OB would be so empty we would pay 5.00 for endzone seats and by middle of the 1st we would be sitting on the 50.

No matter how many bad teams we saw back then ( and we saw a bunch) we were devoted. Did get to see us beat #1 Texas with Pete Elliot as our coach.

I've never known anything else but being a CANES FAN

Miami born, Hollywood raised, living in Jacksonville. First game in person Danny Miller made a long fg to beat the Gator in 81.

Started at Miami in 1985, coming from Lilburn, GA. First game I saw, they lost to Florida, then the streak started.

Born and raised in Key West.

We had season tickets at the OB back in the late 80's until they moved north. I can still remember parking in someone's yard, off of NW17th Ct. You never knew how long you would have to wait to leave, because someone else had you blocked in. That is why we always had a cooler.

We are on our 2nd year of season tickets, supporting the Mark Richt era!

Advertisement
West Palm Beach, Fl

Started getting into football in 96' and grew up in a Pro Miami house. So I rooted for all things miami (except the dolphins, buccaneers fan)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Born in Habana, Cuba....came to Miami at 10 years of age....played for Miami High (graduated in '67 - natl champs '65)...law school graduate UM.

Born in N. Miami, raised in Kendall playing baseball at Suniland. My dad took me to Canes baseball and football, Dolphins games, and Orioles spring training games starting in the 70's. Those are my sports teams but I've been considering dropping the Dolphins.

Born and raised in Marietta, GA (suburb of ATL). Back in the early 80's, only one game was on TV every Saturday. At that time, it was either the U, Choklahoma or Notre Lame. My mom was from the Oklahoma and a huge fan of them. So being the pain in the *** kid that I was, it was natural to be a Cane. Also, my first girlfriend was from Miami and she could really lay it down, so yeah.

Advertisement
Born, raised, and still live in south central PA, but the Penn State fans always rubbed me the wrong way. That 87 Fiesta Bowl with the crew walking off the plane in fatigues made my jaw drop. Knew where I wanted to go to college ever since that night.

Proud alum from Class of 94 (same freshman class as The Rock...some day I'll scan his photo in from the freshman lookbook...it's hilarious).

Raised in southwest Dade (Kendall) in 70s and 80s. Navy brought me to Virgina. Try to get back to Miami whenever I can.

Raised in Kendall, dad ushered at the Friday night games, first game in 1957, beat Baylor that night. Canes fan ever since, have passed that heritage on and son actually covered the Canes as a writer at Greentree and in the pressbox for one season. My dad may he RIP would have been amazed and proud that he did that for the U. Dad played for Jackson High. Me Palmetto Sr. 67!

Advertisement
Jersey... Exit 11/ GSP 132 (its a Jersey thing)

Been a canes since '83 at age 11 when they won the 1st ship...
during HS, made some of the same all county teams as Bryan Fortay..he was a year older though, and I was Jealous of his UM offer.
So we went down to Miami unofficially after sending in Tapes and got invited as a walk on because I basically begged (guess they needed warm bodies)... but I knew we couldn't afford it but maybe my Parents would give it a shot - but nope (could've had 2 rings). Plus I had Yankee Conf scholarships to fall back on.. Ended up playing for Kirk Ferentz at Maine (while openly rooting Miami every week). SIDE NOTE: Teammate of John Hevesy- Gators OL Coach - who is a ****... well at least back then he was.

JC

I was born and spent 25 years of my life in Sterling Hts Michigan, moved to SFLa in 2005 and now have been living in Orlando for 3 years.

I actually won a bet with my uncle when I was 8 (1988), he bet me a quarter that the team in the Red (Arkansas) would win and I got the white (Canes). I won the bet got my money bought 25 pieces of candy and ever since then loved the team with the U on the helmet. Really started watching games in 1991, and haven't missed many since.

Born on Long Island, family moved to Miami when I was 4. First exposure to Cane athletics was going to Mark Light in the 70s, went to my first football game in '79, been a Cane fan ever since. Live in Atlanta now, still try to make at least one game a year, went to the ND game and I'm headed to Charlotte in the morning.

Advertisement
Born and raised in Miami. Lived a couple blocks from the school most of my life. Used to walk to the Light to watch baseball games, would always be at football practices and had the fortune of having a house on a street where I would see JJ and his staff jog by my house every day. Been living in DC area for the past 15 or so years.

Born and raised in East Tennessee. My cousin lives in Knoxville and has been a UT season ticket holder for 30+ years so I went to a lot of their games as a child. For some reason I knew I always hated them and their fans (I LOVE what is happening now to them). It is a long story but the concession stand ignored me and would not sell me ice cream in a helmet until an Auburn fan yelled at them for it. Anyway, I loved football and needed a team so we were school shopping for me to start 3rd grade and I saw a hat with Sebastian and my older brother told me they were really good. Made my parents buy me the hat and a few weeks later watched them destroy Florida to open the 1987 season. I have been all in ever since.

Fast forward a few years a friend from school, whose dad was my 8th grade teacher, told me his cousin from Denver was being recruited by Miami. When he came to visit for the holidays they invited me over and I met and became friends with Ryan Clement. So I have been lucky enough to get an inside look at the program even if it was a few roller coaster years I loved every minute of it. I still live in the mountains of East Tennessee but have managed to make 3-4 games every year since 1994.

P.S. This will show as my second post but I have been a member here for a while I forgot my other log in and kept getting locked out so I just made a new one. I mostly lurked anyway would have has a few hundred posts. Name was cravincane not that anyone would remember me.

Born in Jamaica queens NY moved to ft.Lauderdale at 8 years old, growing up all my brothers and friends where all uf and fsu fans this was around the fred taylor era I was in the 3rd grade. I first started following miami because I liked there colors then I started doing my homework learning the roster then we got off probation and started balling and I never looked back ever since. I played college football d1 level and still followed the canes like i do now. I think if you followed the canes from 03-2015 you a real cane.

Advertisement
Back