Where you from? / Origin of being a Canes fan

ajsgolf

Recruit
Spent most of my life in NJ, now in NY. Used to visit grandparents in Fort Lauderdale growing up. Remember attending one of the games as a kid with my dad and while walking towards the OB the band was directly behind us and one of the band members put his hat on my head, such a great moment. Grew up watching them and that passion for watching the Canes only intensified. To me it's more than just a game, people don't get it, it's a Cane thing!

Advertisement
From NJ as well.

Several of my family members who I grew up idolizing went to Miami and were true Canes and die hard fans.

Wanted to be just like them and I can’t remember a time in my life where I wasn’t repping the orange and green.

When my favorite NFL team traded away my favorite Cane, Santana Moss, I was devastated and shed some tears that day as a young fan.

NJ here - first college game I ever saw was the '87 Fiesta Bowl. I was 9 years old and couldn't believe a team would come out like that in ARMY FATIGUES. That's it. I was a wrap for me.

Advertisement
Born and raised in Lakeland. Living in Tampa. I’ve been a fan since Miami beat Fsu in the 87 opener.

Advertisement
From SC, became a fan of the Canes in 83 at the age of 6, which was my sister’s senior year at UM. Was a die-hard ever since.

Raised in southwest Dade (Kendall) in 70s and 80s. Navy brought me to Virgina. Try to get back to Miami whenever I can.

Panama City Beach. Parents born and raised in South Miami moved due to military.

Born and raised in Rhode Island. Played tennis for the Canes in the mid-90s. Wife did her med school there. Now in Nashville but visiting the 305 in February

Advertisement
Minnesota native here. First football game I ever watched as a kid and haven't missed a game since

Panama City Beach

Dude... I envy you.
I have a dream... wish that U of M would sell the Coral Gables campus and for the $$$ buy another campus somewhere in PCity or Destin, and build the finest on campus stadium.... then have all Canes fans move up there.

Grew up mostly in Coral Springs. Became a Cane fan in 1991 when my Dad brokered a deal to get the company he worked for some advertising on the scoreboard at the OB. Obviously, the Canes won it all that year, and the guys affiliated with the school who he did the deal with gave him this bad *** ring, which to a young kid was the most amazing thing ever. Been a fan ever since.

ring.jpg

Advertisement
Born in Carol Gables. Grew up in Dade. Attended games in OB, canes and then fins when they started. Alum of Sun Tan U. My heart has never known any other team. American by birth, Southern by the Grace of God, Cane by absolute devotion.

Of all the things special about being a Cane the best is the pure Americana of it. No fan based is as diverse as ours, by state, region, Faith, race, politics and origin. I can fight with Canes here bout nothing, and we do, but any fight can end with simple statement of support for the team.(well except for those not actually Canes). I love being a Miami Hurricane.

NJ, It sounds silly but when I was a kid I was a huge wrestling fan, and one of my favorites was The Rock I saw pictures of him in a magazine standing next to Sebastian when he was a player at the university, I have been a huge fan since.

Born and raised in NJ
Became a Canes fan in 1963
Cane alumnus
US Navy veteran
Now living in Sarasota

Advertisement
Back