Where you from? / Origin of being a Canes fan

From my profile info...

Became a 'Canes fan in 1980 due to an Uncle who lived in Miami and constantly provided me with schwag. I have lived and died by the football and basketball (since '85) programs since then.

Years after receiving my undergrad from a school in Upstate NY...I was fortunate enough to attend Grad School at the U!

Advertisement
Born in Minnesota. Moved to South Miami at age 5 in 1969. First Canes game was a yawner vs Syracuse in 1971. Didn't matter. Loved them anyways, particularly the running style of Chuck Foreman. Been a fan ever since.

Last edited:
From Adelaide, South Australia. Back in the early 2000's the only time football was on was the superbowl, i had never even heard of college football. But now, i get up somewhere between 1am and 11am on sunday mornings to watch the canes play. Everything about the sport is self taught and I love it.

How did you come across the Canes?

I remember buying Madden one year and enjoyed the sport so much I thought I would follow it. So I picked a teams and I loved the bucs. And who was planted at DT, number 99. Then I started looking into college and found the canes. To the point where In 2015 me and a mate bought a van and did a college football tour of the states. Saw 10 games. Saw lsu, ole miss, Miami vs FSU, ok state, bama, Stanford, Oregon, Arizona state. And some others. It was the best trip I have ever done.

South Carolina

Grew up in Gamecock house. Pulled for Clemson. Small undergrad but always watched Canes.

Canes grad school 2000-2003. Never looked back

In Tallahassee now. I have added a strut to my walk this season

giphy.gif

/EDIT. Bro in law taking nephew up to Charlotte for First Canes game. They’re primary gamecocks secondary Canes

Last edited:
Advertisement
My kid, and a bunch of my money, went there from California. I was rooting for him and learned to appreciate the swagger.

Love flying out for games even though he graduated; just did ND game

Born in Gainesville, FL (UGH), raised in Jacksonville, went to the U. Late husband played for the U from 1957-61. Have lived in Daytona over 50 years & will be 80 in a couple of months and still love the 'Canes.

From Adelaide, South Australia. Back in the early 2000's the only time football was on was the superbowl, i had never even heard of college football. But now, i get up somewhere between 1am and 11am on sunday mornings to watch the canes play. Everything about the sport is self taught and I love it.

I remember buying Madden one year and enjoyed the sport so much I thought I would follow it. So I picked a teams and I loved the bucs. And who was planted at DT, number 99. Then I started looking into college and found the canes. To the point where In 2015 me and a mate bought a van and did a college football tour of the states. Saw 10 games. Saw lsu, ole miss, Miami vs FSU, ok state, bama, Stanford, Oregon, Arizona state. And some others. It was the best trip I have ever done.

Nice. You went to the games? How was that?

Advertisement
UM Architecture grad 81 .......been blessed with the cane nation since then . Love my Canes for Life!!!
My roof in Pembroke Pines since 01

As a kid I flip flopped with NFL teams. Started with the Raiders (Mainly Bo Jackson), then Redskins, lastly Dolphins (past 20 years). Grew up in Western PA and only liked 1 college team and thats the Canes. Ever since I can remember watching College I loved the Canes. Funny thing is my best friend since we we're 8 also loves the Canes and fins. Got dialed in around 7 years old and that was when bama beat us in the Championship. Still can remember george teague cahsing down Lamar :culpability:

Born and raised in SW Miami/Kendall. Cane from birth. Both parents are UM grads.

Dad raised me on UM football and I can't remember a time when I wasn't rooting for the Canes. I went to App St for undergrad (long story involving the FL Prepaid College Plan) and of course love my alma mater, but nothing comes close to Canes football for me. My newborn daughter sat in my arms wearing a Canes onesie while we watched the first Canes game with CMR leading the charge last year. Still can't say "Go Canes" yet, but we're working on it.

Advertisement

Nice. You went to the games? How was that?

Yeah, was amazing. We ran into so many guys that were so jealous. Asu party hard, the grove in oxford was awesome. Ppl gave us drinks, houses, food, their daughters. We ended up in hospital, jail and a whole bunch of other random places...it was amazing. We ended up in corporate suites, press conferences and got out on the field after games. I have travelled a fair bit and Americans havent got the best reputation (neither have aussies tho) But it couldn’t be more wrong. You guys are the nicest ppl ever. I can’t wait to get back. Hopefully sometime soon, and hopefully to see the canes at the rock. I’ll be drinking at 9 am tomorrow, ready to see something I have never seen...the U in contention

Born in Hialeah to parents who used to live in NY.
When I was a young boy my grandparents got me a shirt with Sebastian and his giant pipe on it. The rest is history. Living in South Florida in the 80'/90's compelled me to be a Canes fan. No other choice really.

Born and raised in southern Vermont. Still here. My grandparents moved to winter haven (late 80’s) and bought me and my two brothers college stuff. One UF, one FSU and me UM stuff. As most of you know pro sports is what’s big in the north east. I’m one of very few college football fans I know. Have actually never been to a game even. Going to BC next year for my first game! Found canestime probably around ‘02 maybe as late as ‘04. Obviously that ran it’s course and ended up here.

Advertisement
from pittsburgh(mckeesport)...cane fan since 86 when they played penn st....teacher as the class to pick the winning team for extra credit they lost but was the best decision I made...hope the wife doesn't read this

Mane...From Lauderdale, so are my people, Oakland Park to be exact. Went to Wake Forest and played soccer there, still wore Orange and Green in the student section, fack a Black and Gold bowtie...

Sneads, FL

Been a Cane from the time that I can remember my name.

Wow I think you're the first person i've met who has heard of Sneads. My mother is from there.

She moved to Miami, met my dad, I was born, I became a cane fan around 83-84 and the rest is history.

Lol. Nice. My grandfather grew up in Sneads and then moved to Miami for a while, but then decided to raise his family in his hometown. According to my parents and photo albums, I was throwing up the U when I was 3 years old, which was in 1984.

Advertisement
Back