Where are the LBs?

Bullsh*t. How many times a game do you see a guy in position to make a TFL or tackle for a short gain and they just whiff or bounce off and take the wrong gap? Sh*t how many times a drive?? No it's not a great scheme but it would look a lot better with competent LBs.
Phillips did well but his hand was on the ground. But dude made plays Greg too. Those guys are talented af that's why.

Advertisement
Terrible talent evaluator.

Our scheme isn't exactly LB friendly either.
Facts facts and more facts. Evaluations are fuqin epic bad it may be worse than AG dead ***. Linebackers shouldn't come here and the smart ones who are talented don't because of what u said. He doesn't go after them either they basically just stand there to wait for the RB after a 5 yard gash.

Agree on your first point. He's bottom of the barrel in evals. Patrick Joyner was his #1 target at LB. Derrick Smith was his hidden gem at Safety. Guy is ******* clueless.

On scheme, Shaq had over 100 tackles one year. I don't like the scheme either. But talented LBs would do just fine here.

Advertisement
Both of those systems are hybrid systems. Bonitto wasn’t recruited by that defensive staff. He’s just a very good athlete. UL does a good job of scheming their guys. But Abdullah could definitely play here. I still feel it’s coaching and highlighting your guys skill sets and using that skill set.
Both guys play in utter garbage defenses that make our **** D look competent.

Neither Bonitto nor Hyppolite would have done **** on shinola here.

Bonito is an undersized pass rusher and Hyppolite sucks. He averages 5 tackles a game ... you know who else average 5 tackles a game? Try Steed and Flagg.

Typical CIS bull****. Our LBs suck but let's pick out random guys from other teams that don't fit our system or were behind guys we recruited that unfortunately got injured and use selective stats to make a hypothetical/non-sensical "point".

Can't wait until someone points out a 5'8 white guy that's averaging 15 tackles a game for Winn Dixie Community College and say we "missed".

Our system sucks and our coaching sucks worse but we also aren't getting the high 4* and 5* guys that make any coach look good.

As far as those who like to point out D$ and some of the CIS gurus liked most of the LBs on our roster, I would say that's revisionist history. Guys like Steed or Joyner or Huff or Cave are absolutely Miami caliber athletes and takes. But most of us were higher on Bonito, Abdullah, Jones, ***ot and Hyppolite. than any of them. Those guys were producing at LB in HS at a high level. You need high floor guys, then can go after projects like Joyner.

Meanwhile, I know many of us, including myself, were massively disappointed in taking Flagg and Jennings. And what the heck was Manny thinking taking ANOTHER converted rush end and ANOTHER converted safety/striker in the 2021 class, while letting Terrence Lewis go to Maryland? Just failure after failure at this position, which is his core position group.

Ruben was the easiest slam dunk of life and we ignored him. Probably the easiest evaluation ever. Guys fast good size and smart and plays off ball
Oh **** we are definitely missing those 5 tackles a game he's making.

GIF by Bounce

That's a different debate. I still have no problem taking tweeners. Bonitto and Abdullah would be considered tweeners. Give me freaks with instincts who play hard.

They were tweeners who had already shown they knew ow to play LB, and who could both rush and cover. Abdullah less so, but the kid had wheels. He was a no brainer. It was criminal passing on them given the guys we took

Advertisement
Flowe would even be a bust here. Not saying the evaluations arent bad, but player development is a way bigger issue. How are all these 4 stars that are recruited by other top notch evaluators non factors here? How many of our players have gotten better over the last decade? Does anyone think Gurvan Hall would be this garbage if he went to Bama? Highly doubt it. I also highly doubt any of the LBs mentioned would do **** here. We dont develop players. Period.

Bullsh*t. How many times a game do you see a guy in position to make a TFL or tackle for a short gain and they just whiff or bounce off and take the wrong gap? Sh*t how many times a drive?? No it's not a great scheme but it would look a lot better with competent LBs.
They are not being thought proper fundamentals or made to sufferthe consequences of being poor at it. That play where Gurvan glitches out, Carter had a clear it. He dives at the ball carrier instead of driving his feet into the runner. And all our players do it. Diving and getting stiff armed

How do you become a competent LB if you arent even in right gap? Arent you supposed to be corched up in the scheme by the guy who installed? Our guys are constantly in wrong gap, Mich back just opened shoulder one way and cutback was there every time, the lb are cheating and overflowing and get faked out.. This happens all the time for years, it just looks worse because these players are manny and talent is even lower..

Advertisement
The thing that strikes me about D$'s list in the OP is that we probably had a pretty good shot with almost all of those guys and we never really recruited any of them. This comes down to the evaluations. Whoever was doing the evals was looking at the kids for what they were as opposed to what they could be, like @LuCane said. When I see recruiting mistakes like this, they are just self-inflicted wounds. You wonder if the coaches ever watch recruits actually play football, or they just recruit off of hype.

Hyppolite may be the fastest LB I've ever seen in person at the HS level. I saw him chase down from behind that white WR from Cardinal Gibbons who went to Clemson.

Ruben was the easiest slam dunk of life and we ignored him. Probably the easiest evaluation ever. Guys fast good size and smart and plays off ball
Yup. Pretty impressive film that even left me head scratching at what was he missing

Manny legit has ZERO clue what to look for in LBs. Embarrassing

Advertisement
I was one of the first people sounding the alarm about LBs, back when people were talking about upgrading Shaq and Pinckney with faster guys. It was my biggest concern with Manny’s hire.

Re: the offers, my issue was the lack of numbers. Half the names you mentioned were hurt by the time they got here or in camp. We needed numbers and blew it by only taking four guys between 18-20.

From January 2019:

It's not just a numbers game though. It was a few years ago but isn't anymore.....but that does bring into question the roster management we've seen with really limited numbers at practically every position on defense over the years.

Back on topic:
- If you exclude the Striker position, there's 8 players for 2 LB positions.
- If you include Striker, there's 11 players for 3 positions.

That's 4 deep. Holy crap. That's more numbers than you know what to do with except NONE of them can actually play well. Every other school in America can play freshmen and sophomores except those who play in the super technical Manny Diaz scheme. The scheme is so simple the average fan can call out the play BEFORE the snap. I'm not talking me. I call them out before the opposing offense even lines up. My buddies who aren't even Miami fans laugh and play games now calling out the plays bc they know how much it irritates me. Our guys line up in the same position just about every time, even if the offense shifts.

The problem is Manny has shown an inability to identify LB talent, inability in recruiting LB talent, and inability in developing LB talent. Then we had Baker and Patke (no confidence with them) but we all know Manny had final say regardless. The only kid who looked good at times at LB was recruited as a safety and had to change positions twice before becoming the top guy at that position group. That's embarrassing. For the rest......too small, too slow, unable to comprehend a simple playbook, or lacking instincts and fundamentals. The last part falls on coaching, as well the incredible fail of not drilling in practice how tackle a **** ball carrier. I can't imagine any top coach accepting poor tackling to the magnitude and frequency Manny continues to do so without completely losing it in practice and kicking the living crap out of them with contact drills until they get it.

The fact we don't even see other kids getting a shot with the lousy on-field play is just as concerning. Could it be worse? I guess. But after getting run over by practically every team for how many games now, shouldn't you try to find out?

I know our LBers suck, but we can make a post like this for every position on this team, we are not above average in CFB at any position other than QB, Punter and maybe RB (when healthy).

Our safeties are hyped af and not a single one can tackle or take an angle to the football;
DTs are below average;
We got hit hard with lack of talent from DEs this year;
OL is trash juice;
WRs can't get open or catch the ball consistently;
Mallory is a 7v7 TE and Arroyo is a TF

Agree on your first point. He's bottom of the barrel in evals. Patrick Joyner was his #1 target at LB. Derrick Smith was his hidden gem at Safety. Guy is ******* clueless.

On scheme, Shaq had over 100 tackles one year. I don't like the scheme either. But talented LBs would do just fine here.
He was here 4 years for BARELY got 100 tackles his senior year. The other 3 years he wasn't close. Under Shannon we had TWO linebackers finish with 100+ tackles IN THE SAME SEASON. 100 tackles is not a big deal.

The scheme isn't LB friendly.
(it's DL friendly)

Advertisement
Back