Where are the LBs?

Advertisement
Lol this cracks me the f- up. You think Dabo turns Jennings into a legit P5 LB? Or Flagg sees the field for him? Or Steed, as much as I admire the kid? How about Brooks? Does Venables's magic heal his busted *** toe? We. Don't. Have. Talent.

Yes, I think there's the possibility that Dabo / Venable's turns them into better players than what we've seen. Players that could start. They're some of the best at developing 3 star players into good to great college players.

There is nothing friendly about how we use our linebackers. They are tasked with all kinds of crap other linebackers aren't at other schools. They are constantly going 1v1 versus other teams OL. They very rarely are allowed to sit back, see the field, and attack the play.

Would they be like some of our past greats? No, absolutely not. There's no way in the last 15 years or so though that we've landed a **** ton of linebackers other schools of note wanted, but never did jack here. You see it with virtually every single team we play and you believe one of two things. Somehow they out recruited us (rankings and offer lists don't suggest that) or we just got the wrong guys or were unlucky. I'm going with a third though. they're being coached up and put into a system to succeed.

He was here 4 years for BARELY got 100 tackles his senior year. The other 3 years he wasn't close. Under Shannon we had TWO linebackers finish with 100+ tackles IN THE SAME SEASON. 100 tackles is not a big deal.

The scheme isn't LB friendly.
(it's DL friendly)

Yup. Want to look like *** at linebacker, come on down.

DL is also questionable though, but scouts love TFL and sacks. We do well there, but they're certainly no help to our linebackers.

I was one of the first people sounding the alarm about LBs, back when people were talking about upgrading Shaq and Pinckney with faster guys. It was my biggest concern with Manny’s hire.

Re: the offers, my issue was the lack of numbers. Half the names you mentioned were hurt by the time they got here or in camp. We needed numbers and blew it by only taking four guys between 18-20.

From January 2019:
I’ve been wanting to say something about this for a while. To be honest I didn’t because I didn’t hear anyone else talking about it and didn’t want to get criticized for basically saying the guys we have aren’t quality. But, and you used the perfect word, since INHERITING Shaq, Pinck, and Zach there has been nothing coming here at LB. We’ve barely been in the conversation for any of the top guys.

Advertisement
Bullsh*t. How many times a game do you see a guy in position to make a TFL or tackle for a short gain and they just whiff or bounce off and take the wrong gap? Sh*t how many times a drive?? No it's not a great scheme but it would look a lot better with competent LBs.
It all comes back to Manny.. it’s one of the scheme, the teaching, or his evaluations, but whichever answer you settle on, the **** flows downstream from Manny.

Advertisement
Manny’s position of “expertise” is LB, he’s been here for 6 recruiting cycles as the head man in charge of defense and he has not recruited, nor developed one above average power 5 starting caliber player at LB.

Been saying this for a while now, back when it was through 4 and 5 recruiting cycles that it was a joke. Now it’s 6 recruiting cycles and we are still garbage at that position.

We all know now that he’s not the guy and will eventually be fired, but the LB recruiting and development has been the biggest red flag for me for quite a while now.

If you don’t have one, single high quality player at your position of emphasis/specialization after 6 recruiting cycles and 2 complete cycles of graduation, you have no chance at building an entire team, let alone a defense.

I wish I was lying, I helped him move in. He and my brother both cried so much cuz they were homesick. My brother wishes he went to A&M and nik wished he went to Miami
Angry Mark Cuban GIF

Advertisement
Yes, I think there's the possibility that Dabo / Venable's turns them into better players than what we've seen. Players that could start. They're some of the best at developing 3 star players into good to great college players.

There is nothing friendly about how we use our linebackers. They are tasked with all kinds of crap other linebackers aren't at other schools. They are constantly going 1v1 versus other teams OL. They very rarely are allowed to sit back, see the field, and attack the play.

Would they be like some of our past greats? No, absolutely not. There's no way in the last 15 years or so though that we've landed a **** ton of linebackers other schools of note wanted, but never did jack here. You see it with virtually every single team we play and you believe one of two things. Somehow they out recruited us (rankings and offer lists don't suggest that) or we just got the wrong guys or were unlucky. I'm going with a third though. they're being coached up and put into a system to succeed.
What they're good at is evaluating kids, on the one hand, and putting them in a position to succeed, on the other.

Dabo had no interest in Jennings or Flagg. The idea that Clemson would have turned them into good players is just blind projection. This idea that 'development' is alchemy is one of the deep flaws in logic around this program. UM has sent comparable numbers to the NFL even during the period where it sucked and Clemson was good. Clemson picks the right kids for its scheme and culture, and it hits at a much higher rate, keeps kids in the program, and yes, develops them. But not every kid that goes to Clemson turns into a good player. The selection bias in the comparison is enormous. Maybe had they gone to Clemson they'd have been run off the team. No point in speculating.

Advertisement

Our linebacker recruiting sucks and coaching it sucks. But u ain't turning Jennings or Flagg into anything stop. If they wanted to turn them into something Clemson would of recruited them. Would they look better possibly? Sure with that disruptive talented *** DL.......he's good but they got some ballers at Clemson.

You're both getting caught up in one thing.

I'm not saying how good they would be, NFL draft pick, all-conference, or whatever.

It was said that Dabo / Ven couldn't do a thing with them. I disagree. They would most certainly be better than we're showing them to be.

This Manny Diaz defense is broken, has been exposed, and we're seeing teams attack those weaknesses. They're not even put into a position to succeed.

You could take the three best linebackers in the country (really two and some tweener safety hybrid) and we aren't suddenly stout at the position. If they're listening and following the play as it's called, they are no longer the best three / two in the country.

How good any of them could be, we'll never know. All those young men listed by D$ aren't doing those same things here. Maybe they're better than what we have, but that's just speculation.

If anyone here thinks our linebackers are set up for success, I'll flat out say you're an idiot. You can't tell potential if you don't out potential in a position to show out.

I was one of the first people sounding the alarm about LBs, back when people were talking about upgrading Shaq and Pinckney with faster guys. It was my biggest concern with Manny’s hire.

Re: the offers, my issue was the lack of numbers. Half the names you mentioned were hurt by the time they got here or in camp. We needed numbers and blew it by only taking four guys between 18-20.

From January 2019:

From January 2019:
As the original Dread Pirate Roberts on recruiting concerns, I applaud your early expression of concern here.

Nov. '17
We have 1 DT committed and 0 LBs committed.

Maybe it all works out great. But anyone who isn't concerned as a fan about that situation is just relying on blind faith rather than actually thinking.

A couple threads:

Advertisement
Back