Where are the LBs?

DMoney

D-Moni
Administrator
Linebacker is the weakest position on the team. Since inheriting Shaq and Pinckney, Manny has been unable to recruit quality players at the position.

Was this mistake avoidable? Some of his misfortune is due to injury. Steed, for example, is a take all day if healthy. But here is a list of some local LBs we passed on who are playing better than our guys. I’m also including CIS posts made about them while they were in high school. A few of these players double as pass rushers, which is another weakness of the team.

Nik Bonitto- 6'3, 240 lbs, Oklahoma (Fort Lauderdale, FL)

This kid is a Prop joe Special. 6'3 1/2 205pds 4.7 40, Huge Wingspan. Kid has natural pass rushing moves and bend, great feet, as he is a div 1 level basketball player.

I think he is a textbook Sam Lb. Think Zach Mccloud's spot.
I'm with you. Unique athlete. Ryan Shazier flashbacks.
Kid is a talented pass rusher and has the athletic ability to play in space as a LB. That versatility is perfect for Diaz’s defense and in general modern defenses today.

Mikel Jones- 6'1, 220 lbs, Syracuse (Miami, FL)

Why isn't Miami on Mikel Jones? The kid is really good.
Why did we never get in on the 4star lb from img mikel Jones who was 6’2 210 and signed with Syracuse yesterday?
Mikel Jones (Miami kid from Mater) looks real good. He is #19 LB for IMG.

Yasir Abdullah, 6'1, 235 lbs, Louisville (Miramar, FL)

To put it into 2017 recruiting class terms, it's why I continue to harp on being open to what Yasir Abdullah does this year. I'm not as excited about the player he is today as I am about the player I project he can be.

Been saying for months we need to flip him from LVille.

His Uncle was Freeman Brown & he absolutely wanted an offer from us back in the Spring.

I like Joyner, but for LB's in this class we need at least 2 & one of'em, should be Abdullah.
For LB, get me Yasir Abdullah. That kid's a beast.
Yasir is a freak athlete , no way I pass on him. Just my opinion

Advertisement
Ruben Hyppolite, 6', 230, Maryland

i just look at there tapes. this kid is a much better athlete than either of them
This will be another one we regret not taking in 2 years
He runs sub 4.5 and understands coverage concepts
After watching LBs who struggle to run sideline to sideline id be thrilled to have him join the class. Plus athlete with tons of upside

Diego ***ot, 6'3, 240 (Navy)

I think we will regret passing on Diego ***ot. Yeah, he’s at Navy but I think he will be big-time and he fits our system even at his size.

Tri-County kid UM should have offered? Diego ***ot
OH My ....

That Diego ***ot kid is Luke Kuechly reincarnated....

Advertisement
I know you’re not putting up this thread after backing up the offers to Steed, Wilder, Zach, Huff, Brooks, Troutman(who’s smaller than some of our CBS), and Tyler Johnson.

You backed most of the offers at LB.

Advertisement
I know you’re not putting up this thread after backing up the offers to Steed, Wilder, Zach, Huff, Brooks, Troutman(who’s smaller than some of our CBS), and Tyler Johnson.

You backed most of the offers at LB.
I was one of the first people sounding the alarm about LBs, back when people were talking about upgrading Shaq and Pinckney with faster guys. It was my biggest concern with Manny’s hire.

Re: the offers, my issue was the lack of numbers. Half the names you mentioned were hurt by the time they got here or in camp. We needed numbers and blew it by only taking four guys between 18-20.

From January 2019:

I don’t like the two-year haul of Jennings, Steed, Wilder and Joyner.

Joyner is huge and could end up at DE permanently. Wilder unfortunately has to deal with a neck injury. Jennings and Steed still need to take the next step.

It’s not easy to recruit studs with Shaq/Pickney entrenched but I would have liked us to take a couple more run-and-hit developmental guys.

Advertisement
Advertisement
homer simpson episode 6 GIF

Live footage of Dmoney and me.

Advertisement
Back