Where are the LBs?

Advertisement
That's a different debate. I still have no problem taking tweeners. Bonitto and Abdullah would be considered tweeners. Give me freaks with instincts who play hard.
The difference for those guys is coaching. Those guys were rush ends in high school also. I didn’t see Bonitto being a take for us. But Abdullah should’ve been a take. Nik projected as a 3/4 backer. But the big thing is coaching. Hyppolite should’ve been a take.

This, Bring in the explosive athletes/freaks and then find a spot for them. Bonnitto was going to be a tough pull iirc, but I recall Yasir - freak kid with an outstanding 100m time and undersized (190, iirc). To me, that was the bigger miss b/c he would hve been an easy pull.

Surprised you didn't have Kris Bogle on that list. Saw him get a lot of PT against bama over the wekeend.
Bonito was my youngest brothers roommate at OU. He wasn’t gonna be a tough pull we still talk.. he wanted to be at Miami.. they didn’t even try with him much

Advertisement
That's a different debate. I still have no problem taking tweeners. Bonitto and Abdullah would be considered tweeners. Give me freaks with instincts who play hard.
This, Bring in the explosive athletes/freaks and then find a spot for them. Bonnitto was going to be a tough pull iirc, but I recall Yasir - freak kid with an outstanding 100m time and undersized (190, iirc). To me, that was the bigger miss b/c he would hve been an easy pull.

Surprised you didn't have Kris Bogle on that list. Saw him get a lot of PT against bama over the wekeend.
They’re not even LBers at UL or OU. They’re edge guys. We’re taking these same edge guys and trying to make them stand up 4-3 LBers. How is it a different debate than it was 3 years ago? OU and UL took them and put them in areas of strength which was rushing the passer. We take the very same players and ask them to drop in coverage.

Advertisement
They’re not even LBers at UL or OU. They’re edge guys. We’re taking these same edge guys and trying to make them stand up 4-3 LBers. How is it a different debate than it was 3 years ago? OU and UL took them and put them in areas of strength which was rushing the passer. We take the very same players and ask them to drop in coverage.
It's a fair point, but even if they are pass rushers they are better than the pass rushers we have. Plus they are more versatile.

As I mentioned to you off the board, I'm afraid someone like Abdullah would produce Avery Huff results here. I liked him, no doubt, but I'm just a passive observer when it comes to positions like LB. I don't know the nuances well enough, and LB is a position of nuances where each kid needs physical AND mental development. Same with Safeties, but at least I know many of the nuances there. Evaluation is hard. The evidence of your list shows we make it harder.

Blow up the entire ******* thing.

Advertisement
I loved Quan when he was here and even though he was a 1st team AA he was so underrated. He masked half of the LBer incompetence you see now. This has been building and once he left it blew up. He deserves 3 banners in the IPF for making Manny’s defense look good for 2 years.

They didn’t try for him or Wingo. They took Huff over Wingo. I get why they took Huff. His athletic profile is nice. But they can’t develop the position.
I woulda took wingo as well. Imo if you can take Sam Brooks you gotta take Nik Bonitto. I’m in the minority with my opinion of course but regardless of health Brooks isn’t a good LB. he’s a pass rusher as well or 3-4 backer like Nik.

But he refuses to slander other guys lol you don’t have to single out a hard working kid. It’s not flagg’s fault manny is trash. There are other LB’ers on the rosters yet he starts.. means the others aren’t good either
Flagg gets a lot of unfair criticism on this board. I’m his biggest defender. He should have never been asked to play this early. He was a developmental kid who shouldn’t have had to see action until his 3rd year. He is being thrown into the fire and it’s Mannys fault.

It’s the equal of asking Big Baby Seymour to be our starting C because Gaynor isn’t cutting it then killing Big Baby when he gets destroyed week and week by DTs.

Advertisement
I loved Quan when he was here and even though he was a 1st team AA he was so underrated. He masked half of the LBer incompetence you see now. This has been building and once he left it blew up. He deserves 3 banners in the IPF for making Manny’s defense look good for 2 years.
This too. Don’t get me wrong Shaq And Pink were leaps and bounds better than what we got but 4 was an absolute eraser. He made a lot of guys look better

As I mentioned to you off the board, I'm afraid someone like Abdullah would produce Avery Huff results here. I liked him, no doubt, but I'm just a passive observer when it comes to positions like LB. I don't know the nuances well enough, and LB is a position of nuances where each kid needs physical AND mental development. Same with Safeties, but at least I know many of the nuances there. Evaluation is hard. The evidence of your list shows we make it harder.

Blow up the entire ******* thing.
That's it, this is the only thing that matters. We can continue to analyze the million ways manny is bad but our energy and focus should be on blowing it up and starting new, from the top of the AD down to the coaching staff.

Both of those systems are hybrid systems. Bonitto wasn’t recruited by that defensive staff. He’s just a very good athlete. UL does a good job of scheming their guys. But Abdullah could definitely play here. I still feel it’s coaching and highlighting your guys skill sets and using that skill set.

Advertisement
Back