What hurts the most

Meh. How the **** can you coach a guy to not miss a 20 yd FG and coach an experienced jr return man to not let the ball go right through his hands.

Kickoffs, kickoff coverage, punting, and punt coverage were all fine.

Yep, plus I think Baxa was very accurate before this miss. The coaches can’t go out there and play for the players.

Advertisement
Came here for all the overreactions smh but the coaches have lots of adjustments to make. The o line and penalties are very concerning, but the tackling will be fine and I'm excited about Jarren as long as he learns to manage that clock in his head and get rid of the ball. Enos needs to also call more plays to utilize Jarren's wheels cuz he's an underrated athlete as a runner. How we respond on the road vs a conference opponent will tell us a lot about this coaching staff.

After our fake field goal, we had the ball at their 11 yard line, up 20-17 with 11 minutes to play. Instead of going up 10 or even 6, we come away with nothing. Cue the momentum shift. That’s immediately followed by a long completion by Franks that leads to what proved to be the game winner.

I expect bumps and bruises from a young team and we’ll learn to capitalize on mistakes without making self-inflicted ones as the season progresses.

Frierson got burned were Ivey would/should have been playing and Carter was the over the top help in the spot Bolden would/should have been playing. So many little instances of not making the one play that means the difference between winning/losing.

What hurts the most is that UF isn’t very good. This was the perfect game to introduce the world to “The New Miami” and it didn’t happen.

- The story of the game is that our freshman tackles got dominated. The coaches gambled by not playing the Scaife at tackle and it backfired. Campbell and Nelson did not look ready physically or mentally against UF’s much older DEs. Do you go back to Scaife and risk killing your young players’ confidence? Barry may not have a choice.

- Jarren looked good under tough circumstances. I liked his poise. But we said similar things about Kyle Wright after FSU ‘05 and Stephen Morris after Maryland ‘11. The key will be his consistency in the ACC. He threw some dimes today.

- In the offseason, Manny talked a lot about special teams and tackling being the difference in opening games. The missed tackles on the Toney run were devastating and special teams had two critical errors. There were 114 yards in penalties, too. Not a great start for Manny but it’s a long season.

There are two weeks before the next game. North Carolina is garbage but they have a new staff and should be fired up to play at home. That game will be telling as to whether anything has changed or it is the same old story.

I think the penalties and missed tackles overstated. The penalties were almost all due to the OL. And the missed tackles were really only a problem on the first drive of the first game of the first season as starters for a young secondary.

Advertisement
I second this, he should have thrown the ball away on at 3 or 4 of those sacks & saved his body from unnecessary hits.

Pretty sure he recognized and acknowledged this in the post game remarks. I expect we will see something totally different at UNC

I hate to say this but Jeff Thomas shrinks in pressure situations, it has been evident that he actually plays a step slow when he feels pressure.

If you listened to what Ahmmon Richards said on the OBB podcast he said Jeff Thomas is a much faster player in practice. Unfortunately that tells me that in pressure situations under the lights he DOES play a step slower than he’s capable of.

I almost think he overthinks when he gets on the field. Last night he was clearly looking to run before he actually caught the ball - hence the muffed punt. After that, he seemed hesitant to take the ball out of the endzone. He also dropped a dime pass in the endzone.

Advertisement
IMO, we didn't deserve the win. Not saying that the Gators did either, but we sure as **** didn't.

We had every opportunity to win this and somehow found a way to not. Ignore everything up until the last 5 mins. That insane call from Mullen to have Franks throw it right to us with 4:00 mins left on our half of the field when they could have run the clock out instead was a gift. We thank the heavens for that gift by getting the ridiculous Unsportsmanlike. Then we screwed up the first set of downs but somehow get a PI on 4th and ******* 34. We get another 4 downs and DO NOTHING.

If before the game, you told me that near the end of the 4th quarter, we'd be down by 4 and had at least 12 tries (don't forget that we turned it before on downs right before the interception) to move the ball 30 something yards, I'd say we should win that.

I mean Felik Frosier gave us the ball twice with those fumbles and we won the TO battle by picking up every fumble we had, we stopped the run, only let a couple of big plays hit us. Gators had several egregious penalties that extended our drives when they had us on 3rd. Imagine if LSU had made all of these mistakes last year.

But then we have crap like that inexcusable muffed punt on the 10, getting to the redzone twice and leaving with no points due to a missed chip shot and failed 4th down conversion, 10 SACKS given up, 2 dropped TDs, holding penalties on 60 yard runs. I mean Jesus Christ. This was almost beyond Folden levels of lacking discipline with how many penalties we had.

The gators tried to gave us this game and we refused it like some spoiled kid.

A lot of veteran posters ready to jump off ship after game 1 or 2 of Manny’s coaching career. Can’t say I’m surprised but definitely disappointed. I wish there was somewhere else to get quality Canes info because this board is going downhill in a hurry. These next 2 weeks are going to be miserable around here.

I liked it for a few plays where Dallas popped 20+ off in wildcat but he played too much at WR

I had no issue with him in the wildcat. He was a great distraction and played well with Dallas. Wish we would’ve attempted a pass with Martell. My issue is when he is out running routes in the fourth quarter when we can plug in Hightower, Wiggins, Harley, Irvin or Mallory, etc. into the game

Advertisement
I handled the loss way better than I thought I would and came away encouraged.

I'll save my vitriol for later in the season for ACC play. We really should not lose another game outside of FSU (which is always a toss up in my book) and clemson.

I saw some good things last night, but mostly, I saw a team that didnt fold and wasnt scared.

Long season ahead fellas. I'll even go so far as to predict we finish with a better record than the gates.

He wasn't seeing the whole field. Like that sack he took where the announcers pointed out Osborne was wide open underneath.

Yes the OL was awful, but Jarren has to be able to get rid of the ball quicker

Tom Brady may have gotten rid of the ball quicker but it's a lot to expect an inexperience QB to have as quick a reactive time. It got to the point where UF was getting inside pressure at will. In the second half, the cumulative affect of that slowed his processing time even more.

That's the issue with going with an inexperienced QB. We knew that going into the game. It's going to remain an issue until the starts slowing down for him.

This was an elite throw with pressure in jarrens face where only he can get the ball. **** we would have been up by 10 with under 10 minutes left. That’s my qb. We working with a real talent at the position folks. Got to clean up with him holding the ball too long but he will learn from that.
E206FF8B-BFF1-4163-9CC4-A614E8E4BDD1.jpeg

Last edited:
Advertisement
I had no issue with him in the wildcat. He was a great distraction and played well with Dallas. Wish we would’ve attempted a pass with Martell. My issue is when he is out running routes in the fourth quarter when we can plug in Hightower, Wiggins, Harley, Irvin or Mallory, etc. into the game

I'd love to hear Enos's thoughts on his game plan. I really thought we'd see a heavy dose of Jordan, Mallory and Irvin to attack to LBs and chip for the tackles.

Maybe I am being dense, but what is with the talk about our special teams coaching lacking ? I mean, how do you coach a kid not to muff a punt or miss a chip shot ? That’s not coaching that’s on the players . I didn’t see anything else wrong with our special teams besides those two errors .
Agreed. Guys shriveled up in important moments. That's not on coaching.

Advertisement
Back