What hurts the most

UF wasn’t very good last year but they beat an LSU team that beat us pretty convincingly... they’re not a very good team but the SEC style fits them perfectly and they will probably have another solid season like last year.

Youth can negate talent... we are more talented than Florida, we have a better QB but the issue is this was his first career start. This team is headed in the right direction on offense and defense so no need to feel hurt. We just have to let the young pups grow up and get Campbell out of the starting lineup.

Advertisement
Why is tate martell getting burn in the slot can someone please explain this? Are the wideouts that bad this program is in complete shambles
I don’t think so ... I did notice tho that when Tate was on the field he created confusion for UFs defense ... but I think he was on the field 5-6 too many times man. I’d hope to see Pope Hightower n Wiggins More often n eat !

What hurts the most is that UF isn’t very good. This was the perfect game to introduce the world to “The New Miami” and it didn’t happen.

- The story of the game is that our freshman tackles got dominated. The coaches gambled by not playing the Scaife at tackle and it backfired. Campbell and Nelson did not look ready physically or mentally against UF’s much older DEs. Do you go back to Scaife and risk killing your young players’ confidence? Barry may not have a choice.

- Jarren looked good under tough circumstances. I liked his poise. But we said similar things about Kyle Wright after FSU ‘05 and Stephen Morris after Maryland ‘11. The key will be his consistency in the ACC. He threw some dimes today.

- In the offseason, Manny talked a lot about special teams and tackling being the difference in opening games. The missed tackles on the Toney run were devastating and special teams had two critical errors. There were 114 yards in penalties, too. Not a great start for Manny but it’s a long season.

There are two weeks before the next game. North Carolina is garbage but they have a new staff and should be fired up to play at home. That game will be telling as to whether anything has changed or it is the same old story.

this. …. unfortunately.

I don’t think so ... I did notice tho that when Tate was on the field he created confusion for UFs defense ... but I think he was on the field 5-6 too many times man. I’d hope to see Pope Hightower n Wiggins More often n eat !
Nobody is eating when QB has no time. Need to fix the line issues period.

Advertisement
There was also a very returnable KO that he didn’t take out of the end zone. Something seemed off with him mentally.
I hate to say this but Jeff Thomas shrinks in pressure situations, it has been evident that he actually plays a step slow when he feels pressure.

If you listened to what Ahmmon Richards said on the OBB podcast he said Jeff Thomas is a much faster player in practice. Unfortunately that tells me that in pressure situations under the lights he DOES play a step slower than he’s capable of.

The same concerns I had with the offense during the spring game up during this game. Oline getting there **** pushed in, Jarren processing speed and Enos calling the same plays that hasn't worked.

Advertisement
Jarren also holds the ball an awful long time. You can really feel that when you watch live. His vision also needs to improve markedly. Still think he was the right choice, but needs to get rid of the ball quicker.

Hopefully our WRs get better separation v UNC. Maybe that leads to our tackles not looking so bad too?

Advertisement
Our staff and our players are going to regret this game for a long time. Left points on the table. Left plays on the table. This game was more than winnable. Miami should have won by double digits.

A few posts I had prior to the game:

My head: 27-20 trashd!ck squad up north.

If we are to win? Its going to have to be Jarren Williams. The most important players in the game - Miami or the gators - are the three freshman starting on offense...Williams, Nelson, and Campbell.

Their ability to adapt and rise to the occasion determines the game, IMO. Can they - and as a result - the team, culturally, overcome the adversity that will come in a Florida game. Miami teams have not fared very well when they've gotten legitimately punched in the mouth over the past 15 years or so...this is a game where they will be get put on their *** a few times...can they overcome that.

It seems I had this game dead to rights. I felt Williams did rise to the occasion. I was pretty impressed with him. The critiques of him holding on to the ball for so long are misguided...the offensive line was horrendous.

As for Nelson and Campbell...they faced a lot of adversity all night and wilted under the pressure. For Nelson, my inebriated eyes saw a guy that wasn't getting out fast enough on his kick step, was off balance all night, and a guy that was generally getting outworked by some very talented edge players at UF. There were many plays where he didn't even get his hands on anybody. As for Campbell, in the first half, he was abysmal. Overpowered, head spinning. Was tough to watch. It made anything Miami wanted to do offensively very difficult. The refs even went light on Miami with the number of outright holds they didn't flag us for.

The critiques at Jeff Thomas are legitimate. If you think you're a baller like he thinks he is a baller, then you make those plays. Schematically...I would never throw to a 5'10" wide receiver in those scenarios. Those routes and opportunities in the world of college football need to be run and thrown to your big wide receivers. The catch radius and body separation in those scenarios is what wins the day. With that said...Thomas wilted when he was asked to be a big time player.

A player that didn't wilt. DeeJay Dallas. He ran with a purpose. Grinding out yards. Making big plays. Same for Brevin Jordan.

---

As an aside...if you've ever said that our linebackers are elite, you need to get your eyes checked. Another game in their long careers where our "star" defenders look average and unathletic. Way too many of those over four years.

There was also a very returnable KO that he didn’t take out of the end zone. Something seemed off with him mentally.

I mentioned to Canesareable that I didn't like Thomas' body language throughout the game. As a fan that's something that I'm going to monitor. It was like he really didn't even want to be out there. I need to go back again and watch specifically, but it seemed like even after he made a play he wasn't overly enthused.

And after me complaining about Tate playing so much at WR, toilet water educated me on the fact that he was playing because that's his position; meaning Thomas was out of the game. I know Thomas got nicked up a time or two but I'm wondering if the rotation called for him to come out as much as he did or was he pulling himself out.

Manny hired the right pieces, but he has his work cut out for him. Give him time. He’s got fire and wants to win and is driven more than anyone in 20 years.

“Don’t relate to the kids” take but ditch the TD rings. Looks dumb to be mugging after every TD. Turnover chain already changed the landscape. Stop there.

Special Teams (non-punter related) and OL need help, but the right QB choice was made, and that first drive was a beauty. Was a new OF install too much to learn, too fast, @DMoney

No moral victories - it’s not who we are. But A lot more optimistic than season’s past based on infrastructure and our leader. We need to build and watch it progress game by game.

Advertisement
Can’t this to here from guys like @Liberty City El and @thefanchise. I hate that we lost but **** I didn’t feel like the LSU or duke games last year. We started two freshmen tackles and the play calls we suspect but I thought inspite of that manny had our boys ready.

Let’s see what the next 11 weeks look like.

Uf is terrible both teams showed how far they are from top tier that clemson bama level of football is just on another planet us and fla arent even in the same stratosphere, the only positive imo is we didnt win the game nothing worse than smoke and mirrors that will set a program back even more imo we had some of that with the past regimes
I disagree. Their defense was legit and they had playmakers on offence. Like us, they had a lot of mental mistakes. It was the first game of the season, there are bound to be mistakes.

No matter how bad this oline looked last night and how ****** several guys played (Thomas Mallory) after seeing the game live
Nobody is eating when QB has no time. Need to fix the line issues period.
understood. N to think we still had multiple chances to win that game. My point is I expect this line to play much better as the season progresses n this was by far the best Dline they will face this season with the exception of a Clemson!!! We gon to be alright !

Manny hired the right pieces, but he has his work cut out for him. Give him time. He’s got fire and wants to win and is driven more than anyone in 20 years.

“Don’t relate to the kids” take but ditch the TD rings. Looks dumb to be mugging after every TD. Turnover chain already changed the landscape. Stop there.

Special Teams (non-punter related) and OL need help, but the right QB choice was made, and that first drive was a beauty. Was a new OF install too much to learn, too fast, @DMoney

No moral victories - it’s not who we are. But A lot more optimistic than season’s past based on infrastructure and our leader. We need to build and watch it progress game by game.
Special teams was a disaster. I wasn't really impressed with our Punter.

Advertisement
Back