What hurts the most

Advertisement
Jarren also holds the ball an awful long time. You can really feel that when you watch live. His vision also needs to improve markedly. Still think he was the right choice, but needs to get rid of the ball quicker.
I noticed he missed several receivers crossing while under pressure....if Jarren is going to hang in the pocket.... he has to learn how to get rid of it where only his receiver has a chance.....

The difference between jarren is he literally made 0 mistakes. He’s the truth back there. He had literally no time at all and still made no mistakes throwing into coverage.

I second this, he should have thrown the ball away on at 3 or 4 of those sacks & saved his body from unnecessary hits.

Advertisement
Go re watch the tape. And tell me how many of those sacks were within the pocket and unless jarren was Vick with a 99 speed in Madden how was he supposed to escape them

He wasn't seeing the whole field. Like that sack he took where the announcers pointed out Osborne was wide open underneath.

Yes the OL was awful, but Jarren has to be able to get rid of the ball quicker

I just want to see this team clean up their act when they go against UNC.
  • No more stupid procedural penalties.
  • Have the OL be quicker off the snap so the opposing DL isn't getting to the QB while they're still getting out of their stance.
  • Communicate more adequately so things like missed assignments for the OL, and incorrect routes for the WRs don't happen.
  • Just execute more cleanly on STs. Punting was okay, but that missed FG and muffed punt hurt us horribly.
I'm not expecting miracles; no team executes perfectly, but I think there is considerable room for improvement within any coaching staff's reasonable expectation for execution. Obviously this team is a work in progress, the OL is a mess, impeding the offense from reaching it's potential, and Williams was having a hard time getting rid of the ball quickly enough while also struggling in the face of constant pressure. However, Williams is obviously very talented and will be a major part of what will still likely end up being a massive offensive improvement.

This is year 1, anyone who follows college football knows that there are always growing pains in a transition to a new coaching staff that forces changes of habit and expectations.

Advertisement
Advertisement
What hurts the most is that UF isn’t very good. This was the perfect game to introduce the world to “The New Miami” and it didn’t happen.

- The story of the game is that our freshman tackles got dominated. The coaches gambled by not playing the Scaife at tackle and it backfired. Campbell and Nelson did not look ready physically or mentally against UF’s much older DEs. Do you go back to Scaife and risk killing your young players’ confidence? Barry may not have a choice.

- Jarren looked good under tough circumstances. I liked his poise. But we said similar things about Kyle Wright after FSU ‘05 and Stephen Morris after Maryland ‘11. The key will be his consistency in the ACC. He threw some dimes today.

- In the offseason, Manny talked a lot about special teams and tackling being the difference in opening games. The missed tackles on the Toney run were devastating and special teams had two critical errors. There were 114 yards in penalties, too. Not a great start for Manny but it’s a long season.

There are two weeks before the next game. North Carolina is garbage but they have a new staff and should be fired up to play at home. That game will be telling as to whether anything has changed or it is the same old story.
The only thing telling about that game will be unc has 2 high nfl caliber d lineman. Besides that nothing we see in that game will challenge us. Sam howell is certainly not ready and that kills their offense. Secondary is suspect as well. The rest of our schedule is pretty basic. We need to use this time to iron out the oline & dline rotations. Dont know who else picked it up but as feared our dline rotation inspire zero fear. If the tackles dont develope quick our ends are simply gonna get doubled and pushed up the field. Which as you saw tonight nullifies them. Other thing abundantly clear is our safety play is gonna be suspect against the pass until bubba gets in the swing of things cause he excells against the pass

What hurts the most is that special teams cost us the season last year and Diaz's solution was to put someone who has never been a ST coach in charge. I thought Manny would tighten up the little things so at least those wouldn't cost us games.

What hurts second most is the missed opportunity to revamp the offense and implement a college style spread O. Riddle me this, in 2010 when Oregon went to the BCS championship an undefeated 12-0, how did they manage to set records with a starting OL that consisted of three 2 star players, one 3 star, and one 4 star? (Btw that championship caliber team also had virtually no defense and a mediocre QB). Pace, spacing, and timing. Yet Diaz sticks with Miamis pro style (but Enos uses motion so the results will be different!) Enos calls plays like we have Bamas OL, and the result is an unbelievable 10 sacks by a defense that will probably rank about 26th at the end of the season.

The only thing telling about that game will be unc has 2 high nfl caliber d lineman. Besides that nothing we see in that game will challenge us. Sam howell is certainly not ready and that kills their offense. Secondary is suspect as well. The rest of our schedule is pretty basic. We need to use this time to iron out the oline & dline rotations. Dont know who else picked it up but as feared our dline rotation inspire zero fear. If the tackles dont develope quick our ends are simply gonna get doubled and pushed up the field. Which as you saw tonight nullifies them. Other thing abundantly clear is our safety play is gonna be suspect against the pass until bubba gets in the swing of things cause he excells against the pass
Our Oline got baptized by fire tonight. I want to see them improve their play against UNC. The Oline won't see players the caliber of Zuniga and Greenard for the rest of the season. The presnap penalties killed us tonight, those have to be corrected as well.

Advertisement
-Barry has his hand full at O-line, I didn’t think this unit would be even worst than last years unit but here we are...they need to tighten up and find a consistent rotation, Nelson shouldn’t even have played, he wasn’t ready, Campbell is axx.
-JT4 need to follow Osborn and hit the jug machine after practice now until the end of the season, and ST better work on fielding punts correctly, speaking of KJ, why wasn’t he out on special teams duty, I’d trade a lil bit of speed if he catches punts correctly.
-Jarren Williams has nearly all the makings of an elite QB, the way he eludes defenders in the pocket reminds me of Deshuan Watson but he needs to learn to throw the ball away instead of holding it or trying to make something special happen, counted at least 4 sacks that could’ve been avoided if he simply threw the ball out of bounds.

Crazy thing is that Manny & Co. can go 10-0,11-0 with the rest of the schedule and this loss will still sting or come back to haunt us, UF simply shouldn’t have won that game, it’s not like with LSU and Burrow throwing a mistake free game. Felipe Franks literally gifted us that game and we still couldn’t deliver.

What hurts the most is that this is really the old Miami. 8 months of wolf talk and killing press conferences for our sloppiest opener in recent memory. Manny needs to clean this up quick. At least 10 points left on the field, due to special teams....not counting the negated gains and TD due to penalties. A lot of golden foreshadowing here. Poorly coached tonight and it showed. Delay of games frustrated everyone in my section (shoutout P43). I know someone already said this but, Tate getting run over Pope needs to be resolved ASAP. Very discouraging, not sure if it’s a ploy to keep him around (lord knows jarren can get injured with that line play). Neato stat of the night- Manny Diaz is 0-1 when leading at half time.

Big 12 officials are sofffffttttt.

Advertisement
Back