What hurts the most

Advertisement
What hurts the most is that UF isn’t very good. This was the perfect game to introduce the world to “The New Miami” and it didn’t happen.

- The story of the game is that our freshman tackles got dominated. The coaches gambled by not playing the Scaife at tackle and it backfired. Campbell and Nelson did not look ready physically or mentally against UF’s much older DEs. Do you go back to Scaife and risk killing your young players’ confidence? Barry may not have a choice.

- Jarren looked good under tough circumstances. I liked his poise. But we said similar things about Kyle Wright after FSU ‘05 and Stephen Morris after Maryland ‘11. The key will be his consistency in the ACC. He threw some dimes today.

- In the offseason, Manny talked a lot about special teams and tackling being the difference in opening games. The missed tackles on the Toney run were devastating and special teams had two critical errors. There were 114 yards in penalties, too. Not a great start for Manny but it’s a long season.

There are two weeks before the next game. North Carolina is garbage but they have a new staff and should be fired up to play at home. That game will be telling as to whether anything has changed or it is the same old story.
I think the defense showed some rust in the 1st half with poor tackling, but improved much in the 2nd half. I was disappointed with our pass rush as I expected to have the sack totals that Florida had on us. However, overall the defense played really well holding the gators to 52 yards rushing on 27 carries. The secondary played well with the exception of two plays - the Toney missed tackles and the long pass completion late in the 4th qtr to serve up the game winning TD for Florida. The D will continue to be the staple of the team and should be one of the top units in the country.

We will only go as far as our bookend freshman tackles take us. We can't even run half of our offensive plays because there's no time to throw. Jarren played well, but needs to have a better internal clock as he was holding the ball too long even when the offense line provided adequate protection. That was to be expected and Jarren will improve in each game.

DJ Dallas really looks like a gamer running must faster and with power. He ran thru several arm tackles which was encouraging to see.

There is a lot to correct. Most teams make their biggest improvement from week 1 to week 2. As D$ alluded, we have a bye week before UNC. That game will tell us how much our team has improved and what type of season we can expect.

Last edited:
Are you seriously comparing JW to Kyle Wright and Stephen Morris? After watching that game you are telling us you are not sure that Williams is any better than those 2? Playing in his 1st start against a top 10 team away from home behind the worst OL in school history I think Jarren Williams showed a ton of poise. The kid has serious talent. Get him behind a decent OL with a little more experience and he will be torching the ACC.

I’ve been driving the JWill bandwagon since he got here and I liked what I saw yesterday. But I don’t want to be premature in saying we have a QB because we’ve seen these kinds of debuts before.

Advertisement
Grantham owns us....2014 at Louisville and now tonight.

Not really. Jeff Thomas muffed a punt that gave their offense a free TD, We missed a chip shot FG, And then Thomas dropped a pass that hit his hands. That's a 17 or swing that cost us the game.

Despite everything that went wrong, we had 2 dropped TD catches that if 1 is made, we win. Our 2 best offensive players in JT and Jordan had the ball hit their hands and they didn’t make the play.

That’s what stands out the most to me because I knew the OL would struggle and I knew JW would struggle. The D kept us in the game and our top guys couldn’t make the play when it counted the most.

D$ nailed it. Florida isn’t anywhere near elite, and their QB is a gigantic version of Rosier.

I, too, got Kyle Wright 2005 flashbacks. I remember feeling like **** that we lost that game but hopeful that we had a good QB. He was just young and his OL was terrible. Well, as it turned out, he wasn’t very good because he couldn’t process info quickly enough.

I said when Jarren was named starter that that would be something to keep an eye on and even discussed Wright.

I also mentioned that I would have used Scaife at Tackle this season and tried to get someone ready at G. Then, once again, I became willing to drink the bath water assuming that Zion must be doing a great job against our excellent DEs, or else why would they keep him out there.

Well, he clearly was nowhere near ready to play at this level against this sort of competition. Either we didn’t practice hard enough to give him a good enough look, or our OL coach is really bad at evaluating who should be starting. Because it seemed pretty obvious right away that he was completely overmatched.

Like you said, if we get into a dog fight with a horrible UNC team and slog our way to a close or sloppy win, then it’s likely SOS.

This was super sloppy and really disheartening to watch. People keep talking about the number 8 team. Florida reminds me of that Ped State team that came down here and was supposedly preseason number 1. We lost a close one on the Fields catch. That Ped State team wound up being a fraud just like this Florida team.

All valid points.

I was at that game in the rain and I wonder had it happened today, how many people on here would be railing Butch's play calling and clock management, not to mention the two young kids, Rumph and Reed who got beat and were out of position when giving up the winning TDs.

It's a long season. Think it's too early to be throwing around the 100% guaranteed hot takes about coaches and players some on here are.

Advertisement
What hurts the most is that UF isn’t very good. This was the perfect game to introduce the world to “The New Miami” and it didn’t happen.

- The story of the game is that our freshman tackles got dominated. The coaches gambled by not playing the Scaife at tackle and it backfired. Campbell and Nelson did not look ready physically or mentally against UF’s much older DEs. Do you go back to Scaife and risk killing your young players’ confidence? Barry may not have a choice.

- Jarren looked good under tough circumstances. I liked his poise. But we said similar things about Kyle Wright after FSU ‘05 and Stephen Morris after Maryland ‘11. The key will be his consistency in the ACC. He threw some dimes today.

- In the offseason, Manny talked a lot about special teams and tackling being the difference in opening games. The missed tackles on the Toney run were devastating and special teams had two critical errors. There were 114 yards in penalties, too. Not a great start for Manny but it’s a long season.

There are two weeks before the next game. North Carolina is garbage but they have a new staff and should be fired up to play at home. That game will be telling as to whether anything has changed or it is the same old story.

My thing is what did Nelson and Campbell look like in practices that won them their jobs. Our heralded DL had one sack yesterday. It is somewhat obvious that they weren’t prepared for this game, but what does that say about our DE’s.

What hurts the most is that a year later we are no different then last year.

We don’t know what we have with Enos yet so it’s not entirely right to judge.

Special teams needs its own dedicated coach.... not Patke.

What hurts the most is that a year later we are no different then last year.
Special teams needs its own dedicated coach.... not Patke.
No, Special Teams needed their own dedicated bling. Clearly that’s why we lost this game and I put that squarely on Manny as the Head Man. He spent too much time and attention on the “The New TO Chain” and on the fantastic “rings”. SMH.

Advertisement
Still can't tackle on defense. Manny, even as a first time HC, was startlingly disorganized.

Gotta stick with the young guys and take the long term approach. QB has to do a better job throwing it away or hitting checkdown, and these guys need to play in order to get better. That was a hostile environment, and the play calling wasn’t able to help as much as it should have because we had to keep it a bit more basic just to be able to get plays off.

They are who we thought they were. We had chances to win the game and didn’t quite manage to.

UNC will tell us a lot.

Advertisement
In summary, the thing that hurts the most for everyone is this feels like the exact same team with similar problems as the last few regimes. Terrible procedure penalties. Poor o-line play. Position and depth holes. Questionable offensive scheme or adjustments. Inept special teams. A lack of killer instinct when you have a chance to put the game away or steal it. Meet The New Miami, same as the Old Miami

Last edited:
Did yall not see scaife get beat a few times? What do you think would have happened to him at tackle playing quicker guys?

Okay, I've put down the bottle in my puddle of tears. Aside from all the things wrong, and there were plenty, a couple of serious positives are peaking through my dying brain cells.

Team did NOT quit.

Williams looked better than any QB since Berlin. Sure he could of throw more away instead of being a tackling dummy, but NO picks. No picks in game where runners did little to control the ball and gators were crawling all over him is a very good sat. Now those sacks might have destroyed his future but only time will tell. Kid brought us back and had us in the lead in 4th.

I've never been all in on Manny(I am BBB), and yesterday's little show of repeated 5 yard offensive penalties gave me flashbacks to Randy, there is one thing I liked. He had fire in his gut, yelling at defense to frigging just tackle and we win. Kid has long way to go but he will at least make noise along the way. Now the big test comes. Does his team react with getting up and kicking the crap out of rest of opponents or will we see another does of 3 or 4 losses while they mope. That will determine Manny's future.

Oh, big kudos to our fans at game. Loud and out there through out. We had the suckers and their knew it. They got lucky to escape. Had the game been at The Rock, we win large. We remain the best fans anywhere.

I don't want to be negative so I'm pouring one last drink and going back to sleep. Go Canes.

Advertisement
Back