What hurts the most

I had no issue with him in the wildcat. He was a great distraction and played well with Dallas. Wish we would’ve attempted a pass with Martell. My issue is when he is out running routes in the fourth quarter when we can plug in Hightower, Wiggins, Harley, Irvin or Mallory, etc. into the game
Tate was getting open when he was in the game.

Advertisement
There was also a very returnable KO that he didn’t take out of the end zone. Something seemed off with him mentally.

He shouldn't be back there he did the same thing last year against GA Tech. Its on the coaches if they keep putting him out there.

What hurts the most is that UF isn’t very good. This was the perfect game to introduce the world to “The New Miami” and it didn’t happen.

- The story of the game is that our freshman tackles got dominated. The coaches gambled by not playing the Scaife at tackle and it backfired. Campbell and Nelson did not look ready physically or mentally against UF’s much older DEs. Do you go back to Scaife and risk killing your young players’ confidence? Barry may not have a choice.

- Jarren looked good under tough circumstances. I liked his poise. But we said similar things about Kyle Wright after FSU ‘05 and Stephen Morris after Maryland ‘11. The key will be his consistency in the ACC. He threw some dimes today.

- In the offseason, Manny talked a lot about special teams and tackling being the difference in opening games. The missed tackles on the Toney run were devastating and special teams had two critical errors. There were 114 yards in penalties, too. Not a great start for Manny but it’s a long season.

There are two weeks before the next game. North Carolina is garbage but they have a new staff and should be fired up to play at home. That game will be telling as to whether anything has changed or it is the same old story.
Mind boggling that Zion didn't get more help. Enos knew what was coming and he kept leaving him alone.

Advertisement
Still can't tackle on defense. Manny, even as a first time HC, was startlingly disorganized.
Actually it's not too surprising. It a learning experience for them to work as a team. In 98 and 99 people railed about Butch not being a good game day coach. But yesterday it was really painful to watch.

PS: the tacking got better as the game went on.

Image result for PAm crying gif

My thing is what did Nelson and Campbell look like in practices that won them their jobs. Our heralded DL had one sack yesterday. It is somewhat obvious that they weren’t prepared for this game, but what does that say about our DE’s.
I don't think you can pass judgment on the DEs. Reading BlackVern's thread and a replay of game in skycam view, it was clear that Mullen knew his offensive line needed help and used their TE to help block the edges. The also utilized the short passing game, but took a few shots down field.

What was disappointing is that Enos only used the TE 3 times to help the tackle block Florida's DEs. Another factor was that Jarren was holding the ball way too long.

Advertisement
Grantham ran into two QB’s making their first start behind bad O lines. He blitzed all night and made it obvious they weren’t ready for the limelight
The 2014 line wasn’t that bad. Kaaya has no mobility and it was his first career start on the road like you said. Think Miami beats Louisville if Ryan Williams was qb but that’s obviously in the past.

The 2014 line wasn’t that bad. Kaaya has no mobility and it was his first career start on the road like you said. Think Miami beats Louisville if Ryan Williams was qb but that’s obviously in the past.

Agree they were a lot better than what we got now. Williams probably would’ve made it competitive that night and gave us a shot to win. Kaaya got thrown to the wolves and it impacted his whole career

Advertisement
What hurts most is that we lost.

LSU wasn't that great in game #1 last year, either.

UF beat LSU last year.

I'd take Mullen and UF over LSU again this year.

And even without UF and FSU being on top of their games, they're still dangerous - because they still can recruit lots of big-time players.

But I'd take our talent over both UF and FSU this year - but you have to WIN.

Disappointing game with an offense that did virtually nothing.

Don't recall a DT getting in the backfield on any of the plays.

The OL is still a sieve.

We'll see.

What hurts the most is that UF isn’t very good. This was the perfect game to introduce the world to “The New Miami” and it didn’t happen.

- The story of the game is that our freshman tackles got dominated. The coaches gambled by not playing the Scaife at tackle and it backfired. Campbell and Nelson did not look ready physically or mentally against UF’s much older DEs. Do you go back to Scaife and risk killing your young players’ confidence? Barry may not have a choice.

- Jarren looked good under tough circumstances. I liked his poise. But we said similar things about Kyle Wright after FSU ‘05 and Stephen Morris after Maryland ‘11. The key will be his consistency in the ACC. He threw some dimes today.

- In the offseason, Manny talked a lot about special teams and tackling being the difference in opening games. The missed tackles on the Toney run were devastating and special teams had two critical errors. There were 114 yards in penalties, too. Not a great start for Manny but it’s a long season.

There are two weeks before the next game. North Carolina is garbage but they have a new staff and should be fired up to play at home. That game will be telling as to whether anything has changed or it is the same old story.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back