We interviewed Rhett Lashlee for OC today; expected to interview Robert Anae today as well

He’s too simplistic. He wins a lot of games on talent alone. He does have some innovative tendencies, but he becomes too predictive at times which hurts the flow of their offense.

Gus=Jimbo

Both are lucky they had a game changing QB at the right time. And both have been average when they haven't had Cam and Winston.

Advertisement
As long as Diaz is the HC doesn’t matter who he hired as OC.

Completely understand this thought but, for once in his tenure as head coach, he is actually backing his words up with this interview. Maybe, just maybe, he's starting to see a little bit of the light past his giant ego.

Gus had to call plays to keep from getting fired due to Lashlee’s incompetence.

MAybe he got a lot better after getting fired, but that bowl game last week was an abomination.
Lashlee had those boys Top 20 every year except that 2016 season, which again, was shameful, and as you said almost cost Gus his job. It would appear that year was the anomaly and not the norm. They started like 6 qb's that season or something crazy. I think they even had a kicker playing WR that year (something we've seen as Canes fans). Their offense was basically give the ball to Kerryon.

BUT -- that speaks to something else though. Lashlee was partly responsible for recruiting that team. So if the team's personnel was garbage (Sean White as a qb -- really???), then what does that say about his evaluation skills? That's the red flag I'm looking at .

Advertisement
in 2013 Lashlee helped Tigers finish #2 overall and SEC Champs. His O averaged 501 yards per game. He averaged 328 rushing yards per game. Tre Mason led the way with 23 TDs. Nick Marshall had 2nd most with 12 rushing TDs....

We cant score 12 TDs, so this Lashlee thing would be good.

Why do ya'll care about the name? I don't care who we hire as long as it's the right hire that yield results. No matter who is hired we all should reserve judgment until we see the results at the end of the season. We could hire the best OC ever. If he can't get the players to perform than it's a failure. We can hire the worst OC and if we produce it's a success. No matter who is hired we won't know if it's a good hire until after the season.

Enos seemed like a great hire. That went to shiitt quickly before it looked like we turned a corner and the offense was clicking and then it turned to shiitt once again.

Lashlee had those boys Top 20 every year except that 2016 season, which again, was shameful, and as you said almost cost Gus his job. It would appear that year was the anomaly and not the norm. They started like 6 qb's that season or something crazy. I think they even had a kicker playing WR that year (something we've seen as Canes fans). Their offense was basically give the ball to Kerryon.

BUT -- that speaks to something else though. Lashlee was partly responsible for recruiting that team. So if the team's personnel was garbage (Sean White as a qb -- really???), then what does that say about his evaluation skills? That's the red flag I'm looking at .

An interesting thought. Hopefully there is some evidence that he's improved his evaluation/decision making skills since then.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Before y’all get too busy researching numbers ...

Lashlee only called the O in 2016. Before then, it was all Gus. Auburn started slow, and Gus gave the play calling to Lashlee. Things didn’t really improve.

Some of that was because Lashlee wanted to do some different stuff, and Gus didn’t agree. Some of it was probably a trust thing ... As Lashlee didn’t know much outside of Gus. So, Lashlee left to call plays.

And it’s not uncommon for a coach to take a step back in pay to increase their skills. Gus took a pay cut to be HC at Arkansas State. Then went back to Auburn after they fired Mean Gene.

Advertisement
I wonder how many "Gone With The Wind" jokes Manny made during the interview...

I just want to know if Beta Blake gave him a wet-fish handshake and then ran out of the room shrieking...
Word is it was low key & no jokes. Mentioned wanting an OC who wouldn't mind working alongside Alpha Alonzo. Lashlee said, Who? What?

Advertisement
Back